Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Pocketbook 360 USB issue

So I just got a Pocketbook 360, yeah I know I didn't really need another reader but darn it, the Pocketbooks just look too cool.

Overall I am happy with it, it arrived this week.

One thing though is that it doesn't seem to like to connect to my computer using the USB cable. I don't have a SD slot on my computer and so don't normally use SD cards.

The first time I hooked it up with the USB cable it charged it, but did not actually show up as a device on the machine. So I unplugged it, checked to make sure the connection was tight and then tried again. It worked then. Since then though when I try to load books it sometimes talks to the computer on the first time, but sometimes it takes a couple of tries.

Is this a firmware issue? Could I have a bad USB cable? Suggestions ideas?

I am running Windows Vista Home Pro, I use Calibre (which when the Pocketbook is talking to the computer properly see's it) and I am not sure which firmware version on my Pocketbook.

Edit:

I think I figured out the problem? It seems that when I have Adobe Digital Editions already open it causes the Pocketbook to not be read properly by the computer? Not sure why that could happen though?*scratches head*

Amy

Last edited by sassanik; 01-02-2010 at 07:56 AM.
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi Amy

I too have Windows Vista Home and I can't remember getting this problem with ADE.

However I know that if I have Calibre already open when I plug in the PocketBook - it does take quite a while (several minutes) before the PocketBook shows up as a device in there. So could it be that it does eventually show up in ADE if you leave it for a while?

Anyway I will try it with ADE this evening to see if I also get the same thing happening - could be an odd bug. At least there is a workaround.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Have you already checked your USB Settings in the Configuration of PocketBook ? Should be set to data transfer or something like that.

Are you using an direct USB Port? If no try USB Port on the backside of your computer without any usb hub (if you are using such).

Has it worked any time? If yes, try to remember what USB Port you have used first and plug it in there.

Ulli
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
I had this problem when I first got my 360 and Yar-PocketBooker solved the issue for me. I just changed the USB settings Settings > USB Mode > Ask when connected. Have the reader on before you connect to your PC. When you connect the 360, you will be prompted to choose PC Link (default) or Charge.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
I had this problem when I first got my 360 and Yar-PocketBooker solved the issue for me. I just changed the USB settings Settings > USB Mode > Ask when connected. Have the reader on before you connect to your PC. When you connect the 360, you will be prompted to choose PC Link (default) or Charge.
Yes, this works as well as don't forget to make sure that your PB360 is "ON" before you connect you to your PC.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On

Well turning the Pocketbook 360 on before I hook it up to the computer seems to work very well. I have not had it hang again.

Turning it on beforehand seems counterintuitive to me, but oh well as long as it works!

On a side note, does the battery display not update properly? Because mine shows my battery at 100% all the time. I thought that there was a thread about this but I can't seem to find it now.

Amy

Last edited by sassanik; 01-09-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: battery question
Old 01-10-2010, 02:29 AM   #7
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Hi Amy,

the battery display does indeed not update properly, so make sure you charge the PB 360 a whole night every now and then (I do this every 5 day or so to be sure). I've had huge problems with the PB 360 going crazy, until I found out that it was only because the battery was almost empty but still showing 100%. I discussed this in the german part of the forum, but I don't remember if I did too in the english one.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
That's interesting that the battery display doesn't work correctly on the PB360 because it's worked great on my PB301. I read on it 30 minutes after it had gone down to 0 bars before I finally broke down and charged it. I had to charge my Cybook at 40% because it became unpredictable when the battery would die after that.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
That's interesting that the battery display doesn't work correctly on the PB360 because it's worked great on my PB301. I read on it 30 minutes after it had gone down to 0 bars before I finally broke down and charged it. I had to charge my Cybook at 40% because it became unpredictable when the battery would die after that.
The battery display seems to work fine on my PB360, goes down steadily as I would expect it to so not a universal problem.

The one thing I have noted is that when it tells me it needs to be recharged, it really means to do so pretty much right away. Whereas on my Sony prs-600 I get about 3-4 warnings and you can read hundreds more pages before it actually gives out. I have to remember the difference between the two.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
I have no problems with the battery display too.
Did you load it full before the first use ?
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #11
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
I have no problems with the battery display too.
Did you load it full before the first use ?
No, she didn't! Not at all! But sshhh!

Battery is displaying quite correctly now but you really should recharge at once when being warned and I mean at once!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:13 AM   #12
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post

Battery is displaying quite correctly now but you really should recharge at once when being warned and I mean at once!
mt How could you ??!!! Now they all know how dumb I am !!!! Gee, should I take back what I said in your birthday thread ???

To clear things: I did recharge it. Not very long. My nailpolish was dry by then, what should a girl do ?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:10 AM   #13
sassanik
Guru

ack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post

Ack! You figured me out! To be fair when I got it and took it out of the box it showed that it had a full charge so I just downloaded a few books and started reading.

Amy
Old 01-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Ack! You figured me out! To be fair when I got it and took it out of the box it showed that it had a full charge so I just downloaded a few books and started reading.

Amy
Well Amy, I did exactly the same thing so it might be the reason why. I thought Ulli and mtravellerh were pulling my leg about this (since we discussed it on the german board, and I was taught better about the battery). Sorry if I confused anyone with my answer.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
poshm
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Well Amy, I did exactly the same thing so it might be the reason why. I thought Ulli and mtravellerh were pulling my leg about this (since we discussed it on the german board, and I was taught better about the battery). Sorry if I confused anyone with my answer.
Maybe it's a female thing as I too just turned it on, saw that it worked and started to use it - waste time charging it up when I could be getting started on my first read, no way! luckily I've had no battery probs!