Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
sfuller
sfuller began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Template error value:unknown field null

I have a custom column that is broken in 8.5. The template is {tags:contains(fiction,AF,{null})}. I've had that column for a long time--has there been a syntax change?
sfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
No, no syntax changes, but yes, better error reporting.

There is a long-term bug that permits templates to be (sometimes) executed inside templates. You have been tripping over this bug, where {null} appears to be a template accessing the field named "null". There is no such field. I haven't fixed this bug because it could be considered a feature.

Another bug permitted use of bogus field names. That bug has been fixed, now reporting the error instead of doing something else. In your case, the 'something else' was probably returning the word "null". If that is what you want to happen, remove the {} around the word "null". If you want something else to happen, then change the template appropriately.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
sfuller

I want the value to be AF or blank. I was using this from the manual as a guide--In a plugboard, you can set a field to empty (or whatever is equivalent to empty) by using the special template {null}. This template will always evaluate to an empty string.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
sfuller

Fixed--I thought I needed a text if not match field from "contains(val, pattern, text if match, text if not match)". I just left the second parameter blank and the column is working.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for pointing out the error in the documentation. I have no clue why I wrote that back in September of last year. If {null} ever worked, then it was by accident. I will fix the doc.

Your solution is the correct one -- leave the parameter empty.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert