Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
ATTN Kobo programmers: Trouble with 2.31

After updating and a logout/login to correct problems I have noticed this (as reported by others).

While reading an epub, going to the home page of the KT and then returning to the epub I arrive at the head of the first page of that number. As each of us sets up the page display differently this might be different for most everyone. If I'm on page 76, which has been broken down into 3 or 4 screens of text, when I return from the home page I end up on the first display screen every time even if I was reading the 2nd or 3rd displayed screen of page 76. If I am on the first displayed screen of page 77 I have ended up on the last displayed screen of page 76. I am usually in the vicinity of the point I left but never the same screen of text. I had never experienced this bug before the update.

Oh well, new update new challenges. I will wait for an newer update to fix this, hopefully.

Last edited by volpo; 12-18-2012 at 11:02 AM.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
I can also confirm this problem and that bookmarking in general seems to be knackered. If you make a bookmark, in theory selecting annotations should display all your book marks and be an easy way to get to a particular bookmark. All the bookmarks are displayed but they all state "0% into chapter" and if you click on any it takes you to the beginning of the chapter. Hence why I presume it states incorrectly, 0% into chapter! Can anyone else confirm the annotations behaviour?

Again a very poor showing by Kobo. Kobo how come with every update you consistently manage to break something that was previously fixed! It is just not good enough.
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
terragady
terragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura about

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
After updating and a logout/login to correct problems I have noticed this (as reported by others).

While reading an epub, going to the home page of the KT and then returning to the epub I arrive at the head of the first page of that number. As each of us sets up the page display differently this might be different for most everyone. If I'm on page 76, which has been broken down into 3 or 4 screens of text, when I return from the home page I end up on the first display screen every time even if I was reading the 2nd or 3rd displayed screen of page 76. If I am on the first displayed screen of page 77 I have ended up on the last displayed screen of page 76. I am usually in the vicinity of the point I left but never the same screen of text. I had never experienced this bug before the update.

Oh well, new update new challenges. I will wait for an newer update to fix this, hopefully.
I can confirm that as well and it's very annoying... grrr
Someone says here that backing to 2.1.5 is only option for now..
terragady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by terragady View Post
I can confirm that as well and it's very annoying... grrr
Someone says here that backing to 2.1.5 is only option for now..
I went back to 2.1.5 and it was like meeting an old friend. Everything that I need to work just works. I might just stick with it for the life of the unit.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
terragady
terragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura about

Device: PW1
Yeah, but with every sync kobo will try to update...
terragady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Possible update block

Quote:
You can try connecting your Kobo to a computer, opening the version file in the .kobo directory and changing the version number to a higher number.

On my Glo, the version file contains the following string:
613A294056789,2.6.35.3,4.9.9,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000330

Where you see the 4.9.9 (hopefully in bold) is where you would normally see the version of the installed software. This will not work after a factory reset when the version will be set to the original firmware version and either a wireless sync or a desktop sync will try to update but if you are on 2.1.5 and don't want 2.3.1, it does seem to work.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Same problem here on both my touch and glo. I have been using Kobo's since the original and love the devices. This, however, is a pretty common pattern. Kobo releases new firmware, almost always buggy. There will be plenty of frustrated new customers receiving these devices for Christmas, only to find out that book marking is out of wack. Many will not realize that the issue is with the firmware and will head back to Chapters/Indigo on BDay.
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #8
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
No need to ever sync if you download everything from Kobo as an epub using Kobo desktop and then using Calibre to manage.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidoid View Post
No need to ever sync if you download everything from Kobo as an epub using Kobo desktop and then using Calibre to manage.
and then, in fact, no need to buy from Kobo at all unless they have a competitive price. Try out Calibre's "Get Books" feature and sort the results by price. Plenty of savings to be had.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
voidoid
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
and then, in fact, no need to buy from Kobo at all unless they have a competitive price. Try out Calibre's "Get Books" feature and sort the results by price. Plenty of savings to be had.
Exactly.