Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #46
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
You're kidding!

Eewww.....

You're not calling this 'food', are you?
Well, yes, for certain values of "food", mostly found on the North American continent, between Canada and Mexico. Not, apparently in Hawaii.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #47
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The phrase "politically correct" was popularized by people who wanted to dismiss accusations that they were being offensive. It contains the assumption that being considerate of people's identity and history, and changing your speech to show that awareness, is a form of censorship.

I don't expect people to keep up with every issue involving discrimination or oppression, or to understand all the nuances of cultural appropriation and unthinking prejudice. Most people try to be decent to each other, even if they step on each others' toes from time to time. But all too often, I see the phrase "I'm not PC" used as a euphemism for "I'm going to be a rude, arrogant jerk, and anyone who doesn't like it is a spineless wimp who caves into peer pressure."

At best, it comes off as, "I'm going to ignore any claims that I'm contributing to racism, sexism, or any other form of institutional discrimination." And really? Nobody's that perfect.
Very good post! Bill Mahar notwithstanding, much of what is derided these days as "Political Correctness" was in former days known as good, old-fashioned common courtesy and consideration of others.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-19-2010 at 05:36 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #48
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Yes! It is time for the MobileRead community to end the tyranny of the Cheez Collective. No more shall we tolerate them infectng our threads, clogging our arteries, their threats of assimilation. MobileRead, the time is now! Rise up against the Collective and CUT THE CHEESE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I concur!!!

(chants)
CUT THE CHEESE!!!
CUT THE CHEESE!!!
CUT THE CHEESE!!!
You will be pleased to know that—as per your suggestion—I did just that!

... into several slices, actually!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #49
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Is that why you are holding your stomach in your avatar?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #50
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Is that why you are holding your stomach in your avatar?
I'm nursing my sore knuckles after walloping the bully on the beach!
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #51
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Well, yes, for certain values of "food", mostly found on the North American continent, between Canada and Mexico. Not, apparently in Hawaii.
Ah! It's a local delicacy, I understand.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #52
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Local, yes. Delicacy....no.
It's a bright orange compound related to plumbing sealant that is produced in a lab. It's not fit for human consumption. It's cheese for people who think the proper spelling of the word is "cheez". It's All American suicide by stupidity.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #53
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's a bright orange compound related to plumbing sealant that is produced in a lab. It's not fit for human consumption. It's cheese for people who think the proper spelling of the word is "cheez". It's All American suicide by stupidity.
Sorry. I should have said "delicacy", not delicacy.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #54
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
they don't need it they live on SPam *gag*

Quote:
Sorry. I should have said "delicacy", not delicacy.
you don't want to know, run away, far far away
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #55
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
I can attest to the fact that Hawaiian kitties love it, but then they grow up and get fickle (or smarter than that) and won't touch it again.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #56
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
hey I like spam.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #57
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
they don't need it they live on SPam *gag*

you don't want to know, run away, far far away
Spam crossed my mind too when Hawaii'i was mentioned. I hope it's a stereotype.

As for running away... I know. But I am already so far away that some people may find some of the traditional dishes of my country too strange Even if it's actually whole foods and not "food products" like "cheez"
Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #58
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Spam crossed my mind too when Hawaii'i was mentioned. I hope it's a stereotype.
Nope, it's not a stereotype we (they, I hate the stuff) consume more Spam per capita here than anywhere else in the world, except maybe Guam. But only our kitties eat Easy Cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In the United States, Spam is quite popular, but is sometimes associated with economic hardship, due to its relatively low cost.

The residents of the state of Hawaii and the territories of Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) consume the most Spam per capita in the United States. On average, each person on Guam consumes 16 tins of Spam each year and the numbers at least equal this in the CNMI. Guam, Hawaii, and Saipan, the CNMI's principal island, have the only McDonald's restaurants that feature Spam on the menu. Burger King, in Hawaii, began serving Spam in 2007 on its menu to compete with the local McDonald's chains. In Hawaii, Spam is so popular it is sometimes dubbed "The Hawaiian Steak". One popular Spam dish in Hawaii is Spam musubi, in which cooked Spam is combined with rice and nori seaweed and classified as onigiri.

Last edited by wodin; 03-19-2010 at 08:36 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #59
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
hey I like spam.
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAMMITY SPAM!!!
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #60
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Nope, it's not a stereotype we (they, I hate the stuff) consume more Spam per capita here than anywhere else in the world, except maybe Guam. But only our kitties eat Easy Cheese!
Kitties are not old enough to know better!

As for spam; I'd much rather have blood sausage than spam. At least I know what goes into it. Spam is a kind if mystery meat in comparison.