Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
What screens will new PB 901/902/903 use?

Hello there,
September is a big day for news. I convinced myself that I need bigger device for my needs, so I preordered Amazon's DX that is shipping tomorrow, cause it was the only candidate, unfortunately. Then I found out that Pocket Book releases bigger devices this fall. I d prefer getting Pocket Book's device rather than Amazon's one. But I wonder what screens those devices will use. I understand that no plastic screens so far. But I am mostly concerned about black/white, sharpness ratio and amount of glare. Are those screens will be brighter and whiter with darker fonts? Will they be comparable to new Amazon's pearl screens? I watched some YouTube videos and they look pretty good but its tough to make any judgement before actually trying a real thing.
Thanks
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
They refused to specify. Latest word is they won't be plastic. Beyond that...
If you interpret the non-answer answer, essentially they said they'll use the best they can get.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They refused to specify. Latest word is they won't be plastic. Beyond that...
If you interpret the non-answer answer, essentially they said they'll use the best they can get.
LOL. Thats a nice answer. OK, will see what they can offer but if they want to beat US market they should price it not more than $400 I guess
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Current guessing/gossip places the 902 at US$315-350.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Current guessing/gossip places the 902 at US$315-350.
Is it pro model? The one with touch screen bluetooth and other stuff?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
Is it pro model? The one with touch screen bluetooth and other stuff?
ALL models are called Pro now. Those with touch and also those without. To confuse the competition.
The difference is in number. 602 and 902 are without touch and 3G, 603 and 903 are with touch and 3G. To make things even more confusing for the competitors, the "touch" isn't really touch, because it doesn't work with finger, only with special Wacom stylus.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
ALL models are called Pro now. Those with touch and also those without. To confuse the competition.
The difference is in number. 602 and 902 are without touch and 3G, 603 and 903 are with touch and 3G. To make things even more confusing for the competitors, the "touch" isn't really touch, because it doesn't work with finger, only with special Wacom stylus.
Wacom is great. I d even prefer using stylus than a finger. But the thing i d really like to know if the screens are on par with new Pearl screens.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
Do I understand it well that the 902 has no note taking capability, and that only the 903 does?
On the video's I only saw someone write on the screen of the 903... not on the 902.

Last edited by Lode; 09-10-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode View Post
Do I understand it well that the 902 has no note taking capability, and that only the 903 does?
On the video's I only saw someone write on the screen of the 903... not on the 902.
If you mean pen-based note-taking, then only the 903 has it.
The 902 doesn't come with the digitizer.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

OK, thank you.
I assume that there is not another -non-pen- way of note taking on the 902.
(As you can see, I am a beginner in this e-reader business.)

Last edited by Lode; 09-12-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
pashlit
Zealot

So any other news, rumors, gossips on PB new toys? I got my Kindle DX and have 30 days to figure out what if I should keep it. PB 903 is my current bet but I need more info about screens, price, technical data etc.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode View Post
OK, thank you.
I assume that there is not another -non-pen- way of note taking on the 902.
(As you can see, I am a beginner in this e-reader business.)
There has been talk of bluetooth keyboard support, possibly USB keyboard support. Plus there is a decent onscreen keyboard on existing models; what is needed is a note-taking app/feature--the 903 will have it. 902? Unclear, but likely.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
PocketGoods
Banned
PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: PB360
Hi, guys

Here are some pictures of new Sony PRS650 (new pearl screen) and the "old" PB302 in comparison. It is quite comparable to despite of PB302 touchscreen layer over e-ink screen..

Sorry for poor quality - I filmed with my HTC.

The new screens of PB603 (602) and PB903 (902) are without a touchscreen layer over it and are hardly different of Sony's new model with "pearl" screen.. I couldn't see any difference in IFA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPGXDH8yZWg

Last edited by PocketGoods; 09-13-2010 at 09:57 AM.
PocketGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 AM   #14
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nothing
Anything news about release date of Pocketbook Pro 902 and its price plus which kind of screen will use?...

(I wonder why manufacturers DOESN'T UNDERSTAND this year IS the time to sell those damn 9.7" products due for better reading PDFs adopting Adobe Digital Editions which would manage in optimal way PDF documents.)

Ciao,
Luigi
Luigino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
Lode
Zealot

Quote:
There has been talk of bluetooth keyboard support, possibly USB keyboard support. Plus there is a decent onscreen keyboard on existing models; what is needed is a note-taking app/feature--the 903 will have it. 902? Unclear, but likely.
Thank you.
So do I understand it well that it will be possible to make corrections in a text on the 903 -and hopefully 902 as well- using a keyboard on the screen, and for those who write faster on a regular keyboard, by plugging a separate full keyboard into it?

That would be really ideal for kids doing homework as well as for writers. So much easier and more pleasant than doing it on a much bigger, heavier less wieldy laptop, let alone than having to always sit in front of a desktop pc.
It would be like doing it on a light paper notepad, leisurely sitting in your easy chair, couch, hammock or anywhere else, without having all those pounds of weight on your lap.

PS:
I just thought of this: It would indeed be handy if one could quickly scribble corrections/notes in the text (903) and then later type in the corrections. But will that be possible to do while the scribbles are visible? And then later remove those? I assume it will.
So then it becomes a matter of choice if one wants that scribble feature, or only the option to correct/add text directly by typing it in (902?).
Do I understand that well?

Last edited by Lode; 09-17-2010 at 10:46 AM.