Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Unhappy Nov Patch doesn't fix Wake-from-Sleep bug

I just tried to wake up my Vox, and it didn't wake up. Had to press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to power it off, then power it back on.

Sadly, yesterday's patch doesn't seem to be effective (in my case) in its primary goal.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
How long was it asleep for? More or less than one minute?

If others are still seeing this issue, please post in this thread.

James

Last edited by KoboJW; 11-25-2011 at 01:42 PM.
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Just to be sure, did the OS update? There should be a new version number if so. Also, did you unroot before the upgrade? I haven't seen it come back yet (knock on wood), and I did unroot and left the device plugged in to do it. Also, I had just reset following the sleep of death.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
It was asleep for a couple of hours; I typically didn't have problems waking it up after just a minute or so. It was not rooted before or after I updated. The version indicates a Nov 17, 2011 patch date (i.e., when the patch was built).
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I started another thread - mine never had this problem (or virtually never). Now, however, I have to hard-reset (10-second power switch) every time I turn it on it seems. Off for more than a minute.

I am also getting the screen freezing when going to home screen - occasionally, not always. 10-sec power switch fixes that too.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
voxy
voxy began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
Mine also fails to wake from sleep. It was asleep for between 5 to 10 minutes. Had to press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to power it off, then power it back on.

I confirmed I have the Nov 17, 2011 update.
voxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo Aura HD,Apple Ipad Mini,Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4,LG G4
I had a few issues before update. I only got the device on the 23rd but did not have any real issues with device. I did notice it did not always wake from sleep. Now every time i wake from sleep it fails to start. I have to press power button for ten seconds to restart device. I tried master reset and this did not fix issue. I have previouslly rooted device and did not unroot before update. I then rerooted device after doing master reset. Then unrooted. This made the device a little more stable.

Now i had a un-rooted updated device. So i did a master reset and only downloaded the kepubs and loaded some drm free epubs from calibre. I still have an issue with wake from sleep. 9 out of 10 attempts to wake from sleep fail. I love the device but the update made things worse for me. I have no sd card in the side yet. So i dont think that is the issue. I did root the device and then update without un-rooting and that could be an issue.

I am going to look around and see if i can reapply firmware upgrade to see if that helps but i have read how to do that yet. I will look around these forums too see if its possible. I know and did do this with the touch edition.
ne0rmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if not unrooting before the update caused issues? It's actually WORKING for me now after the update, without having to reset the device all the time. Battery drain issues also seem to have improved. Unless you managed to do the full-fledged factory reset where it gives you all those prompts, I'm not sure if either of you actually updated correctly.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:44 AM   #9
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
At least once I got the wake from sleep last night after the 20111117 update. Battery was OK so it was not doing it all night I suspect.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
I dunno it updated for me fine. I had no problems until now. It took me three attempts at hardbooting to get it turned on this website morning.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
OK, this is going to be long. My Vox is a bit of a disaster this morning. It's fine as long as I don't put it into sleep mode.

--Powered up. Airplane mode. Reading a Kobo book. Bookmark was out of place, back one spot from where it should have been, but I found my place and carried on. Attempted to go back to the library. Library wouldn't open, then entire Vox froze. Screen went black. Vox unresponsive. Did 10s reset.

--Still in airplane mode. Had put into sleep mode with button. Attempted to wake. Woke up OK (on quote page). Unlocked, but other functions unresponsive. 10s reset done.

--Read a Kobo book. Put into sleep mode, airplane mode on, Kobo book still open. Later brought out of sleep mode. Vox unlocked (quote page showing, not the cover of the book I was reading. I have never seen the cover in this mode.) Kobo book I was reading showed on the page I was on, but Vox was unresponsive from there. Held down power button. Screen went black. Waited a bit, powered up with power button.

--Read Kobo book. Turned off Kobo app. Turned off airplane mode. Turned off wifi using widget. Put into sleep mode. Attempted to wake it up with power button about 10 minutes later. Unlocked OK. Tapped library icon at bottom of screen. Spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin...library wouldn't load. Tapped the home button. Library closed. Tapped the 'read now' icon at bottom of screen. Spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin. Kobo unresponsive to any other taps. Held down power button. Kobo shut off without displaying the shut down menu.

--Powered up. Since I had installed the Sony Reader app last night, I checked to see if it was running in the background, maybe it was the culprit. It was not running. I have not had it running at all today, actually. Kobo update is running. Opened Aldiko, works fine. Gallery works. Tapped home. Put in sleep mode, wifi off. Gave it about 15 minutes or so, attempted to wake it up. Vox unresponsive. Opened up the back, gave it that reset with the little button. Vox powered up. Everything seemed OK.

--Did a bit of reading from Kobo, closed Kobo. Put Vox into sleep mode.

--Attempted to wake from sleep mode. Lights came on behind the buttons at the bottom of the screen, but the screen remained black. Did the 10s reset.

--Turned off wifi, opened Kobo app and let library update. Checked for system update, none required it said.

