Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #106
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Got to love the block feature. No matter what jswiden says, I see none of it. Including what ever the heck he said that I quoted here lol. He needs to find something to do other than spam his hate of the paperwhite on every thread he finds.
You know you posted this in a thread specifically for people who are looking for PW alternatives after having had bad experiences with one or more of them, right? A little thread-clicking caution would help if you are sensitive to people being unhappy with the device.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #107
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Gosh, this sounds a bit more complicated than I am now used to, now that I can actually buy books in any given format.
I have not converted books since....kindle.
It sounds more complicated than it actually is, trust me. You just have to pull up that screen and type in [EBOK] and then choose convert. That's it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #108
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Sparklemotion, I don't even have calibre. I keep thinking I should start freeing my books for the future, but the Kindle ecosystem does not seem to be going anywhere anytime soon, so I keep pushing it off.

Maybe next rainy weekend...
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #109
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
It sounds more complicated than it actually is, trust me. You just have to pull up that screen and type in [EBOK] and then choose convert. That's it.
You can set that permanently in preferences so you don't have to enter each time. There's no need to have pdoc tag in there when all you do to change it is to send via email or send to kindle for it to show up as a document instead of a book.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #110
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You can set that permanently in preferences so you don't have to enter each time. There's no need to have pdoc tag in there when all you do to change it is to send via email or send to kindle for it to show up as a document instead of a book.
Oh yes, I do know you can set it permanently, but thanks for mentioning it. I should have added that.

I wonder if I send them via email, or send to kindle, if it will still show the "personal" banner on the PW. (I never do it that way) It likely still will, but I guess I should try just to see. The "personal" banner bothers me a little bit for sideloaded books. :\
Old 10-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #111
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Oh yes, I do know you can set it permanently, but thanks for mentioning it. I should have added that.

I wonder if I send them via email, or send to kindle, if it will still show the "personal" banner on the PW. (I never do it that way) It likely still will, but I guess I should try just to see. The "personal" banner bothers me a little bit for sideloaded books. :\
Yes if you do it that way they will always be personal documents. I only use pdocs on my Kindle. I like to sync my last read, notes and bookmarks between my Kindles.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #112
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Ah I see. Thanks Blossom!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #113
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Mighty Bright Travel Flex. It's a great light and requires only 1 AAA (I use rechargeables which last for ages between charges).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mighty-Brigh.../dp/1935009362

Apart from that, the Kobo Glo looks okay. Personally I'll stick with my travelflex for now. The only issue one should be aware of is that it may not be compatible with all cases.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #114
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
About to pull the trigger on a reasonably inexpensive ($9.99) Marware case and the TravelFlex light and go back to my KK for now. I went back to reading on my KK last night, and the only problem I have (other than the annoyance of the Kandle light and my cheap 2032 batteries for it) is occasionally bumping the page turn buttons accidentally.

I'm not 100% sure how well the TravelFlex will work with the case I'm getting, but I've been staring at cases and lights till I'm blue in the face and I'll make it work somehow.

Even if I get a new/"fixed" PW later on, spending ~$20 now to upgrade my reading experience till then (without tearing my hair out on the return-go-round) seems worth it. Maybe by the time the PW is fixed, we will also have some idea of a Kobo Glo U.S. launch.

Thanks to everyone for the light suggestions.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #115
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
About to pull the trigger on a reasonably inexpensive ($9.99) Marware case and the TravelFlex light and go back to my KK for now. I went back to reading on my KK last night, and the only problem I have (other than the annoyance of the Kandle light and my cheap 2032 batteries for it) is occasionally bumping the page turn buttons accidentally.

I'm not 100% sure how well the TravelFlex will work with the case I'm getting, but I've been staring at cases and lights till I'm blue in the face and I'll make it work somehow.

Even if I get a new/"fixed" PW later on, spending ~$20 now to upgrade my reading experience till then (without tearing my hair out on the return-go-round) seems worth it. Maybe by the time the PW is fixed, we will also have some idea of a Kobo Glo U.S. launch.

When all else fails, duct tape!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #116
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post

It will work fine. Clip to spine or behind the Kindle.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #117
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Off Topic-

@Blossom - is there any advantage to having the [EBOK] tag as opposed to just leaving it blank?....back when this all started with the first Fire I set my prefences to leave it blank and have been converting that way ever since. Is there a reason for me to reset the field to [EBOK] and reconvert all of my library?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #118
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Off Topic-

@Blossom - is there any advantage to having the [EBOK] tag as opposed to just leaving it blank?....back when this all started with the first Fire I set my prefences to leave it blank and have been converting that way ever since. Is there a reason for me to reset the field to [EBOK] and reconvert all of my library?
If leaving it blanks works for you then I would just leave it that way. It's just some books seem to be stubborn and need the ebok tag to tell it where to be found under.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #119
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
If leaving it blanks works for you then I would just leave it that way. It's just some books seem to be stubborn and need the ebok tag to tell it where to be found under.
Thanks! I'll do something else on my next rainy day!!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #120
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Good question. I bet it does since that is the way the Kindle for iPad does it, I think. I know it has Books and Documents categories.
Yes, books are displayed together -- both those downloaded from Amazon's Cloud and those that are sideloaded, either manually or through Calibre. The covers display beautifully with the1280x800 display. When 'Library' is selected, the sorting options are:

All Items
Downloaded Items
Archived Items
Periodicals
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote