Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #166
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'm just getting into the idea of "cutting the cable" or in my case DirecTV. I've got a Boxee Box and my Blu-Ray does a few things such as Amazon VOD and have a 4TB Lacie NAS from which to stream stuff, but I'm still kind of in the investigation stage and not quite ready to drop the dish yet. One problem I'm running into right now is that my DSL connection is only 3Mbps (when it works) and that's the fastest I can get here. SD content streams fine, but HD stuff is no go a lot of the time. Guess it's time to see what kind of a connection I can get from Comcast. I just wish we had the broadband options/rates places like the UK seem to have.

At least this makes it sound better and cheaper across the pond...
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/28/w...-the-governme/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #167
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I don't recommend any at the moment. The channel choices are definitely not worth it IMO. What I would use it for and planned on using it for is streaming RSS feeds and movies from my computer. If that worked well, I'd consider keeping it. Right now it's only streaming SDTV onto my HDTV. The only reason I have it hooked up to that TV is so that I can compare files streamed via Roku and via LG's built in WiFi. The Roku has more features, but I can't get it to stream without pixelation like I can on the TV's built in WiFi system.
IF you look at the media manager of Plex does it show the shows as HD? If you have both and HD and SD file of the same show it seems to be hit and miss. Mine does stream HD just fine, as long as the source is HD. The only think it doesn't do is stream the Dolby D sound... only ProLogic II... but that is supposed to be coming. The one guy that is working on this hasn't worked on it for a few months due to personal issue. I wish Plex could put some more people on it... I think it is a great selling point to the Plex server.

The other though I had was to get the LG TVs that support Plex out of the box. Of course, that only works if you are in the market for new TVs.

I think LG also has the TV UPdater box which I think also supports the Plex server. I may give it a try in the Roku Plex client doesn't get an upgrade in the next month or so.

My other option was an Apple TV... but getting the meta data into the files isn't as simple.

Boxee was another option but I liked the idea of having multiple clients hit the same server.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #168
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
I don't recommend any at the moment. The channel choices are definitely not worth it IMO. What I would use it for and planned on using it for is streaming RSS feeds and movies from my computer. If that worked well, I'd consider keeping it. Right now it's only streaming SDTV onto my HDTV. The only reason I have it hooked up to that TV is so that I can compare files streamed via Roku and via LG's built in WiFi. The Roku has more features, but I can't get it to stream without pixelation like I can on the TV's built in WiFi system.
Interesting.

But do you have Hulu? I already have Netflix. Trying to find a balance or the same regular TV stuff that my wife likes, like CBS soaps and evening news. I was under the impression that with Hulu and Netflix people can get most of the "normal" channels without paying premium fees for that.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #169
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
IF you look at the media manager of Plex does it show the shows as HD? If you have both and HD and SD file of the same show it seems to be hit and miss. Mine does stream HD just fine, as long as the source is HD. The only think it doesn't do is stream the Dolby D sound... only ProLogic II... but that is supposed to be coming. The one guy that is working on this hasn't worked on it for a few months due to personal issue. I wish Plex could put some more people on it... I think it is a great selling point to the Plex server.

The other though I had was to get the LG TVs that support Plex out of the box. Of course, that only works if you are in the market for new TVs.

I think LG also has the TV UPdater box which I think also supports the Plex server. I may give it a try in the Roku Plex client doesn't get an upgrade in the next month or so.

My other option was an Apple TV... but getting the meta data into the files isn't as simple.

Boxee was another option but I liked the idea of having multiple clients hit the same server.
The movies that I've tried streaming from my HDD on my computer are either 1080 or 720. The reason why I hooked up the Roku to the LG HDTV, which already has wireless capabilities, is so I can compare how identical HD video files look streaming through the the tv itself, then through Roku onto the same screen. Movies that were so sharp I could make out a fingerprint, were completely pixelated via Roku. I'm not giving up on it yet. For $100, it should be able to do what it says it can do, I just don't understand why it won't stream from my HDD in HD.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #170
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The movies that I've tried streaming from my HDD on my computer are either 1080 or 720. The reason why I hooked up the Roku to the LG HDTV, which already has wireless capabilities, is so I can compare how identical HD video files look streaming through the the tv itself, then through Roku onto the same screen. Movies that were so sharp I could make out a fingerprint, were completely pixelated via Roku. I'm not giving up on it yet. For $100, it should be able to do what it says it can do, I just don't understand why it won't stream from my HDD in HD.
Are you using Plex or just a directly connected USB? With Plex there have been some streaming fixes that you can get on the web site. They haven't been released to an official version yet.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:27 AM   #171
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Are you using Plex or just a directly connected USB? With Plex there have been some streaming fixes that you can get on the web site. They haven't been released to an official version yet.

BOb
Directly connected USB? I don't have anything connected via USB ... that I know of. The Roku is connected via HDMI to the TV. I use the Roku app that you showed me. I have a wireless router and... oh... the Plex app/server that I use on my computer.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #172
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Testing Roku now...

Testing time: 1 week
Hardware: Roku with USB port (the top of the line model)
Premium services: Netflix (which I had) and HuluPlus

Favorite shows
Wife Modern Families and Young and the Restless
Me: CBS news and CBS early show

So far... so good ... only thing we're missing or not able to find is wife's soap opera (see above) and my favorite old TV Show, The Wonderful Years

It's going to be difficult not use Uverse TV, when the box is just there, hahaha...
Old 07-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #173
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Testing Roku now...

Testing time: 1 week
Hardware: Roku with USB port (the top of the line model)
Premium services: Netflix (which I had) and HuluPlus

Favorite shows
Wife Modern Families and Young and the Restless
Me: CBS news and CBS early show

So far... so good ... only thing we're missing or not able to find is wife's soap opera (see above) and my favorite old TV Show, The Wonderful Years

It's going to be difficult not use Uverse TV, when the box is just there, hahaha...
Are you watching the shows in HD or SD? I had Hulu Plus the first month it came out but got rid of it because it didn't have much in HD, same for Netflix. I'm wondering if it's up to speed.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #174
jocampo
Layback feline

Hi Sol,

Modern Family is in HD. As a matter of fact, looks better than regular UVERSE TV. I think MF is HD available here on Houston, but not sure if the local channel is being HD broadcasted. Does not look as good via UVERSE TV, that's for sure. A point for Roku!

Having issues finding The Young and the Restless, even on private channels. I am testing the ability to download that via Youtube or CBS website on later play via USB dongle using Roku.

If I'm not able to find The Young and the Restless, the experiment will be over by the end of the week, hahahaha, wife really loves that show.

Watched a few movies via Netflix and they look awesome! And no cut off. The Roku box is connected via ethernet and I do have the 3Mb Internet package. Not the fastest one, but because I am only testing would like to know how it goes. Does not look I need anything faster, mainly because the Roku box is streaming via ethernet I think.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #175
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
No changes here. Missing Torchwood ...

Was able to catch up on Dr. Who...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #176
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm just getting into the idea of "cutting the cable" or in my case DirecTV. I've got a Boxee Box and my Blu-Ray does a few things such as Amazon VOD and have a 4TB Lacie NAS from which to stream stuff, but I'm still kind of in the investigation stage and not quite ready to drop the dish yet. One problem I'm running into right now is that my DSL connection is only 3Mbps (when it works) and that's the fastest I can get here. SD content streams fine, but HD stuff is no go a lot of the time. Guess it's time to see what kind of a connection I can get from Comcast. I just wish we had the broadband options/rates places like the UK seem to have.

At least this makes it sound better and cheaper across the pond...
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/28/w...-the-governme/
Go for it! I'm almost a year out and doing fine....
Old 07-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #177
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No changes here. Missing Torchwood ...

Was able to catch up on Dr. Who...
Hey! you're back, hahaha...
Old 07-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #178
kennyc

Shhhh!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #179
jocampo
Layback feline

ok, so ... a silly question ...

I managed to find or install a channel with today's or most recent CBS news or CBS Early Show. It is a private channel, NoWhere TV. How these channels are recorded and later broadcasted this way, captured from regulate national TV? Also, are they paying fees or royalties for doing that, is this legal ?

By the way, the quality, again, better or same than my regular UVERSE, I'm surprised.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #180
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
It is a private channel, NoWhere TV. How these channels are recorded and later broadcasted this way, captured from regulate national TV? Also, are they paying fees or royalties for doing that, is this legal ?
From what I've been reading while researching some things quite a few of those private channels are offering bootleg/pirate content.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote