Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #91
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
There was a discussion on a mailing list I'm on a while. A list member had a friend with a Live Journal account. She had put up a satirical website poking fun at George W. Bush, and mentioned it in her LJ. Someone reading her Live Journal made an anonymous complaint to the Secret Service that she was threatening the President, and she got a visit from a couple of Secret Service agents. The agents were very professional and polite, had tea, looked at the site, agreed she was not illegal and no threat, and left.

She was a teenage girl, living at home with her family, about to graduate high school and go to college. Everyone was very freaked out about the visit.

I wondered what anyone expected. One of the jobs of the Secret Service is to protect the President. They are required to follow up on allegations like that, and to document the followup. They are paid to be paranoid and leave their sense of humor at home when they go to work. I felt constrained to point this out, and to make clear that it had nothing to do with the current administration. They would do the same on behalf of any seated President, because it was their job.

I didn't share the concern that the Secret Service visit was now on her record and would influence things like whether she got into the college of her choice. What record? Kept by whom? And looked at under what circumstances?

And I mourned the declining quality of education in the US. I knew the function of the Secret Service from Civics classes in Jr. High School, and could predict what would happen when a complaint was received. I was amazed at the folks who were surprised, and reserved my scorn for the idiot who made the complaint against her.

I have no use for the current administration, will cheer when they leave office, and will cross fingers the next one will do a better job (hard to imagine them doing a worse one), but I keep a sense of perspective about it all. People have, are, and will do all manner of things to get and hold power, but we aren't just this side of a police state yet.
______
Dennis
Heck ... I dated a Secret Service agent for about two years. It used to crack me up no end to see him standing behind Bush or Cheney ... looking so very official. And then he'd have to come home to me telling him that I thought the both of them were the spawn of the devil and that I fondly hoped they would go out hunting together and shoot each other in the face.

And no ... we didn't break up over that ... and yes, we are still good friends.

I also dated one of the top agents over at NCIS for a few years. Also used to see him guarding the evil twins when they would be in San Diego. Pretty much the same drill. Still good friends with him.

Although ... really, both of them were simply impressed that Laura Bush treated them really nicely, and Hillary Clinton not so much. I don't think they gave a hoot as to whether it was a Republican or a Democrat in the chair. They'd still take a bullet for the man ... or really for the man in the office.

Frankly, what really shocks me isn't that people from other countries do not have a clue about US Constitutional rights or laws ... why should they, after all .... but that so many people in the US have no idea about any of it. You would swear that most of them slept through high school civics. If you mention Nancy Pelosi, they go all vague on you, or ask you if she has a new album out ... and wasn't she on "Star Search" or "American Idol" a few years ago?? They're sure they heard the name.

Ouch ... ouch ... and again ... OUCH!!
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #92
silencer
silencer began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
It amazes me how those who come here as guests have the effrontry to criticize how this country is run. Its not for you to do so, anymore than it is right for me to criticize anything about your country. We don't need your sympathy, and you can take Obama keep him to help you out. Thats just one more problem we don't need.
It amazes me that Americans want our business so they don't lose their homes, yet if we travel there, they don't want us to complain about violations of the constitution that is supposed to protect anyone on american soil.

Your attitude needs adjusting. You want our money so you don't get handed over to China for not paying your bills? Then be a man and defend your constitution and your country instead of letting everyone else do it. That is the talk of a coward.

Last edited by silencer; 08-08-2008 at 11:04 PM.
silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #93
silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Actually Ricky did pass the LSAT and makes quite a good living as an attorney. Just sayin'
Standards in the USA must be lower. A first year law student would have presented a logical statement - instead we get the insults and misunderstanding of fundamental law.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #94
silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, let's see ... according to my LSAT scores, I was in the top 1% in the nation. I missed a total of six questions on the entire exam. However, in my defense, I was very ill that day, and so probably wasn't performing at my peak.

If you would like, I can post my law degree. Graduated in the top 5% of my class, cum laude, and was an editor on the International Law Journal.

So, judging by your statements here, I would say that you are really really walking into slander and libel territory. Or, I could be kind and just say that you must be an idiot.
Handled a lot of slander and libel cases have we?
I can lend you a legal dictionary so you can look up the meaning of those words.

No, I do not believe you practice law. You don't seem to have a working knowledge of it.
Say what you will on an internet forum, that doesn't mean we swallow it.
Oh, nice how you stay on topic too. I am done giving you any more attention. Now.. where is that block button?
Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #95
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencer View Post
Handled a lot of slander and libel cases have we?
I can lend you a legal dictionary so you can look up the meaning of those words.

No, I do not believe you practice law. You don't seem to have a working knowledge of it.
Say what you will on an internet forum, that doesn't mean we swallow it.
Oh, nice how you stay on topic too. I am done giving you any more attention. Now.. where is that block button?
Involved in one right now. Glad to hear you are blocking me .... I will do you the same favor.

Oh, and by the way .... California Bar Association Number 137863. Look it up, and choke on it.
Advert
Old 08-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #96
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Standards in the USA must be lower. A first year law student would have presented a logical statement - instead we get the insults and misunderstanding of fundamental law.
Apparently so ... after all, you became an expert on Constitutional Law after attending just one conference in DC. Gosh .... and all I have to show for several years of study is a JD degree, several awards (including an American Jurisprudence Award related to 4th Amendment issues), and a viable law practice.

Really, up until I "met" you, I had a lot more respect for Canadians. You really put paid to that.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #97
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
It amazes me that Americans want our business so they don't lose their homes, yet if we travel there, they don't want us to complain about violations of the constitution that is supposed to protect anyone on american soil.
You have got to be freaking kidding me!!! You think the US Constitution gives YOU rights??

Oh ... right .... so anyone who comes into the country on a visit must have the right to vote then. Gotcha.

Man ... you are clueless. Completely and absolutely clue-less.

Quote:
Your attitude needs adjusting. You want our money so you don't get handed over to China for not paying your bills? Then be a man and defend your constitution and your country instead of letting everyone else do it. That is the talk of a coward.
A little hard for me to be a "man" ... since I'm female and all. But, really, we don't need you to "defend" our Constitution. Since you have so little understanding of it ... I don't think the average American would want you "defending" our Constitution. I have no problem defending it .... I actually took an oath to protect and defend it. Shall we assume that you have done the same??

Big brave man ... hiding behind your screen name. Oh yeah .... real brave. Shows so much in the way of intestinal fortitude (yes ... I'll wait while you look it up).
Old 08-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #98
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Sorry, gang, but I really simply have to put "silencer" on my list of people who are just too weird to take seriously. So ... I'm not going to bother with his posts. I'm just finding myself laughing and wondering why anyone like that has survived to adulthood. It boggles the mind.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:19 PM   #99
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
About one minute's worth of Google search would have demonstrated you are mistaken. Ricky's resume is here.

Turn about is fair play. What are your legal qualifications?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #100
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
About one minute's worth of Google search would have demonstrated you are mistaken. Ricky's resume is here.

Turn about is fair play. What are your legal qualifications?
______
Dennis
Oh man .... I have GOT to update my address. I had no idea my resume with my old addy was still online. Oh and double erg ... that email address is REALLY old. No good anymore, I'm afraid.

But, Dennis ... he mentioned his legal qualifications. He went to an International Computer Law Conference right in the country's capitol city!! I mean .... RIGHT IN THE BIG CITY OF WASHINGTON DC!!

Golly gee .... doncha know that's gotta make him an expert on American law. Him actually travelling to the big city and all that.

Oh, yeah .... I almost forgot ... I went to the American Bar Association conference in Washington DC. Hmmmm .... I think that, and the law degree might just trump his conference.

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 08-08-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #101
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Oh man .... I have GOT to update my address. I had no idea my resume with my old addy was still online. Oh and double erg ... that email address is REALLY old. No good anymore, I'm afraid.
It was in the drawer in the desk in your office. Looks like you need to clean out the drawers and update your legal stationery...
______
Dennis
Old 08-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #102
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Ricky's resume is here.
Hey, she worked for Gray Cary Where.... I wrote the Payroll/HR software that they use. Although it says Ca, I think our contact was in NY... but I could be wrong.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #103
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
There was a discussion on a mailing list I'm on a while. A list member had a friend with a Live Journal account. She had put up a satirical website poking fun at George W. Bush, and mentioned it in her LJ. Someone reading her Live Journal made an anonymous complaint to the Secret Service that she was threatening the President, and she got a visit from a couple of Secret Service agents. The agents were very professional and polite, had tea, looked at the site, agreed she was not illegal and no threat, and left.

She was a teenage girl, living at home with her family, about to graduate high school and go to college. Everyone was very freaked out about the visit.

I wondered what anyone expected. One of the jobs of the Secret Service is to protect the President. They are required to follow up on allegations like that, and to document the followup. They are paid to be paranoid and leave their sense of humor at home when they go to work. I felt constrained to point this out, and to make clear that it had nothing to do with the current administration. They would do the same on behalf of any seated President, because it was their job.

I didn't share the concern that the Secret Service visit was now on her record and would influence things like whether she got into the college of her choice. What record? Kept by whom? And looked at under what circumstances?

And I mourned the declining quality of education in the US. I knew the function of the Secret Service from Civics classes in Jr. High School, and could predict what would happen when a complaint was received. I was amazed at the folks who were surprised, and reserved my scorn for the idiot who made the complaint against her.

I have no use for the current administration, will cheer when they leave office, and will cross fingers the next one will do a better job (hard to imagine them doing a worse one), but I keep a sense of perspective about it all. People have, are, and will do all manner of things to get and hold power, but we aren't just this side of a police state yet.
______
Dennis
I had a patient once threaten the President. Being that it was one of my patients and that the threat was purely from a psychotic stance, we didn't think it was serious, but the rules require that we report these things. The field officers who came to interview the patient were very polite and professional and after review decided that the threat level was extremely low, especially since the patient got better with meds.

One of the Secret Service guys kept snarfing cookies from the snack counter though. When you work in a Franciscan hospital, you have a good bakery.

They wouldn't show me their Uzi's either.

Last edited by pshrynk; 08-09-2008 at 09:24 AM.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #104
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
It was in the drawer in the desk in your office. Looks like you need to clean out the drawers and update your legal stationery...
______
Dennis
And that site ... as I recall ... is part of "Newton's Alley" which was the first web site I created for my cats (back then I only had two). That is the home of the "Weekly Caterwaul," which was a newspaper written by cats for cats. We only put out tweleve issues before it closed however.

Not too long after that site went up, I got email from friends that there were a couple of guys trying to find out who owned Newton's Alley, and could they give them my contact address (I guess they never looked in the drawer of my office for my email addy).

One guy was writing a book on "How to Write Killer Web Sites for Netscape" (or a title like that) for Que. He wanted to do a review or something of the site for the book. I said fine ... no problem.

The next guy was a writer for Forbes Magazine. He wanted to include the site in an article for the magazine. I said fine ... again, no problem.

The Forbes article?? "The Ten Best Ways to Waste Your Time on the Internet." It was all about how entertaining the site was. That made me feel great.

Then, a few weeks later, I get a package in the mail from Que. I knew I hadn't ordered anything ... opened it up, and it was the book. Most of the sites got a half a page review ... mine got six whole pages!! (Yeah, baby, SIX!!)

I kept in touch with the guy from Forbes for a while. He wrote a bestseller, novel ... which I read and it was very good. He told me it had been optioned for a movie, but I don't know if it was ever made.

Next thing that happened that gives me a bit of a snickering fit was when he took me out to dinner. We're sitting at the restaurant and he starts name dropping .... he's friends with this VIP and that VIP. Yeah, ok. Then, he says, "In fact, do you know who I had breakfast with this morning?" (Gee, no ... wasn't there.) He then proceeds to name a certain mega VIP in the world of computers and business.

I sit there for a second ... and I think .... I know that name ... I dated him while I was in law school. So then, Mr. Bestseller says "Of course, you've HEARD of him!!" My reply?? "Well, not in a business or computer context, but I did have sex with him for the better part of a year."

A couple of days later I got an email from my old friend (the mega VIP) ... we have kept in touch since then. He's married now and has a couple of beautiful children, and of course, faaabulously wealthy. Funny to think that a website devoted to my cats could lead to so many other interesting encounters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hey, she worked for Gray Cary Where.... I wrote the Payroll/HR software that they use. Although it says Ca, I think our contact was in NY... but I could be wrong.

BOb
Back when I worked at Gray Cary, they were the largest firm in California, but they were only in California. There were about 300 attorneys at the firm that that time. Then, they merged with another large firm, and I think they have probably merged a few times since then. The firm name changes every time I turn around. They could very well be in New York now ... it wouldn't surprize me at all.

Quote:
I had a patient once threaten the President. Being that it was one of my patients and that the threat was purely from a psychotic stance, we didn't think it was serious, but the rules require that we report these things. The field officers who came to interview the patient were very polite and professional and after review decided that the threat level was extremely low, especially since the patient got better with meds.

One of the Secret Service guys kept snarfing cookies from the snack counter though. When you work in a Franciscan hospital, you have a good bakery.

That's the one thing I really don't like about dating law enforcement or government men ... having a loaded weapon on the bedside table at night. That simply gives me the creeps. It's not like I don't know how to use one ... but the last thing I need is for me to be sleepwalking (did I mention I sleepwalk??) and have someone mistake me for a prowler and blamo ... good bye Ricky.

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 08-09-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #105
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
And since he was psychotic to begin with, I don't think they expected a serious threat, but they are required to come and look.

Quote:
I knew a chap on line years back who was a Franciscan friar. He believed that we were all placed on Earth with a vocation -- something we were uniquely suited to do -- but we weren't born knowing what it was. He considered it part of his mission to help people identify their vocation and how they might achieve it.

He was also explicit that he was a very straight up and down orthodox Catholic because that was what worked for him, but he didn't assume his path was appropriate for everyone. I got the sense he felt all paths led to God, and didn't really care which path you chose, so long as you picked one that worked for you and stuck to it. Otherwise, you risked going sideways or in circles instead of advancing.

Quote:
I think they carry Sig Sauers, not Uzis.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 08-09-2008 at 12:51 PM.