Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Jetbook vs Libre vs Sony Battery Life -- help?

Hi folks, I'm obviously a newbie testing these waters. Read all the reviews, watched the youtube vids, had a Libre in my hands and the Sony PRS300 and 600.

But NOTHING really addresses the issue of hands-on experience with battery life. And whats the diff with Page Turns vs Hours ? (A device could be on for hours and have an unrelated number of turns, right?)

Some pages say 24 Hours for Jetbook / Libre, some say it equals the 7500-8000 Page Turns of Sony. But I read I think in here someone said ONLY 600 Page Turns on their Jetbook !!?

So--- Could folks chime in with Personal Experience for *BATTERY LIFE*

and if you know,,, how it compares between these models:

*JETBOOK
*ALURATEK LIBRE
*JETBOOK LITE
*SONY PRS-300 (not really interested, but curious now...)

I can only afford to purchase one, once.
Supply here is Aluratek from Costco ($169), or the Sony ($199), but I don't mind going ebay for a Jetbook ($150) or Lite ($130)

ANYWAY... PLEASE HELP.... been at this for DAYS !

Kindest Regards,

James

(one more post to come...)
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:30 AM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Hi James,
I have both units - jetBook and jetBook-lite. I can recommend jetBook-Lite because it works with AA - replaceable batteries. I charge AA batteries one time per week and read 3-4 hours per day. You can find many positive reviews about this model on NewEgg.com.
They sell it for $129.99 and don't charge sales tax if you are not in CA,TN or NJ.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
And whats the diff with Page Turns vs Hours ? (A device could be on for hours and have an unrelated number of turns, right?)
Correct. E-ink devices like the Sony only use power to re-draw the page while the jetBook needs power all the time to light the TFT screen thus its really hard to compare the two.

Using your numbers... assuming you take 2 minutes to read a page and you have 24 hours of battery that would put you at around 720 'page turns' per charge. My personal experience is I eventually need to sleep even on days of marathon reading so plugging in my jetBook isn't an issue (and it is worth it to me for the trade off in faster response time, lack of refresh 'flash', and lower price.) You can also continue to read the jetBook original while you have it plugged in to either the wall socket or a computer USB.

Don't forget that DRM support for the jetBook Lite is limited at this point and non-existent in the original JB if you plan to buy lots of new releases.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
Correct. E-ink devices like the Sony only use power to re-draw the page while the jetBook needs power all the time to light the TFT screen thus its really hard to compare the two.
You can also continue to read the jetBook original while you have it plugged in to either the wall socket or a computer USB.
The Jetbooks and Libre don't have a "lighted" or backlit screen -- it is a reflective TFT screen. My Libre does not allow me to read while it is charging. Maybe the Jetbook is different?
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I don't have it handy at the moment to test it, but I noticed that when I plug in the Libre to the AC outlet when it's turned off, the screen that pops up is the battery charge one. But one time I plugged it by accident with it still on, and the screen stayed on the book page, so perhaps you can.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
I just got a libre, charged it. I read about 45 minutes daily and the device stays on its sleep phase (the one that opens up right away when you push the power button, so its not really off) and after 12 days only the last bar (out of three) is still lit. Battery will not be dead for a while but I just decide to charge it then (3 hours) since I heard that you can get some funky things happen if you let the battery die completely out). Hope this helps.
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
WOW, that's really short battery
Which is the same as another I read.

More like 5-6 hours, not 20-24

8(
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
Now please the other more knowledgeable members of the forum correct me if I am wrong. But as artifact explained, the libre/jetbook will draw down power even if you are not reading it just because it is not really off, but in sleep mode. So the correct count would be perhaps 9 hours active reading and the other 11 1/2 days in sleep mode (and I am sure it would have gone several more days on the remaining charge). Now if you read straight, you may get 20 hours or so, I don't know.

It's not a bother at all for me since I don't live in a cave or anywhere that there won't be power available for a 3 hr recharge and even if I did go on safari there are also ipod external power sources that hold enough power to charge the libre three times over. I don't think I have vacation leave that will last that long!
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
mitchwah
Connoisseur
mitchwah is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook Lite, Ematic 7" eReader
Yeah, I don't see why battery life is an issue, unless one lives in a cave and the nearest power outlet is a hundred miles away. But if power is a big deal, I guess the best device is the Jetbook Lite. Charge a couple extra battery sets for backup and you will have uninterrupted read for weeks.

I only have 2 batteries sets for my Jetbook Lite. Once one battery set is drained, I just pop them out, put in the other set, charge the dead batts and continue reading. And the cycle continues...
mitchwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwah View Post
Yeah, I don't see why battery life is an issue, unless one lives in a cave and the nearest power outlet is a hundred miles away. But if power is a big deal, I guess the best device is the Jetbook Lite. Charge a couple extra battery sets for backup and you will have uninterrupted read for weeks.

I only have 2 batteries sets for my Jetbook Lite. Once one battery set is drained, I just pop them out, put in the other set, charge the dead batts and continue reading. And the cycle continues...
Yes, I do the same. jetBook-Lite works with one battery set for 22-24 hours.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodPeople View Post
The Jetbooks and Libre don't have a "lighted" or backlit screen -- it is a reflective TFT screen.
LCD still requires energy to hold the crystals in the proper configuration for words.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
MLXXXp
Enthusiast
MLXXXp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodPeople View Post
My Libre does not allow me to read while it is charging.
My Libre, with software version 0.15k patch v15, does allow full operation, including reading, while it is charging. When first plugged in, the charging screen comes up but pressing the power button switches it to normal operation.
MLXXXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
On my wifes Jetbook she reads with it all the time as she's charging. If I try to do that with mine, funky things happen. Have seen it get "stuck" had to reset, reboot, etc.

So I just read with it till its down to one bar, then charge it. The only problem I have is if I have a really good book or series of books, I can go through a charge in 2 days and still be a few hours short of bedtime when I hook it up to the charger.

Worst case scenario I have to go do something else for a couple hours while my book is charging.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #14
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXXp View Post
My Libre, with software version 0.15k patch v15, does allow full operation, including reading, while it is charging. When first plugged in, the charging screen comes up but pressing the power button switches it to normal operation.
I didn't know that -- thanks!
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote