Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #16
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
It's a pretty exciting technology - color e-ink which is readable in sunlight.

I wonder how it will go in terms of battery life though, we would have to assume color tech takes more power? I am suprised Amazon hasn't made any announcements yet about the direction of the new kindles. If they don't announce anything before the release of the iPad I will be shocked. The iPad will eat their Kindle DX sales up I think.
It's not e-ink (that's a brand), and color doesn't take any more power because it is not using filters to produce different colors, it's simply altering the wavelength of reflected light. It's really quite brilliant in it's simplicity.
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
While the resolution of the screen is good, the contrast looks low and the colors look washed out, similar to other attempts at color. Lets hope they improve it because as it stands, it looks worse than e-ink in terms of contrast and worse than the ipad in terms of color saturation.
With all the iPad-like devices on the horizon, what price can these color ebook readers command? It's going to be hard to overcome the "Well, for $500 I can get an iPad" mentality. I think something more than long battery life has to be an incentive. People are already comfortable charging their laptop every night and cell phone every other day perhaps.

Last edited by SCION; 02-16-2010 at 09:35 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #18
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Re the Mirasol technology and the cost, battery life aspects, etc., I have about 3 blog articles about that, starting back in November, and then in January with the rather strong hints about Amazon, coming from Qualcom reps.

See http://bit.ly/kmirasol

Taken from articles online, there are explanations of the technology.

I agree that the colors are, as Priya G. of Wired said, "subdued" and the contrast not sparkling, but for something hand-held and not as large as the iPad to carry outside while shopping etc., and which has 3G connections for no added cost if they continue that, it'd be a good alternative for the ones who have wanted color and video.

For one thing it has the advantages of e-Ink for effect on the eyes. It should not cost much more than an e-ink model, and sessions would last a lot longer than those using an LCD-type screen.

Here's a photo that shows a more attractive kind of ivory background and a bit more contrast.
http://bit.ly/mirasol_col

People at the CES show were wow'd by it, so it may look better than the other pics
showed.

Last edited by andrys; 02-16-2010 at 10:21 PM.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #19
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Non techies and techies. I mean it's only $10 more for the lower model and does a lot more.
That's the take-away Apple wants you to remember -- but they don't honour that at the till.

Amazon's Kindle DX is complete at $489 -- including 3G wireless. It has enough memory on board to do what it's designed to do.

Apple's iPad is $499 -- but the 3G model is $629. And that's the 16 GB onboard memory. The keyboard docking station is extra. Want more memory? If you are locally storing video, for example, you'll want the 32 or 64 GB models. Even if you don't want 3G with 64 GB ($829), the 3G itself isn't free. 500 MB costs $15/mth ... hardly enough for a video surfer but maybe enough for e-books; unlimited is $30/mth.

And never mind critical day-to-day issues like 10 hr battery life vs 1 or 2 weeks; or the ability to enjoy the device outdoors in sunlight.

So what Apple claims is a $10 difference ... is at least $140 more for the most basic 3G and nearly $200 more every year for basic wireless. Yes, of course, the device "does more" ... but at a starting price of 50% more in the first year.

It comes down to: Kindle 2 at $259; Kindle DX at $480 or Apple iPad 16 GB/500 MB 3G wireless monthly for $809 in the first year. Not everyone needs a Rolls.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 AM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
That's the take-away Apple wants you to remember -- but they don't honour that at the till.

Amazon's Kindle DX is complete at $489 -- including 3G wireless. It has enough memory on board to do what it's designed to do.

Apple's iPad is $499 -- but the 3G model is $629. And that's the 16 GB onboard memory. The keyboard docking station is extra. Want more memory? If you are locally storing video, for example, you'll want the 32 or 64 GB models. Even if you don't want 3G with 64 GB ($829), the 3G itself isn't free. 500 MB costs $15/mth ... hardly enough for a video surfer but maybe enough for e-books; unlimited is $30/mth.

And never mind critical day-to-day issues like 10 hr battery life vs 1 or 2 weeks; or the ability to enjoy the device outdoors in sunlight.

So what Apple claims is a $10 difference ... is at least $140 more for the most basic 3G and nearly $200 more every year for basic wireless. Yes, of course, the device "does more" ... but at a starting price of 50% more in the first year.

It comes down to: Kindle 2 at $259; Kindle DX at $480 or Apple iPad 16 GB/500 MB 3G wireless monthly for $809 in the first year. Not everyone needs a Rolls.
The iPad provides a totally different experience than the Kindle. I doubt if those pondering the purchase of an iPad are doing a double-take at the Kindle DX. But I think many considering the Kindle DX (or any other high priced large screen dedicated ebook reader) will take pause to educate themselves on other devices (of similar size) that allow reading pdf files, web browsing, and more. I say this, with the assumption that current prices drop slightly (not markedly) for the Kindles due to the release of the iPad.

Last edited by SCION; 02-17-2010 at 12:19 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 01:10 AM   #21
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post

Regarding 3G:

I don't give a crap about 3G, I'm always by WiFi pretty much, so I wouldn't get the 3G model. And I'll never have 3G or other cellular data plan period. Just no need for it as I'm so seldomly away from wifi when I need internet access.

It's a nice free bonus on my Kindle, but it's no big deal to drag books over via USB either. I'm always dragging and dropping files on to mp3 players, flash drives, external hard drives etc. so no biggie. The wifi played very little role in my decision to buy a K1.

Also, the Kindle 3G is gimped and pretty useless for anything but putting books on there. It's super slow and e-ink is worthless for the internet. So it's kind of silly to act like 3G on the Kindle is any great feature. It's convenient for getting books on the device, and that's it. And that's not a big deal since most people are used to dragging and dropping files via USB. Just a nice plus for the computer illiterate who want an e-reader I guess.

Regarding Memory:

16GB would be plenty of memory for what I'd use a tablet for--reading and marking up PDFs and word docs and books. Light web browsing etc. And the Kindles have even less memory (and other than K1 can't be expanded) so I'm not sure the point of that comparison.

I also see no use for a keyboard on a tablet. Just like the Keyboard on my Kindle is useless--I do all my shopping on a PC since the Kindle 3G and e-ink is painfully slow for browsing the store. I'll use a PC anytime I need to type something.

Quote:
As long as device lasts me a day of typical use, I couldn't care less about battery life. It can get plugged in every night or two just like my my cell phone. 10 hours would be fine for me.

I also don't read outdoors or in sunlight ever, so non-issue for me.

Quote:

Again, the 3G on the Kindle is free--but completely useless for anything but getting books on there, so it's silly to compare. With paying for 3G on the iPad you get full internet access.

And again, you're assuming people even need it. The iPad isn't something like a phone that most people would always have with them. It would be like a laptop--only leave the home or office if you're going on a trip or to the coffee shop etc. where you'll have WiFi if you need it.

Anyway, I don't plan on buying an iPad--I need a tablet with robust stylus mark up options. But had to respond to your silly anti-Apple rant.

For me, it would be $499 vs. $489 for a DX as the wifi only 16gb model would fit all my needs--if it was stylus based.

I'd go for the iPad in a heart beat. I'm not that enamored with my Kindle as I'm not an avid reader. Thus it stays by the night stand and gets read a few nights a week.

I'd get a lot more use out of a multimedia tablet that I could use for my work reading and document markup, internet, video, games, etc. etc.

You are right that not everyone needs a Rolls, but I'll take the Rolls over the Pinto when the price difference is so negligible every day of the week.

Again, if someone's an avid and reads nothing but straight text, and reads for hours on end etc and wants a big screen, then sure something like the DX is probably up their alley. But that's no reason to go spew biased non-sense about the iPad and other tablets that fit other peoples needs much better.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 02-17-2010 at 12:27 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #22
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
But I think many considering the Kindle DX (or any other high priced large screen dedicated ebook reader) will take pause to educate themselves on other devices (of similar size) that allow reading pdf files, web browsing, and more. I say this, with the assumption that current prices drop slightly (not markedly) for the Kindles due to the release of the iPad.

Exactly.

I was watching the Que announcement with a lot of interest as I really need something to read and mark up PDfs of scholarly journal articles etc.

But if fell flat on features and price. E-ink is just too slow and clunky for mark up, for the flipping through pages to find info that's necessary in academic reading/document work.

Honestly, my K1 will probably be my last e-ink device. I just don't read enough, or for long enough stretches, to really care about the benefits of e-ink. The cons out way the pros for me as the eye strain, battery life etc. just don't matter if you're just reading for 30-60 minutes here and there.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:04 AM   #23
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:35 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:25 AM   #24
qno
blank slate
qno began at the beginning.

Device: maybe edge??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
According to [URL="http://www.slashgear.com/qualcomm-mirasol-e-reader-coming-fall-2010-1574081/"] It is strongly believed that Amazon is their partner.
I sure hope this doesn't mean Amazon (or anybody) will get an exclusive deal on this technology. If it works as advertised, this is not an 'ereader' display, but a full-fledged display for any computer. Actually I think the concept of an ereader as "a computer that's pretty useless for anything but reading" is becoming obsolete.
qno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:37 AM   #25
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
While the resolution of the screen is good, the contrast looks low and the colors look washed out, similar to other attempts at color. Lets hope they improve it because as it stands, it looks worse than e-ink in terms of contrast and worse than the ipad in terms of color saturation.
I think what you just described there in LCD . TANSTAAFL I'm afraid.
Tradeoffs between the features of LCD and eInk will always be there.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:57 AM   #26
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Yup, Mirasol seems to be at a disadvantage with grayscales, and the quality of the reflected colors will depend quite a bit on the quality and intensity of the light source. We all saw how yellowed the display looked under the lighting at CES, and that is much more noticeable with a color screen than with a monochrome one.

In any event, it helps resolve one of the 2 big problems I had with E-Ink. Now there's probably only one big checkbox to fill:
  • Low power CHECK
  • Responsive CHECK
  • High Quality ?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 AM   #27
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
  • Low power CHECK
  • Responsive CHECK
  • High Quality ?
You mean High Quality colour fidelity? I don't think that will ever be too great. Since brightness and contrast settings adjustments are out it will have to be one size fits all.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #28
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
According to the article, Qualcomm also said that they wouldn't confirm who will be using their new screen, but they did say it would be paired with a capacitive touchscreen.
Meh. Colour is a take-it-or-leave-it for me (leaning heavily to "leave it" if the trade-off is lower B&W fidelity), but touchscreen is a deal-killer.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #29
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I am suprised Amazon hasn't made any announcements yet about the direction of the new kindles. If they don't announce anything before the release of the iPad I will be shocked. The iPad will eat their Kindle DX sales up I think.
I guess kindle lover dont move to ipad
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #30
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
With all the iPad-like devices on the horizon, what price can these color ebook readers command? It's going to be hard to overcome the "Well, for $500 I can get an iPad" mentality. I think something more than long battery life has to be an incentive. People are already comfortable charging their laptop every night and cell phone every other day perhaps.
Long battery life is the main incentive for me. I will not buy an iPad because I would have to recharge it too often. I don't think everyone is "comfortable" with having to charge devices every day or every few days--we just do not have any choice at the moment. Mirasol gives us that choice, and is readable outside too.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote