Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
kindlereader
kindlereader began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Txt TO Speech Now Gone??

I just upgraded to 2.5 and text to speech is gone. I googled this and the only articles were one year old.

The firmware I had on before the upgrade was 2.0x

I think there was a 2.3x firmware that I never got for whatever reason.

Did Amazon disable Text to Speech in 2.5, or 2.3 or is this a bug, or did they move it to a different place other than Menu?

I'm freaking out because 90% of my Kindle usage is text to speech of the daily newspaper and without it, the kindle is worthless to me.
kindlereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I have 2.5.2 and TTS is still there. I'd call Amazon tech support and have them resolve this issue for you.

Also I have not tried TTS on a newspaper just on my eBooks.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
darthjoey
Enthusiast
darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 - International
TTS hasn't been in the menu for as long as I've had a Kindle, so at least since 2.3. TTS is found by pressing the Aa key while in a book.
darthjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Had me panicking for a second there - but it still works on Amazon Daily and all my calibre newsfeeds and everything else it is supposed to. Whew.

I suppose individual subscription publishers could request that it be turned off, however - though the descriptions for subscriptions don't have any indication about it.

Specifically which subscription are you having a problem with? I am curious and would be willing to sign up for trial to see what happens.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-16-2010 at 02:51 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
kindlereader
kindlereader began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Phew! It still works thanks. I didnt realize it was gone from the Menu option since 2.3 because I never got 2.3. I had 2.0.x

I didn't know there was a hot key to get it started. I always did it through the menu. Scared the crap out of me because I literally spend 1 hour each morning listening to the newspaper being read to me.
kindlereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert