Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-13-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
iRex iliad first preview

For those of you who have spent the last few days in an isolation chamber, the iRex iLiad e-book reader is supposed to come out very soon and British epaper.org.uk apparently got their hands already on a preview unit. Alas, you need to e-mail them (info at afaics dot net) if you want to receive a copy of the preview. We'll let you know once we get it!

Related: Sony Reader vs. iRex Iliad e-book reader, iRex iLiad reader too slow for "live" websites, iRex Iliad will be available for around 400 Euro
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the info. I contacted them as well and am still awaiting a reply.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

still waiting..damn...what are they doing?
was it a hoax..nah...not much sense in that...
Old 03-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Why couldn't they just publish the preview on their site?
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:31 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
So far I haven't heard back from them either.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I just sent an email to the marketing guy in charge of the site asking what's going on...
In addition to requesting the review I also did the "epaper questionnaire" on the afaics.com website (the same people that run the epaper.org.uk site) and have not received anything from there either...

Very strange company I must say...
Old 03-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Well they updated their contact e-mail address! So if you're still waiting, you may as well want to try the updated address:

Peter dot setterington at afaics dot net
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I think I actually sent an email there and even tried to phone them...guess what...no one answers...only a tape on the other end...I guess they're not in at the moment...maybe on a convention somewhere or something like that...I'll keep trying.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

The review just arrived...reading now...
Old 03-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #10
violineb
violineb began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 3100 :(
is it aloud to post it online? I'm too lazy to email and wait an eternity.
violineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:06 PM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I'm not sure...but emailing them is no prob...the delay was apparently due to a mail-server problem...should work now.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #12
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

short version:

some good new, some bad news, price given as 649Euro...wlan only for IDS.

If it weren't for the price I'd buy it straight away (as soon as available).
For 649Euro it's a bit too heavy...I'm not sure whether i'm willing to pay that price.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
iRex is targeting businesses and you see this reflected in the features and the price.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #14
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

They apparently could not test the touchscreen interface because it was not fully implemented yet...at least the "drawing" part was not...that does not really sound like a product that is about to launch in 2-4 weeks...
and apparently has launched in some form in china...
Old 03-15-2006, 01:27 AM   #15
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
649eu?? That would be like $700~$800?? There goes my dreams ...

Maybe I'll get a Nokia 770 + BT keyboard + extra battery pack and still come in below $500. *sigh* ... I see a few future headlines already ...

"iLiad start off to lurkwarm response"
"iRex still positive in having a strong quarter to end 2006"
"iRex fails to meet analyst's expectations"
"Will iLiad make it this time (2007)"
"iRex officials admit to overproduction of iliad units"
"Consumers chose Sony Reader over iLiad's superior specs"

ok, I think I should stop ... ... *sigh* ... what a sad day. It's bad enough that UMPC will very likely only retail in the high $800 or more (Samsung's UMPC will retail for over $1k), and that its battery life will only be 2.5 ~ 3hrs which is paltry for such a tiny MOBILE device! And now iLiad is going to retail at such a high price ... aye aye aye
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote