Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
JoGoCo
JoGoCo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Next Chapter skips to End in last chapter?

I am happy with firmware 1.4 except for getting books off my I'm Reading list.
When the last chapter is many pages of footnotes or the book shows as only one chapter or the last chapter is long and I don't want to read it, I do not want to page advance through a lot of pages.
The simple solution is to reprogram Menu/Next Chapter to stay active rather greying out when in the last (or only) chapter and to go to the end of the book when selected.
Does anyone agree?
JoGoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I totally agree with you, I've had to finish my books (9 of them so far) every time I added a new one just because I didn't want the book to be removed from my kobo. The only thing that's made it a bit easier is being able to skip numerous pages at a time by clicking the Dpad really quickly.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
That's one possible solution.

I'd like to see the whole library management area re-thought. There is no (good) reason for the epub books we drag and drop onto the Kobo or the SD card to get put into the sqlite database. It just clutters it up and, right now, requires some extra programming to remove books from the database when they get deleted from the Kobo. And if we have a lot of books on an SD card, it takes a long time to 'process' them, and they don't get removed if we change SD cards. That particular use-case was not well thought out, in my opinion.

I realize that the current library display uses the sqlite database as its key resource; but a file system is a database also. The sqlite database seems to be an integral part of the Kobo download format, inherited from the chapter at a time model from Shortcovers, but it isn't required for epub books, and makes them harder to manage.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
JoGoCo
JoGoCo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I was just looking for an easy to do minor tweek to fix an annoying little problem.
A (warranted) full revision of the database and storage software might take longer.
JoGoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
I was really hoping they'd address the whole "I'm Reading" list when a new book is added with the firmware upgrade. Everyone from Kobo that I talk to just tells me to delete it from my library and hang onto it online...it's like they don't realize that people actually want to keep them on their readers, not just online.

Anyways...the only way I work around this is when I do add a new book, in the desktop app I make sure all the books I've purchased and read are on the very last page of the book. That way when they re-appear on my list, all I do is open it up and have to click the next page button once to get rid of it. I've got about 14 books that I've purchased now, so it's getting annoying, but still better than removing it from the device altogether in my mind.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Yeah... new books in the 'im reading' page annoys me too.
Still love the Kobo though, just bought another one for my father!
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote