Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2015, 02:43 AM   #1456
micione20
Enthusiast
micione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: kobo
good news. i m not good at all with solder...;(
micione20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:19 AM   #1457
micione20
Enthusiast
micione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Also is it possible to read full screen? Without (or almost) margins? This is most important to me
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 04:26 AM   #1458
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe KOReader has that option, yes.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #1459
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by micione20 View Post
Can pw3 have duokam?
Didn't want to continue talking about Duokan, but if you're desperately needing it and can't do hardware-jb: I remember there was a post explaining how to strip Duokan down and run its reader just as an app inside Kindle without installing the whole crap. I'm sure, because I have it on mine (not installed!) but never use it as I have KPV/KOReader which works wonders for me. You gotta search a bit, and you'll find it.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:14 PM   #1460
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That still requires a hardware jailbreak to inject. Can't run non-Amazon-approved code without a jailbreak.
Advert
Old 09-04-2015, 02:51 AM   #1461
micione20
Enthusiast

i don t seek for duokan desperately. i seek for a customizable reader.
so i would love to install koreader , kual, mickey mouse , or minnie reader.

i dont mind whatever , if this disturb you, about duokan.

but i ve read i just to open kindle, solder on motherboard,
and i m not able to do this.

so i will go through kobo and bye to our love story with amazon
Old 09-04-2015, 02:53 AM   #1462
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It seems a bit strange to buy a Kindle if you want to read ePub books. As you suggest, buying a Kobo or another ePub device would perhaps be a more sensible choice if that's what your requirements are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #1463
palbeda
palbeda began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Duokan on the PW3

For those who want to try Duokan on the PW3, do not bother, the installation software does not recognize the PW3 and aborts the installation. Koreader on the other hand works just fine on the PW3....
palbeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:29 AM   #1464
palbeda
palbeda began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It seems a bit strange to buy a Kindle if you want to read ePub books. As you suggest, buying a Kobo or another ePub device would perhaps be a more sensible choice if that's what your requirements are.
Plus you can use Calibre very easy to convert EPUB to MOBI....
palbeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:58 AM   #1465
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

That's because KOReader is community-minded and cooperates with the MobileRead jailbreaking efforts.

Whereas Duokan rips off our jailbreak, and assumes it will install the jailbreak as well.
They don't provide a method of working with a serial jailbreak, like we do here.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #1466
simonchik
Enthusiast
simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, kobo touch N905
Duokan 2014 on K3W

Hello everyone,
Just tried to install Duokan (2012 then lite 2014? anyway, this one:duokan xKindle_2014-09-11.36203.rtm ) on a jailbreaked K3W with firmware 3.4 (was done a long time ago don't exactly remember what I did then), but anyway this is how I installed it:
-- copy the DK_System folder to /mnt/us
-- cd /mnt/us/DK_System/install ; sh DuoKanInstall.sh

Actually the first time I did it with Duokan 2012 (is it? _K3_2012-10-26.16987.rtm.rtm.zip), but uninstalled it because when I tried it it didn't display correctly my vertical epubs (** might have been a settings problem)

It works like a charm, many many very good features that are not present anywhere, one of them being the correct rendering of CJK vertical text on epubs.

Some remarks:
-- OTF and type1 fonts don't work at all. CJK ttf fonts work, not all of them and I haven't been able to figure out why. If anybody knows. For instance, msmincho.ttc obviously works, but for instance AozoraMinchoLight.ttf doesn't (avaiable here: http://blueskis.wktk.so/AozoraMincho/index.html) It _does_ work though if I export them to type1 forcing the encoding to unicode, them opening the type1 in fontforge, making sure that the unicode encoding is good, and generating a truetype (no otf).

-- the miniftpd server is nice, but i'd like to make my own emailing system (done that on an old kobo), and also to use ssh, but for that I need duokan to update the library, right now can only do that with a reboot (dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1 doesn't seem to work). Anybody knows?

-- the vertical glyphs (GSUB table, for instance u3002 -> u3002.vert) aren't displayed correctly as far as I can tell. Before hacking and making fonts with vertical glyphs instead of horizontal ones, does anyone know if there is a better way?

-- to test a vertical epub, I'd recommend this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...9&d=1370779912

Thank you for everything!

PS: I'd be more than happy to use CoolReader/FBReader/whatever but I'm almost sure CJK support is not as good, and unfortunately I need it................................
simonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #1467
simonchik
Enthusiast
simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

PS: Does anyone know how to change the ugly TTS and add new ones? (not the stardict-only hack) but it is at all possible??
Old 02-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #1468
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchik View Post
PS: Does anyone know how to change the ugly TTS and add new ones? (not the stardict-only hack) but it is at all possible??
On Doukan?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #1469
simonchik
Enthusiast

Yes, on duokan..
Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 PM   #1470
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchik View Post
Yes, on duokan..
Wrong forum.
Get your support from here:
http://www.miui.com/forum-490-1.html

The following via google translate -

The "jail break" thread:

https://translate.google.com/transla...tml&edit-text=

Of possible interest to this forum's developers -

The "how to jail break" link points to -
https://translate.google.com/transla...665&edit-text=

Your really going to enjoy the pictures (and all of the credit given).

= = = = =

I was going to leave this post as above - but for those who always read the end of the book first:
Spoiler:

The Duokan project forum points to a "How To install KOreader" after using the (borrowed) 5.6.5 jailbreak.

That probably answers the earlier questions about miui.com updating Duokan for the 7th Generation devices.

Last edited by knc1; 02-16-2016 at 09:10 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf