Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Truthowl
Truthowl began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 32g
Tag browser sort alphabetically by author?

I've used calibre for years and I love it. However, I have a long standing problem I don't think is currently possible to remedy. But maybe someone knows how to do this?

In the UI, the section for the Tag Browser. If I select Author, it drops down and lists all the authors underneath the tag Authors. But that list is not alphabetically ordered. So trying to find the author "Jim Butcher" for instance, can be fairly difficult if you have a lot of authors in your collection. Now I know I can use the search bar to limit what I'm looking at in the book list. But what I want is a quick and easy way to list my authors. Can I somehow change the order of the tag Authors in the Tag Browser?

Any constructive help would be appreciated.
Truthowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthowl View Post
I've used calibre for years and I love it. However, I have a long standing problem I don't think is currently possible to remedy. But maybe someone knows how to do this?

In the UI, the section for the Tag Browser. If I select Author, it drops down and lists all the authors underneath the tag Authors. But that list is not alphabetically ordered. So trying to find the author "Jim Butcher" for instance, can be fairly difficult if you have a lot of authors in your collection. Now I know I can use the search bar to limit what I'm looking at in the book list. But what I want is a quick and easy way to list my authors. Can I somehow change the order of the tag Authors in the Tag Browser?

Any constructive help would be appreciated.
Not Normal for a properly maintained set of metadata.
The Tag Browser normally uses Author Sort:
Get the Quality check Plugin and run the Check Metadata: (Authors tests)
Fix issues (The Fix:Swap authors Fn,Ln is a fast (flip) fix for SELECTED names

Couple of questions :
How many books total?
How many Authors total?

Reason: for Big tag lists, I fined Partitioned is easier.
(Preferences: Look and Feel: Tag Browser (tab): Partition: first Letter
Butcher would be alphabetically under B if the sort was Ln, Fn
Jim under J if you are a Fn Ln (all the Jims are sorted by Middle then last name)

BTW this all assumes that your Alter Tag Browser setting (Button at the bottom) is set to: By Name
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Click the alter tag browser button underneath the tag browser and change sort by to name, you probably have it set to number or popularity.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
Truthowl

Here's a screenshot

here it is as a link. It's at my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqoj486dve...01.09.png?dl=0

The screenshot clearly shows it's not sorting by Fn, Ln or Ln, Fn. I don't know what to do or think. It's probably something simple I'm overlooking then. Seems that's usually the case.... Holy crud.... It IS sorting. It's doing it by Ln, Fn but it's keeping FN, LN in the actual list. Weird.

Okay, is there any way to make it so when it's sorting by Ln, Fn that it actually shows the list as Ln, Fn in the Tag Browser?

Oh, and first names and last names are in their proper place. Meaning with Jim Butcher, Jim is in the first name field and Butcher is in the Last Name field.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthowl View Post
Holy crud.... It IS sorting. It's doing it by Ln, Fn but it's keeping FN, LN in the actual list. Weird.

Okay, is there any way to make it so when it's sorting by Ln, Fn that it actually shows the list as Ln, Fn in the Tag Browser?
See Preferences / Tweaks "Use author sort in Tag Browser (ID: categories_use_field_for_author_name)"
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
Truthowl

Thank you very much.

Tags
alphabetical order, sort, tag browser