Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you mind ads in ebooks if they reduced the cost of the device and/or content?
Yes 102 45.54%
No 122 54.46%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Would you buy ebooks subsidized with ads?

I was just thinking about the fact that newspapers can print something like a Sunday LA/NY Times and sell it for under a couple bucks and do just fine. Of course the reason is ads. Soooooo, what if a book you buy has ads embedded into the book in order to get the prices down to the $4-$5 range? Or whatever range that makes sense...perhaps even something like the Kindle could be reduced in price if the device (given it's MBB connection) could actually download current ads which showed on a couple times when reading a book.

I know this might be a PITA for many people...BUT, if it saves me a few hundred bucks/yr and I am not sure I would say it's a bad thing. Implementation is something to consider but I would imagine companies that used an annoying type of ad insertion would lose readers pretty quickly...

Anyway, it is just an idea...btw, I imagine we are going to see this no matter what sometime down the road. Maybe that is even how the current good-ol-boy publishers are positioning the content as we speak...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'd mind. It already bothers me when something happens in a novel that pulls me out of a story (like sloppy editing or continuity errors). I can't imagine how annoyed I'd be at seeing adds show up.

A reduced price just wouldn't be worth it to me. The only way I could see myself tolerating embedded ads is if the book is free, and even then it would be iffy.
deety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 03:24 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'd hope there was an option to buy an unsubsidised ad-free version.

But this could be an interesting idea for ebook publishers; because the ads in a book could be tailored to the individual purchaser, in a way that would be impossible for pbooks (c.f. MobileRead ads).
If this made it an appealing proposition for advertisers, it could provide a boost for ebook publishing.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:44 AM   #4
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
No I do not want ads in any book that I wish to read. No discount would make this worthwhile to me.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Definitely not. Not for any discount.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 04:00 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
IF it's a DRM-free ePUB, I guess the ads can be easily removed, so I might buy it
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
IF it's a DRM-free ePUB, I guess the ads can be easily removed, so I might buy it
Is your time worth so little to so that you'd spend it on so pointless an activity?

If a book cost $3 with ads, and $5 without, I'd rather pay the $5 than pay the lesser amount and spend even 5 minutes removing them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:06 AM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
If it was DRM free and they weren't TOO obnoxious I'd be okay with it. I wouldn't like it, and I'd have to address it on a case by case basis but I might tolerate it.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:33 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is your time worth so little to so that you'd spend it on so pointless an activity?
You'd be surprised at the amount of pointless activities I spend my time on

But it depends on the book and on the discount. If it's $3 with adds and $15 without, and if it's a series of 10 books. I'd probably prefer spending $30 and 50 minutes to remove the adds, than $150. I'd be likely to spend some time editing and modifying the original files anyway, to correct any misspellings or formatting I don't like
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Nope nope nope. I'll pay extra. I'm only talking about books here though, which is all I read on my Reader.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'd rather have honest, open, easily ignorable, ads than the odious product placement alternative of Fay Weldons' 'Bulgari Connection'.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'd rather have honest, open, easily ignorable, ads than the odious product placement alternative of Fay Weldons' 'Bulgari Connection'.
I have Bulgari perfume, it smells so good.

I hate their jewelry though. I think it's fugly.

Carry on..
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #13
akwant
closed
akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ---
oh no, please no ads in ebooks. I mean, do you want to see a Flash animation/movie before you can start reading something?

And then: why not break your reading after 15 Minutes for special offer of nappies or socks!

:shudders:
akwant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwant View Post
oh no, please no ads in ebooks. I mean, do you want to see a Flash animation/movie before you can start reading something?

And then: why not break your reading after 15 Minutes for special offer of nappies or socks!

:shudders:
A lot of DVDs start off with adverts/movie trailers and some (most notably Disney) do not allow you to use the menu button to go right to the menu. They make you sit through the nonsense.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
"And the murderer is..."

We'll return you to your story right after this advert for Sauls's Mortuary. Ever get that feeling you'll be dead someday? Do you really want to have to put your loved ones through all the hassle of having to arrange your fuleral because you were too lazy and/or cheap to do so ahead of time? Well at Saul's Martuary, we have a free lawaway plan where you can organize your funeral and pay on-time. If you die before you finish paying, your life insurance will cover the outstanding dept. That way, your loved ones can spend their time grieving instead of having to organize your funeral.

"...Jeeves the Butler did it!"
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote