Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
rabbi
mobile rabbi
rabbi began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Question Privacy on K4NT

Hi Guys,

two days ago I ordered myself a K4NT (black modell) from amazon.

I thought it would be a good idea to read some pdf-documents from my job on this reader instead of carrying a notebook with me all the time.

Since I started informing myself bit more about the K4NT, I ve read, that amazon is collecting data from these reader. But I have no clue which data is in fact collected.

I was wondering if it would be indeed a good idea to use this reader for business documents, cause these are sensible information.

So could anybody report me, which infomration is in fact collected by amazon? - I guess no one might know better than you, cause what I ve seen so far you guys are able to understand the source code of the kindle software.

Kind regards 'n Shalom

rabbi
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Amazon is only a secondary threat to that sort of usage.

First threat is physical security.
Your documents are as likely to fall into the wrong hands as that tiny, light weight, device is.
Almost as bad as putting the information on an un-protected flash drive.

So before worrying about Amazon, first establish an encrypted drive or drive space for the documents.
**DO NOT** store the key on the device.
**DO** provide a way to close the encrypted space when the kernel goes to sleep - I.E: The encrypted space should be locked if (when) the kernel is resumed.

PS: I sure hope your company doesn't have a copy of my medical records for you to carry around on your device!!!!
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
rabbi
mobile rabbi
rabbi began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Thanks for your thoughts. Could you give me a hint how to install (correct word?) an encrypted drive on the K4NT?

Any more ideas, which information is collected by amazon?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. Could you give me a hint how to install (correct word?) an encrypted drive on the K4NT?

Any more ideas, which information is collected by amazon?
If you can wait a few days, yes.
I need to finish my current series of HowTo posts first.
(Which will end soon, with the blocking of "Big Brother")

You will be needing that your K4 have the "Jailbreak" installed.
You will be needing at least the USBnetwork installed.
You **may** be needing the new KUAL launcher installed.

I may have to ask twobob to build some of the support utilities.
And the Amazon kernel build used on the K4 checked for support of crypto drives.

All very straight forward, but time consuming things.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote