Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
SludgeMan
SludgeMan began at the beginning.

Device: Palm III E
Batch Conversions

I would like to do batch conversions on a screen that does not display all of my books. I have hundreds of books and am adding more all the time. Displaying all of the books I have would quickly become too confusing. Is there a way to remove books that are listed on the screen without removing them from the computer? I guess what I need is more flexibility when displaying only the books I want to work with, and removing selected books when I'm through. Is this possible with Calibre or not?
SludgeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
By 'on the screen' do you mean via the calibre GUI? If so, then the search mechanism should do what you want. Search for something by typing in the search box, and you see only the books that match that 'something'. You can go further and create a named search for the query, then use that named search in the 'restrict to' box, creating virtual sub-libraries.

Things work best if you use tags to identify books you are working on. For example, if new books are given the tag ToDo, then searching for ToDo will show you those books. Once you have finished hacking the book, remove the tag. Starting with release 0.7.17, you can have calibre automatically put tags on books when they are added, simplifying the process (preferences -> general).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeMan View Post
I would like to do batch conversions on a screen that does not display all of my books. I have hundreds of books and am adding more all the time. Displaying all of the books I have would quickly become too confusing. Is there a way to remove books that are listed on the screen without removing them from the computer? I guess what I need is more flexibility when displaying only the books I want to work with, and removing selected books when I'm through. Is this possible with Calibre or not?
what chaley said.

Then Save that search and use it as a Filter (the left of the search)
Example:
I have a custom (date) column "Last_Edited" (#edited)

I want to see what still needs work
I apply the saved search filter, "NotEdited"
Code:
   #edited:false
Presto, a slightly smaller list
(OK, so my example topic could be better chosen )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
SludgeMan
SludgeMan began at the beginning.

Device: Palm III E
Thanks for the help, but I think I need to buy a dedicated batch conversion program first, the come back to Calibre to set up the books properly. Once I have them in a format I can read on my Palm Pilot, I'll use Calibre to sort everything out. Thanks again for the help.
SludgeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeMan View Post
Thanks for the help, but I think I need to buy a dedicated batch conversion program first, the come back to Calibre to set up the books properly.
Could you post back here if/when you find such a program? There are a *lot* of people who use calibre to batch convert books (both GUI and command line), and they will be interested to hear about tools that improve on calibre somehow.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert