Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
bobowvu
bobowvu began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad
Directory Tree Question (folders and subfolders)

Im posting this in the Cybook section because i was very close to trading in my Iliad for a Cybook v3 until i did some reading. So it appears that a new update has come for the Cybook v3, however the directory system was not addressed (i.e. it lists ALL books in one large list, that is sortable and searchable, but makes browsing very difficult, much like the Kindle). Does this sound right?

I am very interested in the Cybook, however, i need to have a directory tree structure (either by tags or by folder/subfolders). This is the best thing about the Iliad, the way you can just surf thru the folders. Actually why they dont use an information tag like mp3s is beyond me. Not really, is suppose, there are still too many formats, but a guy can wish!

Anyways, from some of the threads, apparently adding this feature is on the list for Cybook (although it didnt make the recent cut). So the question is, how reliable is the supposition that this will be added, and does anybody have any informed guesses as to how quickly it will be implemented?

As an aside, does anyone know of any other ebook reader that does use a folder/subfolder system, besides the Iliad?

Anyways, any insight would be helpful.
bobowvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobowvu View Post
As an aside, does anyone know of any other ebook reader that does use a folder/subfolder system, besides the Iliad?
The Jetbook supports folders.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I have all my books on the Cybook sorted into files by author last name, first name. It helps, a little. At least the order of the books makes sense!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Seeing that they had 6 months to produce this update, and they just fixed some bugs, not adding much funtionality (Delete button still not mapped, no directories etc.), I guess it'll take them at least few years to implement everything they promise.

I don't know the specifics of the programming environment they're working on, but hving written programs and commercial games on Windows and Mac I'm surprised that the fruit of 6 months of programming is only this much. Then again, perhaps they has to rewrite their whole system from scratch to get rid of bug on some basic level, and they didn't go into detail in changelog.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:05 AM   #5
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Seeing that they had 6 months to produce this update, and they just fixed some bugs, not adding much funtionality (Delete button still not mapped, no directories etc.),
The problem probably is that the original Mobireader for the Windows Desktop also has no directory support. It is even worse there, if you put a book in a subdirectory of My eBooks, you will not see it at all. This is a feature that has been asked for years now.

So actually the Cybook has better directory support as the original, it wil find books in subdirectories and you can sort on them.

What it misses is a way to sort on author and genre
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I'd happily see an ability to add tags to books there, and search for books by tags, like in mp3 collections. Cybook has Linux on board, and it's not like everything it displays has to go through Mobipocket software - mp3 player, for instance, is standalone, and I think reading txt , html and pdf files is also made by Boo Reader made by Bookeen. So the whole Library view seems to be a separate program, replaceable by something I could write.

The only thing influenced by Mobipocket's inability to use folders should be that links from one Mobi book to the other won't work. But folders in Library should work by replacing the Library program, and folders in Boo Read should work by writing another reader for HTML and TXT (and possibly PalmDoc PDB files).

I really don't understand why Bookeen doesn't give us the ability to work on it - it would save them workhours they spend trying to please everyone, would give users freedom to use whatever readers they like more on Cybook, and readers would be made by fans, so no Bookeen responsibility. The only think they'd have to care about is eliminating the possibility of bricking the Cybook while developing the program, ie. giving the ability to always reset the Cybook to default state in which it would just work.

I don't see any necessity to mess with firmware in Cybook - all the programs that can be used on it could be placed where the books are, loaded from there, and executed. Unless the hardware designer made it impossible to execute programs from flash memory... but I can't imagine why it would want to do this.

In my opinion, the sooner someone can get Bookeen and their SDK supplier to release the GPLed code, the sooner we can start to write better software for it. Unfortunately, in one of the past topics there was information that FSF is currently flooded with GPL violation reports and probably wouldn't be able to take action against Bookeen.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Sony PRS-505 supports collections. It's not exactly folders, But as close as you'll get for now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's a sort of a work-around available on the Gen3 too, Jon, in that you can put different types on books in different folders on the Gen3, and then tell the library to sort by file path. That way you can get your books sorted by genre (or whatever else you choose to name your folder).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
There is a big difference between sort and filter.

I want Cybook support filter (TARG). Neither needs support folder just bear tags.

Bookeen should follow Google (Gmail)

"search, do not sort"

"filter, do not sort"
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
There is a big difference between sort and filter.

I want Cybook support filter (TARG). Neither needs support folder just bear tags.
Bear tags? Sorry, I'm not with you - what are "bear tags"?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
junior
Connoisseur

oooh, ops

"bear tags" = endorsement, support tags

tags, example: articles, chronicles, novels, theatre, poems, HQ, newspapers, magazines.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bear tags? Sorry, I'm not with you - what are "bear tags"?
I think he means "bare" tags.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The light dawns . Thanks!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's a sort of a work-around available on the Gen3 too, Jon, in that you can put different types on books in different folders on the Gen3, and then tell the library to sort by file path. That way you can get your books sorted by genre (or whatever else you choose to name your folder).
Yep. And if you use a dot as the first character of the folder, the Cybook will treat it as hidden and not show the contents in the library. From my PC, I periodically move books I've read to a .done subfolder on the SD card.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
junior
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Yep. And if you use a dot as the first character of the folder, the Cybook will treat it as hidden and not show the contents in the library. From my PC, I periodically move books I've read to a .done subfolder on the SD card.
Hi,

What if I move a book from one folder to another folder, I lost the bookmarks?

for example:

book in the folder "MachadoAssis" move to "aaaFavorito".

Last edited by junior; 05-09-2008 at 03:51 PM.