Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Can't download MobileRead books...

I've put this on Calibre, but I've had no luck - perhaps some kind Sony soul will help me, as it concerns my 650 . I'd be most grateful.
I'm running XP, to a PRS650.
I've got 2 MobileRead books, "Land That Time Forgot" & "Tarzan v.1" , both BBeB.
They've downloaded to my D/load panel ok, so I open Calibre.
When I R/click on either, I dn't get "Open containing folder", when I could then drag and drop into Calibre Library.
And I get no luck trying to drag & drop straight into Library.
If I hit "Get books" it takes me to KP4C, where they aren't anyway !

I don't have any luck with SonyReader either, although I have got them into Library there - but the files simply won't transfer, "status" just keeps whizzing around....
I've d/loaded BBeB books before OK.

Any offers/suggestions please - I expect it'll be my non-tech capabilities again, it usually is!
carpetmojo is online now Add to carpetmojo's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'll download one and see how it goes....

FYI, when you click the Add Books button in Calibre, it will default to the last folder you imported a book from. You will need to navigate to the folder your new download is in.

eta: I do see ePub versions of both of these books on MobileRead.

eta2: downloaded the LRF and opened it in Calibre with no problem.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 08-28-2011 at 11:58 AM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Red face

Thanks Pidgeon - firstly, thanks for the help, but I am the original tech-dunce, so please be gentle with me !

I have both books in my "Downloads" panel [Windows, tools, downloads, that panel] so they've reached me, in BBeB.
I have tried opening Calibre, then "downloads", then tried to drag over to Calibre.
I can't rt click and "open containing folder" and then drag/drop, which is what I usually do, as the option isn't highlighted. What I have is "Copy download link" which I don't have the slightest clue does really !

Do I need to move the d/loads to My Docs or something ?

Sorry to be so dim, but as you can see, I ain't a tech whiz at all......

Last edited by carpetmojo; 08-29-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
alroy
Enthusiast
alroy began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Opus/Pocket Pro/eSlick/Libre Pro
I find that when I download books from this web site, the book is not transferred into my calibre library. Instead it ends up in the temp folder. What I do is open the temp folder copy and paste into my calibre library folder. Once there I can add the book to Calibre. Then I hook up my Sony 350 and do the transfer.
alroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I suggest you don't drag and drop books into your Calibre Library. Use Caliobre's "Add book" function, navigate to the folder where the download is and add it. Calibre will then put it where it wants it, and also keep track of it.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Add Books button is on the top/left of the Calibre screen.

When you click it, by default it will go to the last folder it was in.

From there you will need to navigate to your Downloads folder, where you say the books are now.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The Add Books button is on the top/left of the Calibre screen.

When you click it, by default it will go to the last folder it was in.

From there you will need to navigate to your Downloads folder, where you say the books are now.
Personally I find it much easier to just drag and drop the book from a Windows Explorer window onto Calibre. But either way should work the same.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally I find it much easier to just drag and drop the book from a Windows Explorer window onto Calibre. But either way should work the same.
I have found that sometimes that doesn't work. I don't know if it's a format issue, or what. In the original post, the OP said that dragging and dropping didn't work for these two books.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I have found that sometimes that doesn't work. I don't know if it's a format issue, or what. In the original post, the OP said that dragging and dropping didn't work for these two books.
From reading his post, I think he was trying to drag from the web browser, rather than from Windows Explorer. But whatever works - either approach is equally good.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard

OK guys - many thanks for your patience, without a tech-savvy son in the house anymore I struggle sometimes, it's the terminology that's usually the problem [for me].
By Downloads Panel, I should probably say Windows download window [headed Downloads]. I super-impose that on the Calibre site, then when I drag and drop over to Calibre, nothing happens.
This happens on Reader Library as well, both titles are in the pre-library list, when I try to drag from the list to Library, pre- dragging to reader to finally transfer it, nothing happens.

What I would normally do is right click on the downloaded book in the download window, cilck on Open containing folder, which opens the Temp folder, with book in, highlighted, and drag from there and drop into Calibre or Reader. However, I cannot "Open containing folder" as it isn't offered as a viable option [not in bold type].
The last folder I used in Calibre is K4PC, and when I open/navigate to the source options on the left [My Docs/my computer etc..] the downloads aren't anywhere, even in downloads !
The one I can't figure is why it won't work in Reader, when the damn things are in it in the first stage of transfering.
I know it's me somehow, but this is the first time I haven't been able to work it out.
Perhaps I should cancel all and start again, see if that breaks a log-jam somewhere.
Or find other versions - but that wouldn't solve the problem I seem to have.
I have successfully d/loaded something from K4PC via Calibre , if you're with me, with no trouble, since this cropped up....
Sorry to be a pain.

Last edited by carpetmojo; 08-29-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:37 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
For what it's worth the method I stumbled on is:
- On the calibre window click on the red Add Books option in the top left hand corner
- Navigate to whatever folder the ebooks I want to add are in
- Double click on the ebook I want to add to the library - I do them one at a time, on the principle of simple things for simple people.

That's all, and it's always worked for me.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:41 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Carpetmojo's problem appears to be that he doesn't actually know what folder the books are in. Once he discovers that, opening an Explorer window, navigating to that folder, and then simply dragging the books from there onto Calibre should work absolutely fine.

Carpet - what browser are you using to download your books?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I changed my Internet download settings for all downloaded files to go to my desktop. Then from there I can just put them wherever I want. In the case of books, I'll download the book, then open Calibre and do "Add Books." Then I just have to add the books from the desktop and it eliminates searching my computer for the folder they're in. Since Calibre copies the book into its own library folder, I then delete the books from my desktop. It sounds like this kind of system might make your life a bit easier also.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:31 AM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard

Bit delayed.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Carpetmojo's problem appears to be that he doesn't actually know what folder the books are in. Once he discovers that, opening an Explorer window, navigating to that folder, and then simply dragging the books from there onto Calibre should work absolutely fine.
Carpet - what browser are you using to download your books?
Sorry Harry - got distracted by work, damn it................
I'm using Firefox - not the latest, don't trust it yet...........

Once it is there in my downloads Window, and right click on it, I only get the "Copy download link" option, not "Open containing folder" one. Clicking this option takes me to the Temp folder, where the book/download is highlighted, so even I can see it [!] and there I usually drag & drop to Calibre - or, indeed, Reader.
That's the really strange thing - there it is in Reader, but I can't get it any further. [Things likethat are why I'd really like to master Calibre]
Old 09-02-2011, 04:50 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It sounds like you have Firefox set to automatically open the eBook instead of actually saving it.

In Firefox, go to Options | General and change the settings. Under Downloads, You want "Show the Downloads window when downloading a file" and "Always ask me where to save files" checked. The rest unchecked.

When the requester pops up, you want Save File checked. Then click OK. Another requester will pop up asking where to save the file.

If for some reason you have FireFox set to automatically download ePub to ADE, you'll need to fix this by going to Options | Applications, finding the application type for ePub and changing the action to Always Ask.

I hope this helps.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote