Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-22-2008, 11:22 AM   #61
BillT
BillT began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Help. I have a new Kindle and am trying to use MobiPocket Creator to convert my pdf textbook chapters. I can convert each chapter ok, but I can't built a TOC that works. I have tried the suggestions offered in the forum but nothing works.
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #62
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillT View Post
Help. I have a new Kindle and am trying to use MobiPocket Creator to convert my pdf textbook chapters. I can convert each chapter ok, but I can't built a TOC that works. I have tried the suggestions offered in the forum but nothing works.
Are you using the Title and SubTitle styles? Also do you have the latest version of BookCreator?

I've attached some pictures below. What you need to do is look at the HTML text and see what syntax wrappers your intended chapter.

To get to the HTML code (See attached screen).

See the 2nd attached image to look for the correct syntax. I would do a search on the text found in your first chapter.

Then fill in the MobiCreator TOC fields. Note I've super imposed the MobiCreator TOC over notepad on the 2nd image.

=X=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC_MobiPocket_01.jpg
Views:	1159
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	17223   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC_MobiPocket_02.jpg
Views:	1230
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	17224  
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:52 AM   #63
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Creating external TOC for LRF/MOBi files

Creating external TOC for LRF/MOBI files

To add an internal TOC all a user has to do is select the “Insert TOC” button. Any text marked ‘Title’ ore ‘Sub Title’ will show up in the TOC.

This steps below covers how to get external TOC on LRF books.

Using Calibre with LIT
If the user is using WordRMR to create LIT eBooks these are the additional steps required to get the external TOC working on an LRF eBook

To get the external TOC to work in Calibre, only requires adding a switch to the conversion. NOTE: Calibe always inserts a page break a chapter. There is no way to disable this today. To avoid double page breaks run the “Find Chapter w/o Page Break”.

In the “Chapter Detection” category enter the following text in the “Detect Chapter at tag:” edit box

p,class, RWSDK-2CHAPTERTITLE

SEE Calibe Conversion dialog image below

Using MobiCreator to create an external TOC

Since Mobicreator does not insert any page breaks prior to chapter it is best to use the "Auto Chapter..." option, located on the menu bar, if you wish to have page breaks for a new chapter.

For the "Table of Contents" section in the MobiCreator tool insert the following text in the table.

p,class,2CHAPTERTITLE

p,class,21CHAPTERSUBTITLE

See Mobi Image for an example
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BC_MobiPocket_Create-TOC.jpg
Views:	1474
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	17434   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC_Calibre_LIT-Instructions.jpg
Views:	1423
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	17435  

Last edited by =X=; 10-30-2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Corrected error in text; reported by Ortep
Old 10-30-2008, 03:53 AM   #64
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Creating external TOC for LRF/MOBI files

NOTE: Calibe always inserts a page break a chapter. There is no way to disable this today. To avoid double page breaks run the “Find Chapter w/o Page Break”.

Since Mobicreator does not insert any page breaks prior to chapter it is best to use the “Find Chapter with Page Break” option if you wish to have page breaks for a new chapter.
Hi =X=

I remember seeing both those options. But when I checked I found out that today I only have one of them in the drop down list. Is it me again?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chapter.jpg
Views:	1027
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	17438  
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #65
=X=
Wizard

Hi Orthep,
Thank you for pointing this out. Your version of BookCreator is correct. I just need to update the text I posted last night.

That text was written when I had both menu options under the same menu.

This was back in 1.5. In 2.0 I moved the Auto Chapter with/Page Breaks to the menu bar and renamed it "Auto Chapter".

My apologies for the confusion.

=X=
Old 11-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #66
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
saving the converted file

I'm a newbie and this may be stupid, but I NEED to learn.

I'm using BC 2.52, Word 2007 on Vista 64. I can open the BC template in Word and import my file. Now, at this step do I simply hit the create lrf command or should I make my own format changes and then hit the create lrf command?
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #67
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
I'm a newbie and this may be stupid, but I NEED to learn.

I'm using BC 2.52, Word 2007 on Vista 64. I can open the BC template in Word and import my file. Now, at this step do I simply hit the create lrf command or should I make my own format changes and then hit the create lrf command?
Hi daesdaemar,
Good question.
Just for clarity. Make sure you're not opening the BC template but create a document using the template. (This can be done by double clicking on the template.)

Now to answer your question
The "Create LRF..." creates the final LRF document. So usually that is the last step.

STEPS
1. Create an new document using the template
2. Import the document
3. Modify the document
4. Save the document
5. "Create LRF..." (or MOBI/IMP)
Also BookCreator requires calibre, to make LRF books so make sure you have that installed.

=X=
Old 11-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #68
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Quote:
Hi daesdaemar,
Good question.
Just for clarity. Make sure you're not opening the BC template but create a document using the template. (This can be done by double clicking on the template.)

Now to answer your question
The "Create LRF..." creates the final LRF document. So usually that is the last step.

STEPS
1. Create an new document using the template
2. Import the document
3. Modify the document
4. Save the document
5. "Create LRF..." (or MOBI/IMP)
Also BookCreator requires calibre, to make LRF books so make sure you have that installed.

=X=
Thank you. That clarifies it all.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:46 AM   #69
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I've been trying to save as EPUB or LRF, but when I hit the appropriate button, it looks like it's going through the motions for a second or two, but then there is no EPUB or LRF file that I can find.

Using MSO 2007. What am I doing wrong?

P.S. I am on Vista Ultimate. Is it a problem only with the 2007 version of Word?

Last edited by Sonist; 11-14-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #70
Saladdin
Enthusiast
Saladdin is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I've been trying to save as EPUB or LRF, but when I hit the appropriate button, it looks like it's going through the motions for a second or two, but then there is no EPUB or LRF file that I can find.

Same thing for me : the .lrf seems to be created, but no file is written on the hard drive...

Calibre is installed, so what happened ?

I've got Windows XP & Word 2007...
Saladdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #71
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post

P.S. I am on Vista Ultimate. Is it a problem only with the 2007 version of Word?
I am not aware of any OS/Word version issues. I believe there are other members using Word '07 and Vista.

The eBook creation requires Calibre. Do you have calibre installed? If so what version of do you have installed?

Also what version of BookCreator do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladdin View Post
Same thing for me : the .lrf seems to be created, but no file is written on the hard drive...

Calibre is installed, so what happened ?

I've got Windows XP & Word 2007...
What version do you have. I know BookCreator had some problems with the earlier version of ePUB. But most of those issues have been worked out.

Check you path make sure you have the paths on BookCreator pointing to the correct location of Calibre.

NOTE TO BOTH POSTERS:

Please enable the debug output. This is the command sent out to calbire to create the eBook.

Steps
1) Open the Word document you wish to convert to an eBook in Bookup a BC new file in MS Word
2) Depress the Alt+F11 button.
3) Follow the steps in the image attached
4) Create the eBook (LRF/ePUB)
5) In the specified directory there should be a debug.txt file
// Post the file here and/or run the output in the debug.txt from a command line
5) Start|run...

=X=
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Setting_Debug_Flag_on.png
Views:	1042
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	17873   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony_LRF_Calibre_path.png
Views:	1066
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	17874  
Old 11-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #72
Saladdin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Also what version of BookCreator do you have?
Latest one I think (v2.5.2), and Calibre is 0.4.105

Quote:
Check you path make sure you have the paths on BookCreator pointing to the correct location of Calibre.
The path is correct...

Quote:
Please enable the debug output. This is the command sent out to calbire to create the eBook.
I followed all the steps, but... no debug.txt file is created in my chosen folder !
Old 11-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #73
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladdin View Post
Latest one I think (v2.5.2), and Calibre is 0.4.105

The path is correct...

I followed all the steps, but... no debug.txt file is created in my chosen folder !
Are your macros working, can you preform other task on BookCreator?

Also there might be a problem with the path you are using try a real simple path like "C:\"

=X=
Old 11-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #74
Saladdin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Are your macros working, can you preform other task on BookCreator?

Also there might be a problem with the path you are using try a real simple path like "C:\"

=X=
Yes, the macros are working.
Well, not all of them, but perhaps there's an issue with french words ?(tools>remove extra paragraphes/white space gets an error 5560 "Le texte recherché contient un critère spécial qui n'est pas valide")...

I tried a simple path, but again, no file created (be it the .lrf or the debug.txt)...
Old 11-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #75
Saladdin
Enthusiast

I finally made it work...

I don't understand all of it (I'm not a programmer...), but what I do understand is that I must use a new model file "BookCreator.dot" right from the zip archive each time I want to make it work. I can't use a simple model, I must use a new one, so it's what you said on another message (silly me...) :

Quote:
Make sure you're not opening the BC template but create a document using the template. (This can be done by double clicking on the template.)
In fact, I must open the BC template by double clicking on the Windows Explorer (it doesn't work when I create a document using the template within Word), then make my book (the Import button, or simply type my text) and save. Then the "lrf" button works...

I must use a new model file "BookCreator.dot", because if I don't save the changes on the model when asked (even if I saved my book on a separate file), I get an error. But the next time I use this saved model, it doesn't work, I get errors...