Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I consider chick lit to be romance novels without the sex.
Romance with the sex is still chick-lit.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
I consider chick lit to be romance novels without the sex.
And a LOT more angst...and overindulgent shopping...and obsession with designer shoes.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
And a LOT more angst...and overindulgent shopping...and obsession with designer shoes.
A lot of that tends to whiz right by me. I go straight for the stock formula of

Leading lady is engaged to a guy who is totally and obviously wrong for her, OR has been burned once and has resolved to never. get. involved again.....

Meets leading man and they hit it off....

One or the other of them have a deep dark secret which threatens to break them up, or some slapstick comedic circumstances lead to hilarious misunderstandings which threaten to break them up....

it gets resolved and they live happily ever after....

I can take or leave the explicit bedroom scenes, but I do tend to prefer "implied"....
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It fits the genre, no?
"Young career woman gets a promotion and discovers her new deputy wanted her position and resents her, her staff doubts her competence, and her immediate superior is the entitled jerk who tried to rape her when they were students and saddles her with an impossible job before going on vacation."
Bet Weber never realized he invented the chick lit genre.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #20
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
A lot of that tends to whiz right by me. I go straight for the stock formula of

Leading lady is engaged to a guy who is totally and obviously wrong for her, OR has been burned once and has resolved to never. get. involved again.....

Meets leading man and they hit it off....

One or the other of them have a deep dark secret which threatens to break them up, or some slapstick comedic circumstances lead to hilarious misunderstandings which threaten to break them up....

it gets resolved and they live happily ever after....

I can take or leave the explicit bedroom scenes, but I do tend to prefer "implied"....
No, this is the stock formula of romance novels: the leading lady finds out that her life isn't complete without Mr. Right. In chick lit the leading lady's life is complete as long as she can still shop for shoes. If she knew before the story starts that shopping makes her happy, then it's just a matter of having enough money for it. If she didn't know, then she finds out.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #21
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, this is the stock formula of romance novels: the leading lady finds out that her life isn't complete without Mr. Right. In chick lit the leading lady's life is complete as long as she can still shop for shoes. If she knew before the story starts that shopping makes her happy, then it's just a matter of having enough money for it. If she didn't know, then she finds out.
I must be confused about the ranges that fit. I read "Confessions of a shopaholic" and was mildly amused by all the crap this girl was buying, and enjoyed it for what it was. I found the sequels, however, extremely painful to get through. It was all the same exact story, only with a sister, a baby, a husband, yada yada....

But the definition of "romance novels without the sex" I tend to find a lot of - Maybe all the shopping stuff whizzes by me because that's not something I am drawn to in my real life (I'm not a fashion connoisseur, and I buy one pair of sneakers every 3-4 years.)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #22
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
So does this mean chick lit is always contemporary? Or can there be such a thing as historical chick lit?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Romance is a story in which two people engage in courting activities and by the end of the story have fallen in love and maintain a relationship. Often they end in marriage and/or some other type of permanent bond.

Chick lit is focused on a woman's life and whatever happens in said life. Shopping is often included, lol, but doesn't have to be there. This woman is often single.

As women tend to fall in love, you can find romance like things happening in chick-lit. BUT...romance - as it's own genre - focuses on the relationship being built between two (or more) people. This genre ends with what is called a HEA or Happily Ever After. Occasionally you get a HFN or Happy for Now ending, but the end result is the same.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
So does this mean chick lit is always contemporary? Or can there be such a thing as historical chick lit?
If think that for chick lit the reader is supposed to identify more with the main character than other genres.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Chick Lit promises to be bright and colorful.

In the end Chick Lit is hard to chew and loses its flavor quickly.

Just let it die already...
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #26
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
I consider Pride and Prejudice to be Chick-Lit.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #27
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I consider Pride and Prejudice to be Chick-Lit.
On reviewer on Amazon called it the "Bridget Jones of the 18th Century". At least the reviewer knew which one came first, if not quite understanding the difference between a copy and an original.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Here is a quote:

Many readers are indeed turned off by the implicit marketing message. “It’s sort of like, admit it ladies, it’s all a ruse, this professional thing. The prince and the ring are really out there,” says one. That underlying sexism in packaging still grates . .

This article grates! It is like Science Fiction - we know it isn't real, but it is fun to read anyway. I read the tax code and cases all day long - I resent that anyone thinks they can look down on me because of what I read on the train. I admit, I read a lot more of this now that I have an ereader. The covers are just crazy! I find it difficult to go to sleep reading anything heavy - but I fall right off when I am reading a romance. Doesn't tax my brain in the least. Pure fluff. And my husband has benefited from some of the more explicit parts (can I get banned for this?)
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #29
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
I never figured out exactly what constituted chick lit. Oh well.
And now you have missed it!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #30
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
I never figured out exactly what constituted chick lit. Oh well.
You're obviously not changing the future course of your cultural life in a bid to find out more.

What will you miss.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote