Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 01:26 AM   #76
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I should have been more careful with my wording. Anyway, that statement rings true on two counts.

But did you see my follow up remark in edit on the 10" pads. I am eager to hear your retort.
iPads? I don't own one but they seem kinda neat. Little pricey, though. I definitely would not want a phone that big.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:07 AM   #77
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Siri, if it works anything close to what Apple claim, seems like a pretty awesome feature.

Too bad it has been completely overshadowed by the massive disappointment felt at not having any funky new hardware. The iPhone 4S has a dual-core A5 chip, which was expected. An improved 8 megapixel camera, which was expected. It will run iOS 5, which was expected. The two things people were looking for (or at least hopping for) were an updated look and a slightly bigger screen, neither of which happened.

Not that it matters, really. iPhone 4S will undoubtedly sell millions, and in a couple of months no one will remember the feeling of disappointment at this conference.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 03:19 AM   #78
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
If the Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 4.0 pans out, I hope to be an ex-Apple owner
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:10 AM   #79
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I'd love to get a new iphone 4s, but when they come out in Australia it will cost $810 - this is why I have never owned an iphone, they have never been below $700AU. So I have a question, stupid I never thought of it before. If I were to buy an unlocked iphone in the U.S. from Apple or whoever would that phone then work in Australia? I can't see why it wouldn't, but I'd be quite happy to pay $200 for one of the new 4S phones if there is a way. I'm from the U.S., my mom still lives there, so I can get the phone sent to her and she can send it on to me if that's a problem.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:15 AM   #80
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
I think the $200 prices are for phones on contract. If you look at the Apple store prices for the iPhone 4, it's $99 on contract, or $549 contract-free.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 04:18 AM   #81
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
^ Ah! I missed that. Ok, that makes a lot more sense to me. I couldn't understand why the price difference was that huge. $550 is cheaper but still not cheap enough for me to buy one. Ah well, guess maybe I'll look at getting an iphone 3gs or maybe the original iphone 4 will drop in price.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #82
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
All this disappointment over no iPhone 5. I think the real problem was in Apple's failing to manage expectations. Why didn't some "unnamed source" whisper into Walt Mossberg's ear that iPhone 5 was most definitely NOT coming? Why didn't they name the new OS "iOS 4S?"

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #83
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I knowan Iphone user who uses Siri, and she really likes it. Apparently they took Siri, pumped it up to 11, and wove it right through the operating system to produce the Assistant.
We'll have to see how helpful this Assistant is. If done right, it really could change everything... again. (sound familiar?. )
When I read your post, I could only think of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuzps...eature=related
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #84
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Finding the "right size" for a mobile phone is tricky. It depends of many, many factors, including the user and its main purpose or functionality.

On my personal case, I think anything between 3.2 and 4 inches is quite good for a mobile phone. You don't have something so big that will be difficult to carry on. Also, big screens (usually) need more battery, so that's also a downside for someone who needs the phone alive for a full working day.

Also, I hate contracts. I prefer to pay cash, even though we're talking about $500 or $600 bucks and unlock it same day saying I'm going to travel outside of USA.

On a side note, I still have my old Motorola Rzr. I had to use it the other day when I forgot to charge mine. I forgot how good battery life "used to be". It last for several days, after several phone calls and died after a week.

It's amazing how companies change our expectations and habits when something new just arrived to the market.

Last edited by jocampo; 10-05-2011 at 11:11 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #85
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
totally missed that they are releasing a 64G model!
My 3GS contract expired as well...
why buy the 64gb model if its all in the cloud?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #86
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
and in a couple of months no one will remember the feeling of disappointment at this conference.
in less than a week they will see Prime and be reminded how little changed on the iPhone 4s

Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #87
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
why buy the 64gb model if its all in the cloud?
Maybe a lot of people aren't interested in keeping stuff in the cloud?

Just because it's there doesn't mean you are forced to use it (unlike something like Chromebooks, which rely more on the cloud for everything)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #88
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
All this disappointment over no iPhone 5. I think the real problem was in Apple's failing to manage expectations. Why didn't some "unnamed source" whisper into Walt Mossberg's ear that iPhone 5 was most definitely NOT coming? Why didn't they name the new OS "iOS 4S?"

eP
Serious question: do you think companies should have to manage and respond to every rumor that gets printed about what they might ship?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #89
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Oh yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
holy cow, that's a big phone.
To paraphrase Crocodile dunde. "You call that a phone... this is a phone!"

=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #90
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
the expectations were created by the constant rumor mill, not Apple. One one side, you can't expect Apple to negate rumors without revealing info. On the other, you can't expect expectations to not be high after the longest wait between iPhones thus far. Some say Apple could have released this months ago, avoiding the disappointment. I dunno.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote