Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
johnnyr
Connoisseur
johnnyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Way to speed up Calibre?

Hey guys. I'm trying to import some book, but I find that calibre takes a long time to import even one book (like....30 seconds)

Is this the same for everyone? I have an E6600, s I'm not runnin ga PII or something

Thanks,

John
johnnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
What version of Calibre are you using? I haven't had it take that long since I upgraded to the version that switched from keeping everything in a big database file (somewhere around 4.83 or so).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
johnnyr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
What version of Calibre are you using? I haven't had it take that long since I upgraded to the version that switched from keeping everything in a big database file (somewhere around 4.83 or so).
I'm using 4.104....that is the newest, right?

I love the program, so far it's been great, but importing books is taking kind of a long time, and I'm afraid to do too many at once lest the program freeze up completely.

Last edited by johnnyr; 11-12-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Hmmm. I usually import only html in zips - having extracted books and "cleaned up" to my preferences first. But it takes seconds...3, 4 ,5...not 30 or 40. It takes longer to convert them, but not to import.

Perhaps one of the other members has a suggestion...

Sorry!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
johnnyr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Hmmm. I usually import only html in zips - having extracted books and "cleaned up" to my preferences first. But it takes seconds...3, 4 ,5...not 30 or 40. It takes longer to convert them, but not to import.

Perhaps one of the other members has a suggestion...

Sorry!
No Problem, thanks for trying! Hopefully someone else on here might have some more ideas.
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyr View Post
Hey guys. I'm trying to import some book, but I find that calibre takes a long time to import even one book (like....30 seconds)

Is this the same for everyone? I have an E6600, s I'm not runnin ga PII or something

Thanks,

John
Well my Core 2 Quad converts books fairly fast - at least it does when it runs an operating system that takes full advantage of the 4 cores. Are you running Windows XP x64 edition or AMD64 Linux?

Last edited by AprilHare; 11-13-2008 at 01:40 AM. Reason: clarification
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:11 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
what format of books are you importing?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
johnnyr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Well my Core 2 Quad converts books fairly fast - at least it does when it runs an operating system that takes full advantage of the 4 cores. Are you running Windows XP x64 edition or AMD64 Linux?
I'm Running XP 32-bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
what format of books are you importing?
Mostly rtf & Lit, but also some pdf.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
I'm Running XP 32-bit

Mostly rtf & Lit, but also some pdf.
Then it certainly shouldn't be taking that long. Are any other operations slow? How many books do you have in your database?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
No Problem, thanks for trying! Hopefully someone else on here might have some more ideas.
Do you have some type of virus scan software? If so, turn it off and see if that makes a difference. If it does you should probably exclude your calibre folder.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Might it not also depend on where you are trying to import your books from? Also the size of the books.

Since the application copies the original file to the Calibre Library Folder then this will take long if the file is on a different drive - even longer if it is on removable media...
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I have a core2duo 1,66Ghz laptop, which imports books in a few seconds.
The longest is getting feeds from the internet.

It would be nice to have each feed have 2 downloads at a time for improved speed.
Often I notice that not my full bandwidth is used when downloading feeds from a (poor) wifi connection.

As far as importing books goes pretty fast, like mentioned, a few seconds per book.
This is probably depending on how much data you got stored and if it's stored in the SD card or internal memory.
Also, could it be your device is connected on a USB 1/1.1 connection?
If so, that may explain the slower speeds, since USB 1.1 speeds are generally 1,5Mbits and 12Mbits (183kBytes per second, or 1,4MBytes per sec.).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Its a bit of apples and oranges with the reported times on different books. Does the OP have a free problematic ebook they could upload and then folks could post times on the same book?
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #14
Kolfe
Enthusiast
Kolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Hi,

I have a library of about 6,000 books. I'm trying to add into this library a directory of about 5,000 epub books more through the add books option.

It is VERY slow. I asume it's because of the quantity of books.

Is there any way to speed up this? Or i should create another library to add my books?

which is the best practice to do this?
Kolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:21 AM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I would split the folder into several and import about 1000 at once max.
Otherrwise it may stall partway through and then you have to start over
AFAIK the time is not much different importing to an existing library.
My library is about 10 gig and importing 400 books is under an hour.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote