Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
ES File Explorer

Is there an app like android's ES File Explorer available for the iPad that would allow you to access and transfer files from your computer to the iPad

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
sapphiresilver
Connoisseur
sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Amazon Oasis 2, Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro
Goodreader is what I use as a file manager.
sapphiresilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
What sort of files do you want to move around? and why not use itunes to transfer files used by particular applications, directly to them (if it can't be done, thats down to the app developer, not itunes.)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Try Files Pro. Or better yet, try the free version and upgrade if it does what you want .

It's not like ES file explorer because ios doesn't work the same way as andriod. In ios, apps are "sandboxed". Users and other apps have no access to another app's data except through ios' "open in" function. What Files Pro (and other apps like it) do is set up a central file cache. You can transfer files to and from this cache to your computer via wifi and a web browser, usb or email. Dropbox and other cloud sevices have almost* killed the need for this type of app.

Once in the cache, you can view the file contents (for supported files), or edit or view them in another app via the "open in" function.

So it kind of goes like this:

I have a PDF that I want to annotate while I travel to a client. I start Files on the ipad and upload the pdf to Files using my web browser. I navigate to the PDF, and use "open in" to send it to Good Reader. I do my annotations while on the bus (can't use the ipad while driving ) in Good Reader and save. Once saved, I use Good Reader's "open in" function to send it back to Files (I know, I know, Good Reader has its own WebDav support, it's just an example ). At the client's office, I use a web browser to upload the PDF to their computer.

*One advantage these apps have over cloud apps is that internet is not required. You can create an ad-hoc network with just a wifi computer and an ipad and still transfer files back and forth without internet access.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphiresilver View Post
Goodreader is what I use as a file manager.
I've been seeing Goodreader recommended by people. I take it it's more than just a PDF reader?

Carol
Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
What sort of files do you want to move around? and why not use itunes to transfer files used by particular applications, directly to them (if it can't be done, thats down to the app developer, not itunes.)
No particular files at the moment. This is my first iPad and I was just curious.

Carol
Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Try Files Pro. Or better yet, try the free version and upgrade if it does what you want .

It's not like ES file explorer because ios doesn't work the same way as andriod. In ios, apps are "sandboxed". Users and other apps have no access to another app's data except through ios' "open in" function. What Files Pro (and other apps like it) do is set up a central file cache. You can transfer files to and from this cache to your computer via wifi and a web browser, usb or email. Dropbox and other cloud sevices have almost* killed the need for this type of app.

Once in the cache, you can view the file contents (for supported files), or edit or view them in another app via the "open in" function.

So it kind of goes like this:

I have a PDF that I want to annotate while I travel to a client. I start Files on the ipad and upload the pdf to Files using my web browser. I navigate to the PDF, and use "open in" to send it to Good Reader. I do my annotations while on the bus (can't use the ipad while driving ) in Good Reader and save. Once saved, I use Good Reader's "open in" function to send it back to Files (I know, I know, Good Reader has its own WebDav support, it's just an example ). At the client's office, I use a web browser to upload the PDF to their computer.
I do have Dropbox. So these apps work the same as Dropbox, and if I have Dropbox I really don't need these apps? Will have to check out Good Reader.

Quote:
*One advantage these apps have over cloud apps is that internet is not required. You can create an ad-hoc network with just a wifi computer and an ipad and still transfer files back and forth without internet access.
Not sure if that will be over my head a little.

Carol
Old 05-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
It's not like ES file explorer because ios doesn't work the same way as andriod. In ios, apps are "sandboxed". Users and other apps have no access to another app's data except through ios' "open in" function.
Let me correct you there; on Android the same applies, apps can't see other apps' data, the app private data is also sandboxed. However, on a rooted phone a file explorer that has root access (like RootExplorer or SolidExplorer) can access all data.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I do have Dropbox. So these apps work the same as Dropbox, and if I have Dropbox I really don't need these apps? Will have to check out Good Reader.
As long as you have an internet connection, Dropbox will do the same. In fact many apps have Dropbox integration. It's when you don't have internet access or iTunes that you need them.

I use my ipod as a PDA. At work, no wifi and iTunes is not allowed on the company computers. I do, however, have a laptop with wifi so I set up an ad-hoc network on the laptop and transfer stuff to my ipod using Files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Not sure if that will be over my head a little.

Carol
Windows 7 has a wizard for it
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ad-hoc-network

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Let me correct you there; on Android the same applies, apps can't see other apps' data, the app private data is also sandboxed. However, on a rooted phone a file explorer that has root access (like RootExplorer or SolidExplorer) can access all data.
True, but for simplicity I was just talking about user data save in a folder on /mnt/sdcard or /mnt/extsdcard. Not that many people want to go poking around in an apps settings database.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I have very little experience with Android, but I don't think that you need to be rooted to use the same file between several apps. You can (I think) put a file in a common area similar to "my documents" on Windows or Mac OS and any app that can read this file type will be able to access it. The fact that iOS does not allow this very basic functionality is extremely annoying.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I have very little experience with Android, but I don't think that you need to be rooted to use the same file between several apps. You can (I think) put a file in a common area similar to "my documents" on Windows or Mac OS and any app that can read this file type will be able to access it.
True, up to a point. The app you are using would have to include a file manager function to open/save to any folder. Many apps just create a default folder, and open/save from there. You can, however, navigate to the file with a file manager app and open it from the file list. If you haven't set a default app for the file type, you'll get a list of the apps that can handle that file type and you can choose which app to use. Whether or not the app you choose will actually open the file from that location or just give you an error message depends on the quality of the app

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
The fact that iOS does not allow this very basic functionality is extremely annoying.
Also true . But getting better with the "Open In" function.
I still remember using PalmOs, and having to use Palm Destop to get anything out of my PDA and onto my computer. Arrrrghhh!