Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-02-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Something special about MobiPocket folder?

Until recently, I've been uploading all my MobiPocket books to the "Books/MobiPocket folder on the iLiad. When I read the books from that folder, nothing "happens" to the original file - it just stays in that same folder.

Recently, though, in order to attempt to organize my books a little, I've created some additional folders under "Books" and started uploading my books to those - eg "Books/SF", "Books/Crime", etc. What I've found with these is that when I open a MobiPocket book in one of these folders, the iLiad creates a separate "sub-folder" for that book and copies the book itself, together with a few other files, into that folder. You don't see these additional folders when you browse the file system on the iLiad itself, but you do when you look at it over USB.

I was just wondering what was "different" about the original Mobipocket folder? It is something to do with the various "XML" files that are in there?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:43 AM   #2
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
From my investigations I think that the Internal/Books/Mobipocket folder is where the Mobipocket desktop software will put books. I deleted it on my iLiad and it automagically reappeared when I next rebooted!

All the Mobipocket format books I have get put into a dircetory (of the same name) with the prc file and a manifext.xml in the directory when they are first opened.
The manifest file allows the iLiad to store the name of the book and author in a file that is much quicker to read than the prc. I believe it also stores your current position and reader settings for that book in the manifest file. Also, for fun, if you have a cover image for the book, put it in the same directory and edit the manifest.xml file to add an <image> tag in the <y-metadata> section like this:

<package>
<metadata>
<dc-metadata>
... stuff ...
</dc-metadata>
<y-metadata>
<image>filename.png</image>
... more stuff ...
</y-metadata>
</metadata>
<directory>
<content>.</content>
</directory>
</package>

This will then use the specified image for the icon in content lister.
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocelet View Post
The manifest file allows the iLiad to store the name of the book and author in a file that is much quicker to read than the prc. I believe it also stores your current position and reader settings for that book in the manifest file.
The position, at least, is stored in the ".mbp" file that gets created when you first open the book. You'll find that if you delete that file and then re-open the book, you'll be back at the start of it again.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:15 AM   #4
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
i dont know about there being any special properties to the mobipocket folder, however DRM files must be downloaded thru the mobipocket software to work. i then have series of folders within the original mobipocket folder which i move books to. this works well and all my books are easy to locate an seem to work well. I have noticed the iliads tendency to create folders wit other formats such as PDFs tho.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
i dont know about there being any special properties to the mobipocket folder, however DRM files must be downloaded thru the mobipocket software to work.
No, that's not the case at all. I've purchased a number of DRM'd files direct from the Fictionwise web site. As long as you enter the MobiPocket ID of the iLiad on the web site it all works just fine - I just manually download my books from Fictionwise and copy them to the iLiad via the USB link.
Advert
Old 09-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Bert
Enthusiast
Bert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with others

Device: iRex iLiad, PRS-600
One other thing: This manifest.xml file can be used to add a title, description and icon to all file types. Some file types (like mobipocket and pdf) add other parameters to the manifest file.
It is even possible to add an icon & description to a filder (just like the mobipocket folder).

Some time ago I wrote a Java app which creates/edits these manifests automatically; You can find it here.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote