Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
fenric10
fenric10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Aldiko/ADE DRM Issues 'Unable to authorise Device'

Hi,

I've installed Aldiko to read a Waterstones-bought DRM-ed book.

I have Adobe Digital Editions installed, but when I try to sign in to ADE on the Vox, it contacts the server and just says 'Unable to authorise device'.

I've checked my ADE details and they're correct, and I've made sure that both the Vox and ADE are set to the same time zone etc.

I can't see any other reason for the device not to authorise.

Any help to solve this would be very much appreciated.

Mark
fenric10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I use Overdrive not Aldiko, but I used the app on my Vox, not ADE on my computer, to authorize my device to read library books. Does Aldiko have an option to set the Adobe ID?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
fenric10

Hi,

'Does Aldiko have an option to set the Adobe ID? '

Yes, sorry, should have mentioned that bit!

I enter my ADE details and that's when I get the unable to authorise message.

Does Overdrive just allow reading of DRM-ed books, or is there more to it?

Thanks for replying by the way!

Mark
Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenric10 View Post
Mark
What eReader does Waterstones say you should use for their books?
Is there a link on their website to download it?

On my Vox I use Overdrive too, but just for library books, ePubs mostly.
On the PC I use Calibre, which apparently has plugins available from Apprentice Alf which remove the DRM.

Update:
I assume you've seen their page on how to download to ADE
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...ads/200001137/

Last edited by Laridae; 02-02-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added link
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
fenric10

Hi,

Waterstones don't specify an ereader as far as I can see, but it must be downloaded via ADE, which I've installed and used successfully before, when I used a Sony PRS-505.

I've tried Apprentice Alf's Calibre plug-ins, and it didn't remove the DRM. Might have to try it again.

Mark
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenric10 View Post
Hi,

I have Adobe Digital Editions installed, but when I try to sign in to ADE on the Vox, it contacts the server and just says 'Unable to authorise device'.

I've checked my ADE details and they're correct, and I've made sure that both the Vox and ADE are set to the same time zone etc.

I can't see any other reason for the device not to authorise.

Any help to solve this would be very much appreciated.

Mark
Adobe Digital Editions is a program for pc/mac. There is no "ADE on the Vox". I assume you are talking about entering your Adobe ID in Aldiko.

One possibility is that there is a limit on the number of devices you can authorize for a single Adobe ID (maybe 5?). Is it possible you have hit this limit?

[edit]: Oh yeah, the vox is definitely not compatible with ADE so if you are trying to transfer the book from your pc to the vox using ADE, that ain't gonna happen.

Last edited by mr_nobody; 02-02-2012 at 09:21 AM.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
fenric10

'Oh yeah, the vox is definitely not compatible with ADE so if you are trying to transfer the book from your pc to the vox using ADE, that ain't gonna happen.'

Thanks, at least that's a definitive answer on that, and will stop me wasting my time trying to get it to authorise the device. And yes, I did mean entering my Adobe ID in Aldiko!

So, what are my options?

Use another app to read the book on my Vox (Overdrive?)
Find a way to remove the DRM
Is there a way to use Aldiko to read the book without it requesting my Adobe ID?

Thanks for all the replies so far, very much appreciated.

Mark
Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I read DRM'd books on my Vox using Aldiko and had no problem authorising DRM books with my ADE username and password in the Settings.
So you may have too many devices authorized?
Here is info from the ADE forum about how to reset the number of devices; it basically involves deleting ADE from your computer, clearing all the ADE folders and then re-installing to start your device count from zero again.
Quote from the forum:
As for the number of devices.... I think ADE's statement here is
misleading, but the crux if the issue is how that device count is kept.
It's not reset if you drop a device or reinstall ADE, which I think it
should be. In order to clean it out, you can uninstall the software on your
Windows PC, and delete any remaining folders under Adobe Digital Editions,
then EMPTY THE TRASH. That cleans out your registry as well as the hard
disk of any files that Adobe might look for when it's installing itself.
(Technically, it appears ADE checks for previous versions and if it finds
one, then it preserves certain keyfiles including the one that holds the
attached device count).

If you go for the deletion route, you should go into your Digital Editions
folder and move all of the books, pdf's, etc. that are in there to another
folder somewhere else. You can move them back after reinstalling ADE, but
you will have to add them back to the library one at a time

Last edited by Cdesja5; 02-02-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
fenric10

Thanks Cdesja5,

I'll give that a try as well.

Mark
Old 02-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Calibre has to be re-started...and the book deleted and added again if it was in Calibre before.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
fenric10

Thanks for all the replies - now sorted.

Used 'I heart cabbages' advice here -

http://i-u2665-cabbages.blogspot.com...-for-epub.html

- To remove the DRM, and the book loaded perfectly. I can recommend this method, as it was very easy and completely painless.

And just to reiterate, I only removed the DRM from a book I purchased from Waterstones!

Thanks,

Mark