Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #4111
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
More oddities: I am reading a book that was cleaned up in Word and formatted in Book Designer. The font is the same throughout the book. Yet I have to reset the font size as I get to each new chapter.

Here is what happens: The font and size are exactly where I want them. I get to the next chapter in the book and the font is huge. I need to go to the size dialogue, set the largest size (not on the original Sony choices, but on the PRS+ line that has an "x" and 4 choices), then go back to the default "x". At that point I am back where I want to be --- except that all other chapters now show up with a huge font size. Repeat as I reach each new chapter.

In the end, I can read at the size I like. But this is very strange behavior!
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:34 AM   #4112
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Is it possibly a public domain book that anyone else could check out on their reader to see if they get the same odd behavior? That does sound odd like you said.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #4113
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

No, and this happened with multiple books. But the issue disappeared after I went into the PRS+ settings menu just to poke around for other reasons. I didn't change any settings, but when I went back to the current book, the odd behavior was gone. The next book I read was OK, too.

I still have to go back and forth between font sizes when I choose a new font before the right size sticks, but then it's set for the duration. Not a big deal.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #4114
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
I have just purchased a T3 (which I can still return). I wanted it to work like my original Sony did where I could see lists of authors and series. I realize that I had installed PRS+ which it appears is not available for the T2 or T3. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get the indexing or hierarchical function on the T2/T3 without PRS+?
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #4115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
I have just purchased a T3 (which I can still return). I wanted it to work like my original Sony did where I could see lists of authors and series. I realize that I had installed PRS+ which it appears is not available for the T2 or T3. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get the indexing or hierarchical function on the T2/T3 without PRS+?
Not on the T3 as it's not been rooted. If the stock app(s) don't do it, it cannot be done. What you have to do is find a Reader that supports folders.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #4116
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
Has anyone actually tried to use the calculator? It often does not display the leftmost digit of the result!

If you try 29 / 7, you get .1428... instead of 4.1428...

290 / 7 gets 1.4285 instead of 41.4285...

Etc. Same in regular PRS+ and Zork.

Maybe it has something to do with the length of the result? The correct number is retained in the memory. It's just not displayed. So you cannot trust any calculator result you are looking at, since you don't know when this is happening.
You are absolutely right, and this should be fixed in the repository by todays update.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #4117
Theon
Theon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony Reader PRS-350
I guess I might be much too late for the party, but I'd appreciate any help.

I just bought a 350 because it was ridiculously cheap at a sale here in Japan. I already have a Kindle 3, but that doesn't support Asian dictionaries (because the word look-up is based on spaces beteween words - something many asian languages simply don't have).
Sadly though, the Japanese 350 only has ENG-JAP and ENG-ENG, whilst I'm looking for JAP-ENG.
Having found there is custom firmware available which adds the option of adding custom dictionary archives I got my hopes up, but I failed at installing PRS+.

First, the installer told me that I needed to update my device to the lates official firmware, because the old one I had was unsupported, but having done that, I got the same message.
I'm guessing that is because the LATEST firmware (3.0.03.03190) isn't supported either.
Is there any chance of a new update happening?

Sorry for causing a bother, and thanks in advance for your help.
Theon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #4118
Phil_C
Addict

Maybe the Japanese version is different? The latest FW on the Sony US site is 1.0.00.14080.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #4119
Theon
Theon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony Reader PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
Maybe the Japanese version is different? The latest FW on the Sony US site is 1.0.00.14080.
Oh. Well that's just terrible
Theon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #4120
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
"UNDEFINED"
i was trying the games menus & top banner went to UNDEFINED with a blank screen.
eventually a pin in the reset slot + power off cured it- I was beginning to think it was unclearable. pin reset alone seemed to have no effect. latest PRS+ version AFAIK, PRS 650
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #4121
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
"UNDEFINED"
i was trying the games menus & top banner went to UNDEFINED with a blank screen.
eventually a pin in the reset slot + power off cured it- I was beginning to think it was unclearable. pin reset alone seemed to have no effect. latest PRS+ version AFAIK, PRS 650
That is a known issue. Basically, it happens if you use too many of the PRS+ apps (Games, Calendar, IntFic, Calculator). I know that on my 650, I can use Chess and CrossWord and things should be OK. But if I need to use another app, I need to shutdown and restart first.
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #4122
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
is this project still in active development or has everyone moved on to newer readers?
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:06 AM   #4123
NSqirrel
Enthusiast
NSqirrel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
is this project still in active development or has everyone moved on to newer readers?
Very quiet here. I still use my '600 daily.
NSqirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #4124
raiderkilo
Connoisseur
raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: PRS-350 "PRS+"
Still use 350 daily
raiderkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #4125
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
People with the x50 readers still use them, and PRS+ still works like a charm on them. Further development on it? Not sure there's anything left they can add to it that they haven't already given us. PRS+ is easy to install, foolproof actually, and completely stable.

What else could you ask for?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote