Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
keith14121
keith14121 doesn't litterkeith14121 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, Ipad
UK ebooks

I'm getting a bit frustrated that so many ebooks I want to buy are "not available in your country", i.e. the UK. The strange thing is that many of them are by UK authors.

Anybody got any insight of why this is? I'm sure this may have been the subject of posts in the past, but I've just registered on MobileRead so apologies if I'm covering old ground.
keith14121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!

No clue really. I do know that the library here contains a lot of high quality public domain books.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Keith. The excuse is that publishers impose geographical restrictions on ebooks because of contractual limitations (a book might be run by different publishing houses in different countries).

Perhaps this is often the case. On the other hand, I've heard of some retailers refusing downloads of books by my own indie publishing house, although we make it clear that we hold international rights on all titles a publish a single international edition of each.

How come you can buy any title in paperback? The problem is red tape. When you place an order for a treebook with, say, Amazon, the point of sale is the US from which it is shipped abroad, so that's OK. When you buy an ebook, the point of sale is the country in which you download it -- in other words, the point of sale is your own computer or device and territorial publishing rules apply.

There are ways and means around these restrictions (someone else would be able to give detail -- I've never bothered), but it means jumping through hoops by getting a US pal to send you gift coupons and/or sometimes saling pretty close to the wind legally by disguising your location by providing a retailer with untruthful details.

Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
UK publishers took longer to really jump on board with ebooks and therefore don't have as big a catalog available yet.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Hi, and welcome.

Neilmarr's answer is very complete. I would add that there are lots of books without restrictions; it is worth looking around for some that don't have restrictions. What sort of books do you typically read?

(And of course there are all the free, out-of-copyright books that you can find on this site.)
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi keith14121 and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hi and welcome to MR!
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #8
keith14121
keith14121 doesn't litterkeith14121 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Hi, and welcome.

Neilmarr's answer is very complete. I would add that there are lots of books without restrictions; it is worth looking around for some that don't have restrictions. What sort of books do you typically read?

(And of course there are all the free, out-of-copyright books that you can find on this site.)
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Books I typically read are Dan Browne, Glenn Cooper, Sam Bourne, Andy McDermott type thrillers. The book I'm trying to get is Thomas Greanias' The Atlantis Revelation. Amazon.com lists this as being "not available for customers from the United Kingdom"
keith14121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello keith, and Name:  black rooster.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  5.3 KB to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
It is of course very stupid that you can buy a paper book and have it shipped to any location on the globe, and that the global internet is treated with these restrictions.

Moreover, some sellers may use the location of your computer as the selling point, which i find stupid in itself, but others use the billing address of your credit card, which is even more stupid IMO. Fortunately others will allow you to enter an address, but even then I find these restrictions stupid anyway. It's 20th century policy applied to the 21st.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 AM   #11
wilsonlaidlaw
wilsonlaidlaw began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hi to all. Just joined this forum as I have an iPad arriving on Friday. I have been reading eBooks for some 15+ years on laptops but it will be nice to have something a bit lighter and more portable.

There is nothing to stop anyone buying from a US or say Canadian website. You can use a proxy IP to hide your country of origin and pay via Paypal. I have had no problem buying books not yet published in the UK. I find this much less of a problem than the ever increasing proliferation of incompatible formats and user unfriendly security.

I changed last year from a Macbook to a Macbook Pro. I have been unable to transfer across some of my older secure ePub books. Adobe give me endless and wholly useless methods of trying to get round this, many of them purely for PC's not Mac's, even though I have told them a number of times I only use Mac's.

The only way round this is to reload the ePub book from your digital bookcase but of course, this only works if the download remains there and is not time limited, which some of my older ones were.

Wilson
wilsonlaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Paypal doesn't always help. I have had sites where they apparently ask Paypal for your country.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Hello and welcome to MR
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya Wilson. Good to have you with us.

It's a terrible shame that the honest reader is expected to perform gymnastics just to read a book he wants (and then to share it with a buddy -- which is another hoop-jumping game).

The problem exists. It should be fixed. Simple as that.

It's up to governments, retailers, device manufacturers and publishers to handle the job.

My own wee indie does its bit by offering international editions, non-DRM and low prices. Then we find that our books are territorially restricted, have DRM imposed and cover prices increased.

We can all bring popular pressure to bear -- small publishers, authors, readers -- by expressing our feelings LOUDLY!!! But the major league players have to rewrite the rule book and allow fair access to fair readers at fair prices before we can save and promote the written word.

Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #15
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
Moreover, some sellers may use the location of your computer as the selling point, which i find stupid in itself, but others use the billing address of your credit card, which is even more stupid IMO. Fortunately others will allow you to enter an address, but even then I find these restrictions stupid anyway. It's 20th century policy applied to the 21st.
In some cases, the main issue is that of VAT - which, in the current economic climate can be critical to most governments. The ebook stores that slap their own geo restrictions are, I suspect, simply loathe to get into the issues of collecting the appropriate VAT outside of their home countries.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote