Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
John May
John May began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 power problem (battery seems ok)

I have a Kindle 3 which I have been using for more than a year. Last few weeks Kindle doesn't stay on more then 10 minutes and show Dead battery screen, so I open it, remove a battery and put it in voltmetr, it shows 4,2V, so I think battery is ok. When I let it charge, after 30 minutes is charged and works only 10 minutes again. Can anyone hepl me?
John May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds like a battery fault. Contact Kindle CS; even if your Kindle is out of warranty you may well find that they'll replace it - they're very nice .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
John May

Battery is OK. Something else is a problem.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John May View Post
... remove a battery and put it in voltmetr, it shows 4,2V, so I think battery is ok. ...
Faulty logic!

Even a nearly dead battery will yield nearly its full voltage when there is no load. I modern voltmeter places almost no load on the circuit it's testing. The better the meter the less the load. Even under load the battery used by the Kindle will produce nearly full voltage up until very near the end of its charge.

Testing with a volt meter is all but useless. It can't determine if a battery is failing or not.

The symptoms you list are the result of either a failing battery or a faulty charger/cable. If the Kindle with charge "completely" (green charge light) then the charger is OK and short runtime indicates a bad battery. Also, not being able to achieve a full charge may still be the fault of the battery.

Take HarryT's advice and contact Amazon.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Kindles use Lithium Ion (LiOn) batteries.

Lithium Ion batteries lose CAPACITY (the amount of charge that they will hold) as they age. This is measured in mAh (milli-ampere hours). It determines how LONG the battery charge will last.

When Lithium batteries age, they get increased "rock content" (lithium that can no longer hold a charge). This happens even to "new-in-box" batteries, which means that it is not a good idea to buy a spare battery to use later. Later, the unused battery will be dead too.

Many LiOn batteries have a limited number of charge cycles before they lose too much capacity. They can also be affected by temperature, and by maximum charge voltage. They last longer if they are charged to only 70% of their maximum "consumer" capacity.

Batteries intended for life-critical and mission-critical applications are derated to 70% max voltage of what the same battery would be when used in consumer applications. That way they have maximum total lifespan instead of maximum time between charges.

You can read more here, if interested in knowing how and why Lithium batteries behave this way: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

So, HarryT is right...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-02-2012 at 09:42 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
John May

I'm sorry, you was right, i bought new battery and everything seems ok. Thanks.