Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
eugentango
eugentango began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Pictures from PDF to EPub or LRF

Hi all!

I have some problems with converting PDF files. I know they are terrible to convert but it is not about formatting but about "mirroring" the pictures.
I have downloaded the book here: Introduction to neuropsychology
Then I tried to convert it to both "EPub"- and "LRF"-format. All pictures in the book were transformed - both mirrored and fliped. I have the last (20.03.2012) version of Calibre.

Does anybody know how to deal with it?

Thanks,
eugentango
eugentango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If they're all flipped the same way, just flip them all back? It's two clicks per image in an image editor, or you could use something that supports batch processing.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
eugentango

I did not understand what exactly I have to do in Calibre. Or you mean I have to edit the PDF file?
I tried to look for code in ePub file - there is a possibilite in calibre to open it in ePub-viewer and see the html-code. But I did not found any possibility to flip it back.
Could you describe the process more precise? For dummies...

Thanks,
eugentango
Old 03-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugentango View Post
I did not understand what exactly I have to do in Calibre. Or you mean I have to edit the PDF file?
I tried to look for code in ePub file - there is a possibilite in calibre to open it in ePub-viewer and see the html-code. But I did not found any possibility to flip it back.
Could you describe the process more precise? For dummies...

Thanks,
eugentango
It is NOT the HTML or CSS code in the ePub that is your problem so don't go looking for them or for ways to edit them.

It is, as frostschutz stated, an issue with the images themselves. There as some types of images at can exist in a PDF that calibre does not handle. Sometimes they get "lost" and sometimes that get misprocessed. The latter is what happened in this case.

You need to extract the images from the ePub and use an image editor to fix the problems (flip, rotate, invert, whatever...) and then copy the fixed images back into the ePub.

You can use calibre's Tweak Epub function to expand the ePub to get access to the images. You can also change the ePub's extension to ZIP, extract copies of the images, edit the images, and then copy the fixed images back into the ZIP before changiing the extension back to EPUB.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
eugentango

Thanks for the answer. I´ll try it!

eugentango
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
eugentango

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
It is NOT

You can use calibre's Tweak Epub function to expand the ePub to get access to the images. You can also change the ePub's extension to ZIP, extract copies of the images, edit the images, and then copy the fixed images back into the ZIP before changiing the extension back to EPUB.
Hi! It works perfectly!
eugentango
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
gigiwill
gigiwill began at the beginning.

Device: none
have you tried to use PDF to Epub converter? i solved similar promble with it . go to serch ...

Last edited by gigiwill; 06-12-2012 at 11:20 PM.
gigiwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, pdf, pictures