--I went into manage apps and shut down Lookout to see if it was the problem. Put into sleep mode. Attempted to awaken it a few minutes later. Managed to unlock it and get to the app screen and then the Vox was unresponsive from there. Pushed power button, screen went black.

I've done a second reset with the inside back button. The Vox is sitting in front of me, afraid to go to sleep now.

I don't know what on earth happened here. Things were fine last night. I thought this update had fixed the wake from sleep problem. I was in and out of sleep mode a lot yesterday, actually, and I used the Vox a lot after I installed the Sony reader as well. Last night I also downloaded some free books from Kindle, I downloaded all the books I had purchased from Sony using the Sony app. I did some browsing as well. I have books in various apps and I'm reading several at once across the different app platforms. I was going from Overdrive to Aldiko to Kobo to Sony (mainly with Sony just to figure out how the app functions, I was playing with it), and then I browsed a bit on Dolphin. The Vox's battery went yellow so I plugged it into the charger and I was using it while it was charging. I noticed the Vox became very sluggish and I figured I was being too demanding, so I restarted it and things got snappier after that. I then shut it off and left it to charge overnight. I had decided to try to leave it in airplane mode most of the day. I have been less than impressed with the battery life and I wanted to see if leaving it in airplane mode would help conserve the battery.

As I said, I don't understand what just happened here, but this is really getting intolerable. I mean, if I can't even put it into sleep mode without having to do this big reset each and every time...

I was just reading this over in preview and decided to shut off the Vox, since it hasn't had a graceful shut down since last night, what with all the crashes and freezes today.

P.S. Vox isn't rooted. Never has been, never will be.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
Haesslich
Fanatic

Those experiences look like mine before updating and re-rooting. I've not had Kobo app issues or drain issues since the update, unlike before when I'd lose 30% in 4 hours sleep with wifi off... When it didn't lock up.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tale of woe continues:

So, we left off with my having done a proper shut down.

Powered back up. Left it on, changed the display setting to power off after 15 seconds. I let it do that a few times and woke it back up right away. Maybe it doesn't like being put to sleep with the button? I changed the power off display setting to 10 minutes and left it.

So after this seemed to be working, I read for a bit, turned on the wifi, browsed. Searched the Kobo store for a book,which they didn't have (lousy search feature on that site, BTW, and no way to filter the results from the Vox app). I ended up buying the book from the Kindle app. Read some of the book from the Kindle app. Decided to change to airplane mode, so I pressed the power button to bring up the menu, but too quickly. Darn, it went to sleep. Sleep of death? I quickly pressed the power button again and the Vox came back on. I was able to continue to read, the Vox wasn't frozen. I pressed the power button longer this time until the menu came up, then put it into airplane mode. I went for lunch, left the Vox to go into sleep mode on its own.

Attempted to wake up, unlocked and no further action was possible. Vox unresponsive. 10s reset.

Checked to see what applications were running. Gallery wallpaper...hmm, I had made that change, had one of my own pictures as the wallpaper. I changed it to one of Kobo's preinstalled wallpapers. Used the button to put it into sleep mode. Left it a few minutes, woke it up. Froze on 2nd tap into function (tap app button, tap an app, and no response). Pushed power button and held it. Black screen. 10s reset. Powered up, everything's fine.

Turned off airplane mode. Turned on wifi, put to sleep with button. Woke up right away, no freeze up. Put into sleep mode again, left a bit longer. Woke up, got into Aldiko, started a book. Vox froze a few pages into the book. Hit power button briefly, all went black, non responsive. Held button down to do the 10s thing and heard a distinct click this time. Vox came on.

I've left it sitting idle while I type this and I see it's gone to sleep, so let's see what she does now...Oh, wifi is off.

OK, it's basically a very pretty coaster at the moment. I held the power button down until it shut off. I continued the count to "10-one thousand".

What am I supposed to do with this thing now? Power it completely off every time I set it down on the table?

Oh, I've got it running again.

Should I uninstall the Sony Reader? I don't see why that would be causing this when the app hasn't even been running when any of this has been going on. I had tried a game yesterday as well after the update, but I ended up uninstalling that because I didn't like the way it was rendering on the screen. But I wasn't having these issues last night at all. It just showed up today, and the Vox hadn't even connected to the internet yet at that point when all the funzies started.

James, are you here?

Last edited by 49Kat; 11-26-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
49Kat
Fanatic

My usage of the Vox would tend to be intermittent, might pick it up for quick use here and there throughout the day, but with this going on, that isn't going to be possible. I guess for now it might be easier on the Vox if I just turn it right off between uses. And may as well leave it on charge, too.

I wish I knew what happened to make this so much worse overnight. I had really thought the patch fixed this.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Mine seems to be fine so far. I let it sleep for 4 hours this morning and it's fine - didn't even drain much battery, even with WiFi left on. I am going to let it sleep for small chunks of time this afternoon and see what happens...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote