Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #27496
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
congrats daughter of orlock!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:28 AM   #27497
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Yay! (They didn't want to cast her real Dad?!?!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Congratulations, orlok! Good news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Yay!!!! Congrats Orlok!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Congrats to her from me, it you will. And congrats to you and yours for passing on such talented genes! I hope she comes to love the business!

Stitchawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Congratulations!!! I hope she has a great time doing this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
congrats daughter of orlock!
Thanks all. It has always been what she has wanted to do, right from childhood when she used to boss around direct her younger sisters in mini film productions. She has been the lead in a couple of local Am-Dram plays, and also has just made a music EP with the band she is part of (guitar and harmonies), but this is the biggest thing she has done, so we are very exited.

Back to reality with black coffee - about to set off on a 160 mile round trip for work...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #27498
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Sencha. Yummy, yummy Sencha
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #27499
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I keep trying various Senchas, but they just don't work for me as well as China Greens. Ah, well, that's why there are so many successful teas - so many different tastes.

This morning, I just finished my fresh squeezed orange juice and waiting for my tea to cool a bit. Murchie's Prince Charles. Haven't had it in a while, looking forward to it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #27500
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Fresh brewed Sumatra coffee in my cup and making some sourdough toast.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #27501
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Soon to be filled with Laphroaig .... as I watch the snow flakes drift onto the deck [we left the Xmas lights up on the railing .... makes a pretty picture]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #27502
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the flowers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the flowers gone?
Young girls have picked them everyone.
Oh, when will they ever learn?
Oh, when will they ever learn?

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y2SIIeqy34&feature=kp )

To honor the lifetime's work of a great American...

Good morning, everyone. It's a sad day indeed for the world, with the passing of Pete Seeger. But as Arlo Guthrie said when he heard the news, ""Well, of course he passed away! But that doesn't mean he's gone." What a wonderful sentiment for a wonderful man. I've got unbranded Keemun tea in my cup, and I raise it to you, Pete, for teaching me so much about the world around me through your music, your crusades for a healthier planet, and your wonderful commentaries on American workers. Thank you, Pete Seeger. You were an inspiration.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 AM   #27503
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Which side are you on?

Sleepytime (camomile) tea in my cup.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:29 AM   #27504
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I just feel mutely horrified about the situation here in Atlanta, which is why I haven't mentioned it before now. Yesterday, midmorning, we had the perfect storm of a winter storm, frigid temps, no bad weather infrastructure,poor planning on the parts of most school systems, and a release of every school and business in the metro area at one time. Gridlock happened about noon yesterday all over the area, and continues 15 hours later. Thousands of people who left work and school are STILL IN THEIR CARS. It is 16F. No roads have been treated because all roads are parking lots. Parents couldn't get home to the few kids that did make it home. Every school in my county had anywhere from a few to 300 students left overnight. A baby was born in a car on I285. My nephew spent the night making supply runs to schools that he could get to. A young friend of mine who is a monitor on a special needs bus was stuck on the bus with disabled children for over 12 hours, until the sheriffs Dept managed to ferry them to another school, where they were left. And what really has me sitting here in frustrated tears is my friend's college age granddaughter, who left the hospital before noon yesterday right when the weather began, to try and get her grandfather home after her grandmother's open heart surgery (he is quite ill himself and oxygen-dependent, so other family members stayed with the surgery patient). As far as I know, she us STILL ON THE ROAD, in gridlock, on the freeway. Pete's oxygen was running out. Her little brother is with them. Total nightmare. No reports from her since about 3 a.m. so maybe, hopefully, somebody got them off of the road. I don't know.

I don't know what to say. There is so much finger-pointing happening, but really now that is unimportant. - just deal with it and assign guilt later. I'm safe at home in a beautiful snowy landscape, but miserable for all the people stuck. (My family members all got home safely, so there is that.) So, to stay on topic, hazelnut coffee in my cup as I watch the news unfold.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:06 AM   #27505
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I am struck speechless Betty. Positive thoughts heading in your direction.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #27506
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I don't know what to say Betty. Best of luck to everyone.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 AM   #27507
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My young friend is home safely! I'm so relieved.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #27508
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I just feel mutely horrified about the situation here in Atlanta, which is why I haven't mentioned it before now. Yesterday, midmorning, we had the perfect storm of a winter storm, frigid temps, no bad weather infrastructure,poor planning on the parts of most school systems, and a release of every school and business in the metro area at one time. Gridlock happened about noon yesterday all over the area, and continues 15 hours later. Thousands of people who left work and school are STILL IN THEIR CARS. It is 16F. No roads have been treated because all roads are parking lots. Parents couldn't get home to the few kids that did make it home. Every school in my county had anywhere from a few to 300 students left overnight. A baby was born in a car on I285. My nephew spent the night making supply runs to schools that he could get to. A young friend of mine who is a monitor on a special needs bus was stuck on the bus with disabled children for over 12 hours, until the sheriffs Dept managed to ferry them to another school, where they were left. And what really has me sitting here in frustrated tears is my friend's college age granddaughter, who left the hospital before noon yesterday right when the weather began, to try and get her grandfather home after her grandmother's open heart surgery (he is quite ill himself and oxygen-dependent, so other family members stayed with the surgery patient). As far as I know, she us STILL ON THE ROAD, in gridlock, on the freeway. Pete's oxygen was running out. Her little brother is with them. Total nightmare. No reports from her since about 3 a.m. so maybe, hopefully, somebody got them off of the road. I don't know.

I don't know what to say. There is so much finger-pointing happening, but really now that is unimportant. - just deal with it and assign guilt later. I'm safe at home in a beautiful snowy landscape, but miserable for all the people stuck. (My family members all got home safely, so there is that.) So, to stay on topic, hazelnut coffee in my cup as I watch the news unfold.
I'm sorry this happened and you had people involved in it. I have to say though when I first read of this on the news the first thing I thought was; "sounds like Katrina all over again." The news reports I read were that people were told to stay home, this was a serious storm and it was coming. It reads that just like Katrina, when those people were told to go, so many people in this situation thought they knew better and would flaunt the warnings and go on about their business. I'm sorry, but back in Colorado, and here in the PNW, when the weather weenies warn, we listen. I'm beginning to view issues like this in the same vein as people who ski outside marked terrain and get themselves into trouble... If you've been warned and have to be rescued, there will be consequences. Mostly financial

Last edited by kindlekitten; 01-29-2014 at 07:58 AM. Reason: typos
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #27509
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
In the DC region they over react and close things down when it really should be left up to individual discretion. If you are not comfortable driving, don't, if you are, do so carefully. This is mainly due to a situation similar to Betty's a few years back when the Government released all its employees and shut down its building right as the storm was hitting. Lots of stranded people and cars. It was a mess.

The mess could have been avoided by people paying more attention to what was happening. I left work early when I co-worker, who lived farther away, decided to go because of the updated weather report. He called up and said the parking lot was rapidly turning into an ice sheet. So my office bailed based on his report.

My husband left work 2 hours before everyone was released because the weather reports were not looking great.

I can fully understand why people in the South should not be out and about when there is going to be snow and ice. There simply is not the equipment or resources to clear the stuff or properly prep streets. I have no idea why school was held because they were calling for this storm for a little while.

I also get why people go to work. So many people are on the edge and cannot afford to miss a day or two of work. I get pissed when the government shuts down here. Nine times out of ten I can safely make it to work and would be home before the first flake even falls. Where a government employee gets paid for the day, some telecommute, many do not, people who are not govies do not get paid. We have to make up the hours or use vacation time. Some facilities will not let people make up the time.

I would guess that people didn't believe that the storm would be that bad, the lack of equipment, and people not responding quickly enough when it was clear it was going to be that bad caused for a bad situation.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #27510
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm sorry this happened and you had people involved in it. I have to say though when I first read of this on the news the first thing I thought was; "sounds like Katrina all over again." The bee reports I read were that people were told to stay home, this was a serious storm and it was coming. It reads that just like Katrina, when those people were told to go, so many people in this situation thought they knew better and would flaunt the warnings and go on about their business. I'm sorry, but back in Colorado, and here in the PNW, when the weather weenies warn, we listen. I'm beginning to view issues like this in the same vein as people who ski outside marked terrain and get themselves into trouble... If you've been warned and have
To be rescued, there will be consequences. Mostly financial
I WISH people had been told to stay home, but they weren't. You're just hearing that because they are trying to cover their asses. Schools were in session! As late as 11 a.m. my county sent out an official notice that there would be no early release - that students would be let out at the normal time. No, we were certainly not told to stay home, and they're lying through their teeth if that's the claim.

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?