Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
how do i set BOLD font output in calibre?

how do i set BOLD font output in calibre?

i accidently discovered that the readability in kindle 3 is much improved when i converted Mars is Heaven by Ray Bradbury from pdf to mobi using the latest clibre.

the font came outs BOLD AND THICK.

The rain in Spain is mainly is in the plain.

I think it is in Impact or Aerial Black.

The rain in Spain is mainly is in the plain <----it looked like this but was slightly thicker.

In any case there is no option that i could find to make all conversions to default to thick and bold font as explained above.

A look in calibre plugins did not reveal anything or in calibre settings so that all conversion outputs in mobi result in thick and bold font as the default.

The question is how can i set all conversion outputs from input file always default to mobi bold and thick font output as shown above.

Last edited by vugtitan; 09-17-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: examples of fonts.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

You can set calibre to use Bold text in mobi output during conversions by inserting CSS in the Extra CSS field on the conversion Look and Feel window. Depending on the existing CSS for the book, you can add

Code:
body { font-weight: bold }
and the text for the whole book will be bolded. However, mobi cannot embed fonts so I'm not sure how you managed to get a font other than the Kindle fonts to display. I suspect you merely saw a bold version of a Kindle font. Unless your Kindle is hacked, in which case I have no idea what it might be able to display.

BTW, I use the body { font-weight: bold } CSS on all of my books (mobi and ePub) that I read with eInk screens. Otherwise, even the Pearl eInk screens do not produce text that is dark enough for my eyes to comfortably read for hours.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-17-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I use the following in Preferences -> Common Options -> Extra CSS:
Code:
body {
    font-family: sans-serif;
	font-weight: bold;
	text-align:  left;
}
The font you are describing might not be the default sans-serif, but try this first. You don't need to include text-align: unless you always want left (or always want justify if you replace left with justify).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I think the best way to do this is to install your own font. This will work on ALL mobi books, and you don't need to run them through calibre conversion first. You can either use the hack that requires jailbreak (see developer sub forum) or the one that does not require jailbreak. Google "change kindle font without jailbreak".

The best part is you can select whatever font face and weight you like. Many fonts have a Medium or Demi variant that work well. With a font editor, you can really tweak it to get it exactly as you want.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I think the best way to do this is to install your own font. This will work on ALL mobi books, and you don't need to run them through calibre conversion first. You can either use the hack that requires jailbreak (see developer sub forum) or the one that does not require jailbreak. Google "change kindle font without jailbreak".

The best part is you can select whatever font face and weight you like. Many fonts have a Medium or Demi variant that work well. With a font editor, you can really tweak it to get it exactly as you want.
Cool hack, it actually works with KSO models too.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-18-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I use the following in Preferences -> Common Options -> Extra CSS:
Code:
body {
    font-family: sans-serif;
	font-weight: bold;
	text-align:  left;
}
The font you are describing might not be the default sans-serif, but try this first. You don't need to include text-align: unless you always want left (or always want justify if you replace left with justify).
Thanks for that.

Is there a list of fonts families so that i can experiment with different fonts.

i mean will css recognize if i put Trebuchet MS or Tahoma for font family?

Where can i get a list of font family commands or names?

Has anyone else done experiments in clarity,legibility,readability by using particular font famiy in css conversions and what were the results?
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bold, font, thick