Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #481
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheygetz View Post
OK, it seems
Code:
Source template:{tags}
Destination field:authors
does the trick.
Sorry about author_sort vs authors issue, the Kindle formats do not use the "authors" field, they only have the "author_sort" field so I got confused which one to use. Apparently calibre treats it as the authors field, which does make sense if I actually think about it. But you figured it out without me.

"author_sort" was correctly set, but it was also being ignored altogether.
Quote:
How can I truncate the author_sort here
Code:
Source template:{author_sort}: {title}
Destination field:title
to the first author's surname, please?

I found this somewhere
Code:
{author_sort:re(([^\,]+)(\,|$)(.*),\1)}
would it do the trick, and do I really need all of these brackets. I can't find explanations for them in the online help.
That code will give you just the first author surname, using a regex, the calibre guide is here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/regexp.html and those brackets/parentheses are vital. The first parentheses tell the regex to store the match as \1, to use later, the second parentheses allow you to search for (either|or), and the third parentheses, well, actually they are unnecessary. But it doesn't hurt either.

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-25-2014 at 03:31 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #482
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
Thanks.
I have decided to use a custom hierarchical column of "genre" in place of "tags". Other than that I went with the plugboard as mentioned and actually think it is better than collections, more flexible, better handling and of course no manual piecing together on a 6" screen.

That being said: If I should ever introduce new subgenres or something else in my metadata changes, is there a way to get this info to the books on the PW w/o actually deleting them and copying them again?

Hendrik
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #483
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope. The info must be embedded into the book. As such, it must be re-transferred. The Kobo stores info in a database that calibre will write to, to update this kind of info, but Kindles just read the data directly from the file.

If you were to use jailbreak+Collections Manager Kindlet+Kindle Collections plugin, you could manage all this with Collections which can be refreshed separately.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #484
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If anyone's interested, here's an example of using a single template to simulate different templates for multiple libraries. I just set this as my save to disk template so that I could free up some disk space by consolidating my 3 copies of Calibre Portable while still keeping 3 different libraries. Thanks to eschwartz for giving me the idea for this template.

It uses the current_library_name function to identify which library you're working in, and the switch function to branch into different templates based upon each library.

Code:
program:

switch(current_library_name(),
  'Calibre Library',
  template('{#division}/{#genre}/{#authorlookup}/{series:||/}{series_index:0>3s||_}{#subseries}{#subseries_index:0>3s||_}{title}'),
  'Library - Special',
  template('{#group}/{title}'),
  'Library - Working',
  template('{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index:0>3s}_{title}'),
  template('{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index:0>3s}_{title}'))
Ignore the specifics of the individual templates; they're just based upon the way I have my libraries set up. The important part to understand is that every pair of indented lines represents one library and the template to be used with that library. The final indented line is a fallback if the current library doesn't match any of the others, which in this case is the same template as my Working library.

To add more libraries, you just have to add another pair of lines. The library names are the folder names containing the libraries. This means it only works if your library folders have unique names even if they're in different parent folders.

Note that it works even if one of the templates uses custom columns that don't exist in a different library. For instance, my Main library does not have a Group column, but that doesn't stop me from using the Group column when saving to disk from my Special library.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:52 AM   #485
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If you were to use jailbreak...
PeeWee2 here. For all I know no jailbreak available
Advert
Old 03-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #486
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheygetz View Post
PeeWee2 here. For all I know no jailbreak available
The jailbreak is available, and Collections Manager has been updated to work (albeit not all the previously available functionality), for the PW2.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:58 AM   #487
sheygetz
Connoisseur

Ah, ok, thanks for the information. I will look into it.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #488
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Question Help with a new Plugboard Please

Hi:

I am having trouble trying to get a plugboard to work correctly. I currently have where I purchased the book as part of my my title so that I can easily add them to the correct collections on a Paperwhite.

The field has names like:

1.1 Amazon
1.11 Amazon
1.2 Lendle Borrowed

I would like the first seven characters only to show up so they would look like this in the title:

1.1 Amazon --> 1.1 Ama
1.11 Amazon --> 1.11 Am

The full plugboard is this:

{tags} - {#kcollections:7.2f} - {title} - {#stripped_series:lookup(.\s,#initials,.,#shortene d,series)}{series_index:0>2s| [|] }

So the result should be:

Fantasy Series - 1.1 Ama - A Memory of Light - WoT

Can someone tell me looking at the plugboard above, where I am going wrong? I tried to follow some examples that Eschwartz posted, but it is not working with my clueless mind.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #489
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

#kcollections should be shortened to only the first three letters, in other words?

7.2f specifies a "float"-type number ("f" is for float). Floats are a type of number that accepts decimals. The 7.2 part says use 7 digits, with 2 digits after the decimal. In other words, you tried to turn a string (textual data) into a float (numerical data).

Try using {#kcollections:.3} which will default to using the "s" or string type (since you gave it a string with a name in it) and use only the first three letters. (the "precision".)

If you like, you can read an in-depth explanation on template-formatting here: http://docs.python.org/2/library/str...#formatstrings or the dumbed-down calibre-specific version here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/temp...ced-formatting.

Be warned, either one will involve gory details.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #490
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
#kcollections should be shortened to only the first three letters, in other words?

7.2f specifies a "float"-type number ("f" is for float). Floats are a type of number that accepts decimals. The 7.2 part says use 7 digits, with 2 digits after the decimal. In other words, you tried to turn a string (textual data) into a float (numerical data).

Try using {#kcollections:.3} which will default to using the "s" or string type (since you gave it a string with a name in it) and use only the first three letters. (the "precision".)

If you like, you can read an in-depth explanation on template-formatting here: http://docs.python.org/2/library/str...#formatstrings or the dumbed-down calibre-specific version here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/temp...ced-formatting.

Be warned, either one will involve gory details.
Thank you, that works perfectly. Now off to fix my collections, again!!
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:40 PM   #491
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACGAuthor View Post
Third: Has anyone figured out how to do a plugboard to strip the "personal" banner from mobi docs with PDOC the personal doc field rather than having to re-convert the files? I saw it mentioned as a possibility in another thread about getting rid of the personal banner but the person discussing it hadn't had any success. Has someone cracked this problem, yet?
Sorry for the lateness, but...

It turns out this actually is possible, quite easily too. (Despite what I said earlier.) I just learned this, and when looking back at this thread remembered the question. Assuming you haven't figured this out on your own yet...

Go to:
Preferences ==> Conversion ==> Output Options ==> MOBI Output

and in the text box marked Personal Doc tag, fill in "[EBOK]" instead of the default "[PDOC]". EBOK is the tag used by official books, PDOC is for personal documents.

Like plugboards, this will be applied on the fly as calibre sends it to your Kindle.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 AM   #492
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Go to:
Preferences ==> Conversion ==> Output Options ==> MOBI Output
Like plugboards, this will be applied on the fly as calibre sends it to your Kindle.
I might be wrong, but unlike plugboards this is only inserted in the book during a conversion.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:43 AM   #493
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I might be wrong, but unlike plugboards this is only inserted in the book during a conversion.
Nope, it turns out calibre stores all mobi7/8 books with [EBOK] and edits the EXTH field on the fly. Tried it myself, resending already-converted books.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:48 AM   #494
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC this field is updated when setting emtadata, which happens whenever a book is exported from the library. (and the update is only applied to exported copy, of course).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:01 AM   #495
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC this field is updated when setting emtadata, which happens whenever a book is exported from the library. (and the update is only applied to exported copy, of course).
Yup. Makes it much easier, I must say. I'd hate to reconvert all my books, and since EXTH fields can just be updated....

Tags
custom column, tag, tags