Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #24316
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Search for the Star Stones by Andre Norton
It was OK. I have a feeling I must have read it before, but it obviously wasn't very memorable. The ending was a bit naff, and after going on for so long about how long ago some things had been, having no acknowledgement that stars move relative to each other was odd.

Next up: Wishing on a Star by Jody Lynn Nye. This looks like a bit of fun modern fantasy. A freebie from Phoenix Pick.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:21 AM   #24317
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
I am currently working through the earlier books by
Phil Rickman, standalone novels that occasionally have
a returning character, but are in no way a 'series'.
I lost faith in him when he started writing the Merrily
Watkins series (up to 13 books now!) which I just could
not engage with. He also wrote a couple of other series
which I intend to tackle, but will still avoid the MW series
having read the first three on publication,and not taking
to them! Good basic chills, with folklore and legend woven
into the plots. My kind of escapism!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2016, 05:30 AM   #24318
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Wishing on a Star by Jody Lynn Nye. This looks like a bit of fun modern fantasy. A freebie from Phoenix Pick.
And that was fun. If, of course, you ignore all the corollaries to the abilities depicted!

Next up: Analog SF, September 2016. Excellent first story. A solid five stars if the rest get even close.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:36 PM   #24319
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished both Saint Odd by Dean Koontz, and A History of Pi by Petr Beckmann
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:21 AM   #24320
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Next up Diamonds in the Sky a collection of SF stories edited by Mike Brotherton.
Finished Diamonds in the Sky edited by Mike Brotherton. which was good. Worth reading.

Next up The Devils Elixir by Raymond Khoury.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #24321
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Analog SF, September 2016. Excellent first story. A solid five stars if the rest get even close.
And most of them were pretty good too. An excellent issue.

Next up: The Girl in the Spider's Web. A freebie from Amazon.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:46 PM   #24322
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Finished Spore 7 and Dick Van Dyke's autobiography
Am now reading Exposed by Alex Kava, Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg, You might be a redneck if this is the biggest book you ever read by Jeff Foxworthy and Clapton: The autobiography by Eric Clapton.
I tried a couple of books I found in the self promotion forum but gave up on them. They weren't bad just not to my taste.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #24323
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up: Something New by P.G. Wodehouse.
After a very slow start, which I attribute to just not being in the mood for this type of book more than anything, I really enjoyed this book. Good blend of humor and some wonderful characters in it. I haven't read much from Wodehouse but what I have read has been great. As advertised.

Next up: Interview with the Vampire by Ann Rice. Because I want something different and my library requests haven't come in yet. This also crosses off an unread year (1976) from my list.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #24324
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just started The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin, the 3rd in the Passage series. 600 pages, so it's going to be a while...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:13 PM   #24325
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up: Interview with the Vampire by Ann Rice. Because I want something different and my library requests haven't come in yet. This also crosses off an unread year (1976) from my list.
Hope you enjoy it. Much better than the film. even though that was good, and led me to years of vampire follow-ups.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:12 AM   #24326
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Hope you enjoy it. Much better than the film. even though that was good, and led me to years of vampire follow-ups.
I hope I enjoy it, it has been interesting so far. I might have seen the movie once not too long after it came out, but I don't remember anything about it if I did so I hope I can get the full experience here.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:10 AM   #24327
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Next up, White Elephant by Nora Barker, second in the Dr. Christmas Connery Cozy Mysteries. I have the full series from a previous Smashwords sale -- they are not enrolled in the current Smashwords sale.
White Elephant was fun. There were some very original twists and I liked the way some seemingly unrelated events were finally linked. It also has the advantage of being a reasonably short novel, so it's easy to squeeze into my schedule. On the other hand, the heroine of the story (and series) comes across as more than a bit naive. I guess I'd give this a solid 3 Stars.

Then I read Dead Jitterbug and Dead Boogie, the 6th and 7th books in Victoria Houston's Loon Lake Mysteries series. They were both very good -- I'd say that Boogie was a bit better than Jitterbug, but that might also reflect some personal taste. Boogie was a more "linear" story that hung together nicely; Jitterbug wove several plot lines in and out and finally together. Still, both were good entries in a reliably good series.

I also read some short stories from my somewhat lengthy TBR file.

Right now I've started reading the latest issues of Analog and Asimov's SF magazines. They're off to a good start.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #24328
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Best part of Interview with a Vampire the film is that Tom Cruise finally learned how to act.

... a little.

I read most of the books a good two decades ago, but I hesitate to read them now... I'm afraid I'd find them too... something. Perhaps I am being snobbish. Or I am burned out by a glut of 'urban fiction'.

Speaking of which sub-genre, I am almost halfway through After the Cure by Dierdre Gould, another variation on the zombie apocalypse theme, but so far very enjoyable and pretty zombie-free.

Next up, I have a few non-fic dead trees lying around, the aforementioned Dick Van Dyke memoir, as well as a bio on Jim Henson, and a bunch of fun stuff recommended by my friends here at the forums.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #24329
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "River God", by Wilbur Smith. I first read this many years ago when it was first published, but enjoyed it even more on a re-read, perhaps because I am now much better able to appreciate novels set in Ancient Egypt. The book is a somewhat "revisionist" retelling of Egyptian history during what's known as the "Second Intermediate Period" (approximate 1650BC), when Egypt was ruled by a series of weak and ineffectual kings, and control of the north of the country was lost to Asiatic invaders known as the "Hyksos".

The protagonist of the novel is a slave called Taita, who is a highly educated man and advisor to a powerful and corrupt official, Lord Intef, the vizier (rather like Prime Minister) of Upper Egypt. I won't say any more about the plot, because it would be a spoiler, but this is an excellent novel which I thoroughly recommend.

This was, I note, my 75th book of the year, so I'm well ahead of my usual goal of 100 books read during a year.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-23-2016 at 09:02 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #24330
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: The Girl in the Spider's Web. A freebie from Amazon.
Well, I'm glad I got it as a freebie. If I had spent more than £0.99 on it, I'd have been disappointed.

While I'm sure it's been a commercial success, I don't think it really works. I found there to be far too much telling rather than showing. And we have the viewpoints of the villains far too much.

I suspect that there'll be another one (it's certainly set up for there to be one). But I won't be bothering with it.

Next up: Hmm... perhaps another freebie. The Chronothon by Nathan Van Coops