Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #14881
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I just read another very 'affecting' creative non-fiction piece from "In Fact - The Best of Creative Nonfiction" - http://www.amazon.com/Fact-Best-Crea...ive+nonfiction

Shunned by Meredith Hall - a girl who made the mistake of ending up pregnant in 1965 and the effect on her entire life.

It is the lead in her book "Without a Map: A Memoir" and you can preview at Amazon if interested: http://www.amazon.com/Without-Map-Me...5744248&sr=1-1

admittedly I've only read the first three pieces from "In Fact" but two of those were - punch you in the gut good and the third was very close. I'll let you know how the rest hold up as I read them, but am switching between many different books, pieces, articles, genres constantly at the moment.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-17-2012 at 06:50 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #14882
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Currently reading: Prayers For Rain by Dennis Lehane
On deck: Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #14883
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #14884
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
(The worst offence, as far as I got, was a sentence of dialog starting "Thee will ..." )

Now I'm reading the third book of the Petaybee series by Ann McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, Power Play.
Well, I've read all three books, but I don't think I'll bother with the next triology in this series. No real sense of peril, and one completely inexplicable transformation (essentially fantasy in a SF setting) makes this a poor series for me.

Next up: What Entropy Means to Me by George Alec Effinger. Good grief! I bought this one back in August 2005.

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-18-2012 at 06:32 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #14885
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Next up: What Entropy Means to Me by George Alec Effinger. Good grief! I bought this one back in August 20005.
You read a lot of science fiction books. Is it the only genre you read?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #14886
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
You read a lot of science fiction books. Is it the only genre you read?
I read mystery novels too, some historical novels, and even the occasional romance. And fantasy, of course. I read classics (Austen, Dickens, Kipling, Dumas, ...) every so often, but not much this year.

I don't read much "general" fiction.

[Edit: And if you follow the links in my signature, you can see every book I've read over the past three years, and find out if I'm fooling myself when I say I read other stuff!]
Old 12-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #14887
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Next up: What Entropy Means to Me by George Alec Effinger. Good grief! I bought this one back in August 2005.
I have always liked his writing, especially his Marîd Audran Series. I always wonder what else he could have written if he had not died at such an early age.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #14888
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Finished Second Shift and now reading Catching Santa. I don't like it that much, and I am not sure if I am going to finish that one. I try to read 2-3 chapters more before I decide what to do...
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #14889
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Leave Santa alone, he has work to do to get ready!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #14890
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Just 3/4 through the Wool Omnibus... It's keeping my interest but not on the edge of my seat. Seems a bit transparent at times, but that's ok. I like the premise if not the reality.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #14891
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
[Edit: And if you follow the links in my signature, you can see every book I've read over the past three years, and find out if I'm fooling myself when I say I read other stuff!]
LOL, I believe you. It's just that you're posts in this thread made me think sci-fi is all you read
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #14892
Honest Fantasist
Honest Fantasist began at the beginning.

Device: kindle wi-fi
If someone tells me how to upload books, I have 30ish Assimov books 6 foundation ones.Any good?
Honest Fantasist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #14893
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Fantasist View Post
If someone tells me how to upload books, I have 30ish Assimov books 6 foundation ones.Any good?
You have picked an odd user name for someone who's apparently keen to break the law.

Moderator Notice

If you deliberately upload any unauthorised copyright material to MobileRead you'll be permanently banned.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #14894
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just finished "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen. Actually I've just finished proofing it for the MR library. I'd never read it before - wow, what a great book! A surprisingly modern story for something written 200+ years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #14895
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Haven't updated here in a while. I recently finished both The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien and I Suck at Girls by Justin Halpern. Both of them were excellent, my first 5 star reads this year so far at Goodreads, although if pressed I would probably say the Halpern book was my favorite because of how hilarious it was.

Now I am reading No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden by Mark Owen. About 18% in and it's a breezy read so far. I expect to finish it in the next day or so.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote