Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
eBookwise on sale!!!

http://www.ebookwise.com/ebookwise/ebookwise1150.htm

$89.95 for the 64MB internal flash version.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:42 AM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
yeah!

I saw that! its great news. A very reasonble price for it! I wish they would come out with a EB1150 that supports ADE, but I guess that is going to be the Nook? and not a updated EB1150.

Anyway if anyone is thinking of buying one now is the perfect time!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I am strongly thinking about ordering a spare one just in case one of mine gets damaged. THough I'm so cheap I'll just wait until I find one on kijiji for $40 or something.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Can you still use a smartmedia card in this model (with the 64MB internal memory)? Or are you limited to 64MB and using the USB connection and library software to transfer?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
Can you still use a smartmedia card in this model (with the 64MB internal memory)? Or are you limited to 64MB and using the USB connection and library software to transfer?
I would think that it's either internal OR external memory at any one time; not both. The external one, when inserted, renders the internal memory "inaccessible" i.e. not seen. I don't have one of the 64MB internal memory only units, but with the previous 8MB internal memory models, that's how it worked.

So if you have different SM cards loaded with similar themed ebooks, then you can swap between internal ebooks and external memory card ebooks.

The only thing I would caution is excessive wear and tear on the fragile SM cards could result in damage "down the line". I rarely remove the SM card in my EBW1150 and prefer to use impserve or eBookwise/GEB Librarian for all my transfers.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
werdegast
werdegast began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Happy Day

This is great!! I was wanting to pick up this device for bedtime reading.

In an odd way I feel like I may be cheating on my 505!

Last edited by werdegast; 11-07-2009 at 03:32 PM.
werdegast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Old LCD, basically no relevant format support at all, extremely small storage and obsolete expansion cards, bulky. I guess I'm missing the point here because I wouldn't even take it if I received 90 bucks for it! For double the price you get a modern eInk reader, so why bother with that old POS?
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I've got one already, just curious about the new ones. I don't think mine has that much internal memory.

I use the memory card to transfer all the time - mine has lasted me many years doing it that way - so far!
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
Old LCD, basically no relevant format support at all, extremely small storage and obsolete expansion cards, bulky. I guess I'm missing the point here because I wouldn't even take it if I received 90 bucks for it! For double the price you get a modern eInk reader, so why bother with that old POS?
YOU make a good point. I have both. The eBookwise is better for some things.
The ergonomics is better.
the screen is backlit.
It comes with a free publisher program that can import and convert lots of formats for use on the device.
Files, once converted work consistently well.
the format is still supported by many web sites.
It is cheap if you just want to explore the idea of eBooks.

the negatives.
It is a bit heavy
As you say, it has small storage and obsolete expansion cards.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
very stable

The EB1150 is a very stable machine. I have a Cool-er and it has problems with crashing, as does the Opus.

Yes the EB1150 is old technology, but it works very well. I orginally purchased mine because it was inexpensive, I was not sure if I would like an ebook reader, and frankly at the time I did not have the $300ish it would have cost for a different one.

I think that most of us that researched ereaders and purchased an EB1150 have been EXTREMELY happy with the machine.

I feel that its battery life is comparable to my e-inks.

It is heavy comprable to a hardback.

Its a very nice little device. When my Cool-er has issues I love that I can pull out my EB1150 and know that I have it as a backup.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
I read over a thousand words a minute and the eink screen flash would drive me nuts in a rather short time.

I read in low light situations and having to add a front light (and dealing with the resulting glare) would drive me nuts in a rather shot time.

I can fit over 150 books on a 128Mb card. I don't think of that as extremely small storage.

I'm cheap so I read public domain for the most part. That means there are only 60 or 100 THOUSAND titles available in RB format or IMP format or HTML format or DOC format or OPF format or TXT format. Doesn't seem all that limited to me.

I consider the form factor to be just about perfect. I can read one handed or prop it up against my lunch box where it will stay still as I poke the next page button. Sometimes the bulge works against me but not enough to make me give it up.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I've had a modern eink device and with all the hassles I went through with it... My big thing is the back light, I read in bed at night in the dark. I also read in my easy chair and the lamp I have there doesn't seem to hit the eink screens at the right angle.

I love my ebookwise machines!
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
Yoshi 1080
Addict

This thing has the same resolution as the iPod Touch. Wouldn't that be a better reader?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #14
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Well, physically an iPod screen is 3.5 inches, versus 5.5 for an eBookwise, so screen real estate is greater, even if resolution is the same. And even refurb, a Touch will run about $150, versus $85. Plus, the ergonomics are better, as is battery life. So, if the device is to be used purely as ereader (and one's prepared to deal with format conversion), an EB-1150 wins. If you want to do stuff other than read, a Touch is more versatile, and for those to whom it matters, more portable.

Last edited by Jadon; 11-08-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
Yoshi 1080
Addict

I looked at some pictures of it and it doesn't seem to have any anti-aliasing. Is that really true? The iPod Touch renders fonts beautifully.

Last edited by Yoshi 1080; 11-09-2009 at 04:15 PM.