Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Rjl2001
Enthusiast
Rjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic Wifi, Nook Color (rooted)
restoring micro SD card to full capacity

OK, I had rooted my NC with Phiremod quite a few months ago and loved it and had almost no problems, even got netflix and hulu working on it somehow. Well out of the blue a couple weeks ago the device would get stuck on bootup and quit working. Finally a few weeks later after hours of reading and trying stuff I got it working with the stock 1.2.0 yesterday. However, I'm left with two different micro SD cards now that do not show their full capacity when in a computer. I'm guessing it has something to do with having loaded some .img or autonooter files or something onto them. But even in windows explorer if I go to format card I have a 16gb card that shows the card as being less than 1gb. Also have a 1gb card that shows up after formatting as being 39mb. Any ideas how I can format these cards and use them at their original capacity?
Rjl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Noob Saibot
Noob Saibot began at the beginning.

Device: nookColor
sdformatter should do exactly what you want (be sure to back up any data on the card first)
http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/
Noob Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'd like to know whether sdformatter does the job. I suspect it may face the same limitation as Windows itself: only seeing the card's first partition (in the case of a ROM-on-SD or CWM card, a very small boot partition).

The simplest solution for me after trial and error was to use the graphical 'slider' interface in EASEUS Partition Master (free) to delete all partitions except the large storage partition and then drag the ends of that partition to take up the unallocated space.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
JonnyG
JonnyG began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Not sure if I am reading my NC correctly in looking for how much free space on my SD card. The NC shows 5.88 GB total space on my SD card but I have a 16 GB card. (Running CM7 nightly 103)

Here is what I did:
1) saved image of my 8 GB card from NC #1 (my wife's) using windisk32 to my PC

2) copied that image to my 16 GB card for my NC#2 (my daughters) again using windisk32

3) Using EASUS I "dragged the last open formatted" partition together with the very last unused partition and they successfully merged for the 16 GB card

4) Thought I was good to go until I looked at the NC in the settings area for the free space on the NC#2 with the 16GB card and it shows the same free space as my NC#1 with the 8GB card

The NC functions correctly but why does the SD free space setting show what it does?
JonnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
The NC functions correctly but why does the SD free space setting show what it does?
You apparently did not complete step #3 completely successfully. I have done similar operations with different tools and the recovered unpartitioned space is recovered just as expected. I am not saying that this is what went wrong for you, but the error that I have occasionally made is to forget to write out the new partitioning information after changing it.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
robryb
robryb began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
Chances are that your problem is that you have a partition that Windows can't see (it could also be multiple partitions). That partition has the bulk of your SD card space.

Find a tool called EASEUS and download the free (home) version. Use it very carefully. The main thing is to be sure that you are working with the SD card, not a disk drive!

Read directions carefully and know what you are doing before you do it. I will give you the approximate steps, but do read the help pages. When you create the new partition, all of your old data will be gone.

You need to start EASEUS and select the SD drive. Right click on the SD drive and select the menu option to delete all partitions on the SD drive. Finally, select "Apply".

Once the partition is gone you will have to restart EASEUS. Right click on the SD card within EASEUS and select "Create partition". Check the parameters to ensure that the partition will consume all available space. When the partition is created, it will consist of all of your missing space.

One weird thing was that EASEUS abandoned something like 15 MB of space on the SD card, but I don't care. I will never miss it.

robryb

Last edited by robryb; 01-23-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Added a warning.
robryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Actually, since this thread was last active in July, I've found that SDFormatter generally does the trick.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote