Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Innobrain
Innobrain began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800S
E-reader manufacturer iRex makes new start

Great news today in The Dutch daily newspaper:

De Nederlandse e-readerfabrikant iRex Technologies maakt een doorstart. Onder leiding van oprichter Hans Brons wil het bedrijf vanaf 1 september verder onder de naam IRX Innovations.

De nieuwe onderneming zal zich niet meer richten op de consumentenmarkt. De zakelijke markt en verkoop van licenties van de eigen technologie moeten voortaan geld in het laatje brengen, zo zei Brons woensdag.

Het Eindhovense bedrijf iRex, een spin-off van Philips, ging eind juni failliet nadat een avontuur op de Amerikaanse markt was mislukt. De onderneming hoopte in navolging van Amazon en Sony de Amerikaanse lezer voor zich te winnen, maar kwam te laat en met te dure digitale leesplankjes. Negen jaar ondernemen met e-readers leverde een schuldenlast van meer dan €10 mln op.

'Financiering gezond'

Brons zegt dat IRX Innovations nu op ‘een gezonde manier’ is gefinancierd, zonder details te geven. Bestaande producten zullen op de zakelijke markt worden ingezet. Alle 24 werknemers van iRex in Eindhoven gaan mee naar het nieuwe bedrijf.

In Google English:

The Dutch e-reader manufacturer iRex Technologies makes a new start. Led by founder Hans Brons, the company wants from September 1 under the name IRX Innovations.

The new company will no longer focus on the consumer market. The business market and sell licenses of proprietary technology must now bring in money, said Wednesday Bronze.

The Eindhoven iRex company as a spin-off of Philips, went bankrupt in June after a final adventure in the American market had failed. The company hoped the lines of Amazon and Sony reader for the U.S. to win, but came too late and too expensive digital reading boards. Nine years with corporate e-readers made an indebtedness of more than € 10 mln.

"Financing health '

Bronze says IRX Innovations now "a healthy way" has been financed without details. Existing products will be deployed at the business market. All 24 employees in Eindhoven iRex go along to the new company.

Last edited by Innobrain; 08-04-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Innobrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Good news for the employees - but I wonder what it means for customers of IREX in terms of warranties?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Good news!

Congratulations IRX!
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
http://www.computable.nl/artikel/ict...novations.html

Interesting extra detail: IRX Innovations now has an agreement with an Asian company, probably for the sale of certain parts of the business. Stassen confirms the deal, but gives no details. He said however that IRX Innovations is going to focus on the production of business e-readers.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Yup, I'm pretty much interested about warranties. I've tried to register at old irex technologies site for a support account, but I got "Your account has been disabled. You are not permitted to log in.".
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Warranties and finishing the 2.0 firmware would be my main interests.

It sounds like the company is trying to focus back on what their business plan was several years ago, before they got caught up in the consumer market. Similar to back when most of the first gen devices (Sony, Kindle, etc) were using hardware licensed from iRex... back before they were selling iLiads to end users. That's probably a good position for them to get themselves in to. It plays better towards the core capabilities of the company, and gets them away from marketing/support/etc that they had ongoing problems with.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Concentrating on the business end sure makes sense considering that the DR1000S and Plastic Logic VaporX have been such runaway successes --- oh wait!

Last edited by HansTWN; 08-05-2010 at 06:10 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:02 AM   #8
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
But what does "focussing on the business market" mean for us poor retailer customers? Will we no longer be allowed to buy their products? (And how is this going to be a miracle fix considering the fact that the firmware [and the fw update process] will still be the same?)
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Quote:
But what does "focussing on the business market" mean for us poor retailer customers? Will we no longer be allowed to buy their products?
Ну они до DR800 вроде именно по такой модели и работали - и ничего, перепадали как-то iliad-ы простым пользователям
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
Aegis
Aegis began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Concentrating on the business end sure makes sense considering that the DR1000S and Plastic Logic VaporX have been such runaway successes --- oh wait!
Is it that hard to be a little happy about your renewed waranty and support? The DR800S(G) will still be supported. I, on the other hand, am just lucky to have a DR1000 (which they won't support anymore) and can only hope the firmwares will still be compatible without too much hacking.

I'm glad they get a new start! Can't wait to see the new ideas and devices that will come from this.
Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Quote:
Is it that hard to be a little happy about your renewed waranty and support?
Did they said anything about renewed warranty?
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I, on the other hand, am just lucky to have a DR1000 (which they won't support anymore)
Why would you say that? Isn't DR1000 their e-reader for business market?
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Is it that hard to be a little happy about your renewed waranty and support?
I don't think they mentioned anything about renewing waranty. I doubt they will renew waranty. If they do so, that will be purely a gesture of courtesy to bind existing customers.

Quote:
The DR800S(G) will still be supported. I, on the other hand, am just lucky to have a DR1000 (which they won't support anymore) and can only hope the firmwares will still be compatible without too much hacking.
I did not read any communication that was specific about what products would be supported in the future. If I have to make a guess, I would say it is the DR1000 they will be supporting, as the DR1000 was geared towards business use, whereas the DR800 was their attempt to enter the consumer market.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
Aegis
Aegis began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Quote:
De productlijn van de DR800 zal worden overgenomen door het nieuwe IRX Innovations en worden voortgezet. Dit betekent dat ze voor dit apparaat ook nog service zullen en kunnen verlenen.

De productlijnen van de andere producten zullen niet overgenomen worden en hardware-technische ondersteuning zal dan niet meer geboden worden. Mochten de problemen softwarematig van aard zijn, dan kan er wellicht nog wel geholpen worden.
It states that the DR800 will be continued and that the device will still be serviced. The DR800 is the ONLY product the will continue.
So in short: people with DR1000S's (like myself) are screwed and can only hope IRX will still make the firmware-updates compatible.

I hope this answers the previous questions and remarks. It's wise to follow the Irex-thread in the news-section for more updates.
Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
It states that the DR800 will be continued and that the device will still be serviced. The DR800 is the ONLY product the will continue.
So in short: people with DR1000S's (like myself) are screwed and can only hope IRX will still make the firmware-updates compatible.

I hope this answers the previous questions and remarks. It's wise to follow the Irex-thread in the news-section for more updates.
Where did you find this information? I can't google it.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote