Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Christian Science Monitor labels Kindle a ‘Trojan horse’

An interesting take from Teleread and CS Monitor:

"Monitor writer Emily Walshe is concerned by the Kindle’s DRM and the closed nature of the Kindle store. She fears that, “In our rush to adopt new technologies, we have too readily surrendered ownership in favor of its twisted sister, access.”

Walshe warns that the restrictions Amazon places on use of the Kindle and Kindle purchases mean you are not really buying “a book” when you buy a Kindle e-book; you are buying access to a book. She fears what this might mean for the future of the idea of property and of our culture, and compares Amazon’s usurpation of e-property rights to Facebook’s recent attempt to claim ownership of users’ personal information."
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #2
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

While I agree 10000%, something that needs to be given a bit of thought and can take a bit to wrap your head around is that there never has been true property ownership in the US. Even "owning" a home and land is an illusion. Try not paying the tithe to the PTB which we call taxes and you will find out just how much property you actually own.

Basically I am saying that taxes are simply a mandatory licensing fee via forced compliance. Heck, if a genentech company discovers a new gene in your body they can patent it and you have zero rights to any monies derived from that discovery. That is how little property people actually own.

It is not possible to live without a fee being paid. To me that is the irony of it all.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 03:50 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
As much as I do not like DRM, I will concede the fact that an eBook can be distributed illegally much much easier than a pBook. You can only lend a pbook to one person, you can email a non DRM book to ALL your friend and they can do the same...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Luckily DRM (at least the mobi pocket ones) can be removed On that point, DRM are totally useless on preventing illegal diffusion. They just mess up with customers who don't know how to take them off.

I did't pass my E-book to anyone, it's just mean to spare me the bother of having to deal with pid's. Else, every time you get to reinstall windows, get a new reader or whatever, you need to update the pid list on every website you buy E-books from, redownload your entire collection of e-book.

When I buy an E-book, I don't want to be considered as thief. I'm a customer, and expect to be treated as such, not as a hacker.
If you try to make using the legal stuff a pain, don't be surprised you customers turn to the illegal, easier way.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-19-2009 at 06:55 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
If you try to make using the legal stuff a pain, don't be surprised you customers turn to the illegal, easier way.
The music biz already went through this cycle, now it's the publishing world's turn, I guess.

I can see using some form of DRM to protect copyrighted works, although what I really wish is that the public would have enough respect for authors, the creative process, and the overall benefits of supporting people who do creative work that it wouldn't be necessary.

But I can't for the life of me understand why Amazon is using DRM on public domain works. Amazon should make those available without DRM and make them attractive to buy on Amazon by adding value--nice covers, formatting, and fonts, for example. Much the way paper publishers to this day are putting out nice editions of public domain works.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleDude View Post
The music biz already went through this cycle, now it's the publishing world's turn, I guess.

I can see using some form of DRM to protect copyrighted works, although what I really wish is that the public would have enough respect for authors, the creative process, and the overall benefits of supporting people who do creative work that it wouldn't be necessary.

But I can't for the life of me understand why Amazon is using DRM on public domain works. Amazon should make those available without DRM and make them attractive to buy on Amazon by adding value--nice covers, formatting, and fonts, for example. Much the way paper publishers to this day are putting out nice editions of public domain works.
Yeah, music is getting the right way. I was the the fnac had very seriously developed the no drm offer. and to top it, my linux computer passes the compatibility test Fine with me, i'll try this.

Edit : yeah, that works fine. The time where i had to pass over music because it's too expensive is over . Music come to me yeah

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-19-2009 at 10:08 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
The pd stuff is DRM free.It was added back in late January.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Walshe
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture," Ray Bradbury once said. "Just get people to stop reading them."

Access equals control. In this case, it is control over what is read and what is not; what is referenced and what is overlooked; what is retained and what is deleted; what is and what seems to be.

To kindle, we must remember, is to set fire to. The combustible power of this device (and others like it) lies in their quiet but constant claim to intangible, algorithmic capital. What the Kindle should be igniting is serious debate on the fundamental, inalienable right to property in a digital age – and clarifying what's yours, mine, and ours.
Whew, heady stuff. As a new Kindle owner it gives me pause to consider both my rush to purchase the reader and it's implications to my favorite pastime.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I've been aware that I am long term leasing each book I "buy" from Amazon. Since I'm not a big re-reader, I don't have a problem with this. Those books I feel I will re-read (my Stephen King collection), I make sure I obtain in multiple formats (ebooks, paper, audio...).

Those who prefer to "own" every ebook they read, should probably not buy a Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Those who prefer to "own" every ebook they read, should probably not buy a Kindle.
Or any ebook's at all. Read the license at fictionwise and other stores. You are really just buying a license to the book in it's current format. You can't sell it at all. Granted, this have been proven to be unenforceable with Software by the courts. And ebooks are very similar to software.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
KindleDude
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The pd stuff is DRM free.It was added back in late January.
I know the Amazon-added public domain material is monetarily free, but I have understood that it is still DRM. Stephen Windwalker, who writes a lot about the Kindle, and others have so claimed. This article is essentially asking Amazon to remove the DRM from the public domain titles, implying that they are now DRMed. I can't put my fingers on it, but I've read this elsewhere also.

http://www.teleread.org/2009/02/27/k...e-to-drm-free/

Maybe I've got it wrong and there have been further developments?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I know the Amazon-added public domain material is monetarily free, but I have understood that it is still DRM.
No its not.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
KindleDude
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No its not.

BOb
My bad! Thanks for the clarification. Retract righteous indignation.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I've been aware that I am long term leasing each book I "buy" from Amazon. Since I'm not a big re-reader, I don't have a problem with this. Those books I feel I will re-read (my Stephen King collection), I make sure I obtain in multiple formats (ebooks, paper, audio...).

If I am correctly reading Ms. Walshe's comments her article is more about the control of books and the implications of DMR and proprietary access. It singles out Kindle due to it's recent high visibility but applies to any ereader that has proprietary access and DMR content IMO.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote