Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You can still take advantage of the 30 day return, to see if the PW works for you. It might be the best way to have your questions answered.
If I buy it he wont let me return it unless it's defective. It's just too much of a hassle for him to drop it off at the UPS store.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You can still take advantage of the 30 day return, to see if the PW works for you. It might be the best way to have your questions answered.
Agreed. Especially since the only way to test it is in your actual scenario. If you successfully read without him growling at you then it passes! No way you could test this out at a retail store.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Level 24 is for reading with very bright ambient light (i.e. sunlight). The 'dark cones' are completely invisible in those conditions (I just tried it). You would not use that level for most indoor lighting.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If I buy it he wont let me return it unless it's defective. It's just too much of a hassle for him to drop it off at the UPS store.
In that case get some bear repellant in case he growls at you while reading.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Oh no, there is no change in the visible light as such, no camera flash effect, no glow bouncing off the walls, etc. It just amplifies the view a a page refreshing (flashing) that is all. As long as the light level doesn't bother your husband while you are reading a page it won't bother him while you turn a page.
Oh Good! That was main concern someone mention it was like a light flashing on and off. I was worried because he last night complain with my KF with Screen Dim on at minimum that it was bugging him. I ignore him about that. I've already gave up a book light, a lighted case but if the PW has a flash effect I wouldn't be able to justify using it.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
You can arrange to have UPS pick-up from you. I have an item I'm about to return and having UPS pick-up was an option. In my case it was a Marketplace item fulfilled by Amazon so I'm not sure the same option would be available for the PW but you can always ask Amazon before you buy it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Thank you for the report Jack. I have been following your first impressions and it did unsettle me. Since mine is arriving here in Europe through a forwarder, it is going to be a pain if I need to send it back, but at least the replacement units are OK.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #23
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Pickup

Quote:
For $ 5.00 UPS will pick up at your house. You can even hand the package to the driver for free if you are getting another delivery.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #24
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Oh Good! That was main concern someone mention it was like a light flashing on and off. I was worried because he last night complain with my KF with Screen Dim on at minimum that it was bugging him. I ignore him about that. I've already gave up a book light, a lighted case but if the PW has a flash effect I wouldn't be able to justify using it.
My hubby is a real pain in the behind (and believe me, thIs is a huge understatement) regarding lights at night while he sleeps, he is bothered by my using a tablet or a clip on light on my K4NT, but he does not mind the Nook GL at all. I am hoping he will be fine with the PW. On a side note, if in the dark, he can sleep anywhere, in any position, on any surface, with or without noise. I at night because I can't sleep well at all. Life is a bitch...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
My hubby is a real pain in the behind (and believe me, thIs is a huge understatement) regarding lights at night while he sleeps, he is bothered by my using a tablet or a clip on light on my K4NT, but he does not mind the Nook GL at all. I am hoping he will be fine with the PW. On a side note, if in the dark, he can sleep anywhere, in any position, on any surface, with or without noise. I at night because I can't sleep well at all. Life is a bitch...
I read at night because I nap too much in afternoon. I'm Anemic so I'm always exhausted but I can't always sleep. Reading helps me relax enough to sleep not to mention keep the worries at bay.

My hubby sounds like yours.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #26
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
There is a light flash that you can minimize by adjusting the screen refresh. The light flash does not bother me while I'm reading but it was noticeable to my wife. It was still better, from her perspective, than using the Touch with the integrated light in the case.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #27
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yes, at level 24 I can see the bottom shadows very clearly, though that doesn't bother me. I think that is going to be there on all of the PWs. I'm currently in a well lit room and as I turn up the light level I can just start noticing the bottom shadows at around level 12. Level 14 is just right for reading in this room. Level 24 is way too bright to comfortably read in this room.

But I'm not seeing the blotchiness all over the screen like I did with my defective PW. There is some shadow/light variations, but they are not that bad. My screen looks much like most of the photos I've seen from good units. It does NOT look as white and clean as the marketing photos, but I wouldn't expect it too!
Thanks for the information. It sounds like your screen is essentially the same as mine.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

It is still indexing from the library of books I loaded! Only 10 more books to index then I will unplug it from the charger and stat reading. I don't want to read while it is indexing as that often causes slow downs and I don't want to confuse that with any other issues. After it finishes indexing I can give it a full test drive.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #29
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Here is my suggestion:

Sandman
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #30
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
How to adjust page refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
There is a light flash that you can minimize by adjusting the screen refresh.
How do you adjust page refresh? If I tap Home \ Settings \ Reading Options I only see an icon to turn page refresh on and off. There is no way I can see to adjust how many pages pass before the refresh.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote