Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
How would you change the Kindle 3?

OK, time for some free crowd sourced consultancy for Amazon, which I guess reads these forums - this is inspired by Engadget that runs features like this one from time to time.
I got rid of my Kindle DXG because of the lack of WiFi (I live outside of the US and the whispernet delivery was too expensive). I am the happy owner of a Kindle 3 wifi, which has great improvements (pdf, speed, browser) - but there's a bit of room for more on the hardware and software sides. Just to kick start the discussion:

HARDWARE:
-"Rocker": almost right this time - but get the center button a bit more elevated? People with chubby fingers probably press the whole thing when trying to press the center only.
-Position of the rocker: really, really Amazon - having the back button makes it very easy to press by mistake when trying "down".
-Can you guys please silkscreen the NUMBERS above the letters? Having to guess them is pretty annoying.

SOFTWARE:
-Can we make the documents folder shared on a network so I can drag and drop stuff there without going through USB or Amazon servers (@free.kindle.com)?
-More zoom options for PDF.
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
+ I don't like the keyboard.
+ I want epub support.
+ Better handle of PDFs.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
-keyboard is ideal, ergonomics and ovearll design is way awesome
-couldn't care less for epub, fb2 support would be nice
-easier customization of the reader would be appreciated.
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I like the keyboard. I don't want a touchscreen or anything like that so it would be hard to buy the books I want without the keyboard.

EPub would be nice, if only because it would stop everyone from whining about not having EPub. And it would remove one of the selling points for the Nook and Sony. I get that Amazon wants to own its own format. They can still sell books using the Mobi if they want but allow people to download EPub books.

More customization would be nice but I am not sure that I would use it. Again, it would be nice to have if only to stop people from asking for it. (grins)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Okay.....I'd get rid of the stupid 'twitter/facebook' thing.

And whose bright idea was it to say "oh yeah, you can read pdf natively'........but then make it so small you have to actually use the zoom feature?

Which is extremely annoying.......

I'd attach a handle to the middle of the back....so that you could hold it with your hand slid thru it while reading it without a cover.

And no.....I'm not using Vugitan's suggestions to do so. It should be built in and collapsible.

Hey......you asked!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Personally I like my kindle just like it is. but I do not need the browser or the tweeter/facebook stuff either. I read books that is it do not need anything else.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiyoforward View Post
-Can you guys please silkscreen the NUMBERS above the letters? Having to guess them is pretty annoying.
Yes. Silkscreen the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
Better handle of PDFs.
It should handle PDFs like the Sony. The Sony, like the Kindle, can zoom-and-pan, but it can also reflow the text. This can be awkward in documents containing multiple rows and graphics, but it still beats the heck out of zoom-and-pan alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
EPub would be nice...
Yes it would, but it's not a major deal for me. Non-DRMed ePubs can easily be converted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Okay.....I'd get rid of the stupid 'twitter/facebook' thing.
I can't see myself using that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I'd attach a handle to the middle of the back....so that you could hold it with your hand slid thru it while reading it without a cover.
Like my Sony Touch. The strap on the PRS-600 comes in handy when you've been reading so long you begin to nod off. Keeps accidents from happening!

The only thing I can add is that I wish the turn buttons were more like on the K2. I find that often if I lay the K3 down for a minute, when I pick it back up, I'm always hitting one of them. I suppose I'll just have to learn to pick it up differently.

All these beefs are small (except for the PDF handling, for which I turn to my Sony). The K3 is a most remarkable device.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-12-2010 at 04:02 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

The only thing I can add is that I wish the turn buttons were more like on the K2. I find that often if I lay the K3 down for a minute, when I pick it back up, I'm always hitting one of them. I suppose I'll just have to learn to pick it up differently.

Just hit the little slider switch really quickly to put it to sleep, and you don't have to worry about how you pick it up.

Milli-second to do and undo......
Old 10-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Geat, thanks. From the replies I gather that:
-None of you people have sausage-like fingers that struggle with the rocker's center and the back key below it?
-No one really needs direct wireless access to the thingie?
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
-None of you people have sausage-like fingers that struggle with the rocker's center and the back key below it?
Try using the edge of your nail instead of the pad of your finger....even the smallest nail works.

Nope, i'm good. Calibre will email my books for me.....(if I understand you,) I have the Wi-Fi
Old 10-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
How would I change my K3? Just make smaller and lighter ... like my Kobo.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
For now: I like them to add ePub formats, library lending and better handling in pdf.

^and yeah what he says. Make it more lighter so it's not too heavy with a book cover.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
- slide out keyboard to make the kindle size smaller - love the physical keyboard and don't want a touchscreen keyboard
- unbreakable screen would be a bonus for those of us who are naturally clumsy or have children who might be rough with the Kindle
- be nice to view books by the covers but not essential
- collections within collections is something I'd find useful or to be able to just dump all my folder organised ebooks on my pc straight on the kindle and have the folders show up
- the ability to edit unprotected ebooks or your personal docs on the fly
- more 2 key shortcut combos
- prices to be shown at first glance when browsing the Amazon store and not having to click into a separate page
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Dear Mr Amazon, would you fix it for me that my K3:

1. Allows me to adjust how long it takes before the unit goes in to sleep mode?

2. That when it does go in to sleep mode, it allows me to choose a nice screensaver (even if this is limited to ones I have to download from your site)?

3. That I can change both the margin size and whether to have left or fully justified by simply having options in the settings, and not by having to get in to the pref folder?

4. That, if it does not blow your business model wide apart, I can read drmed epubs?

I know I will have thought of more in the morning, so I ask this of you now so that I don't seem too greedy.

Oh, and also what TheKindleWorm said about prices on your website.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Not me, but I play piano. Maybe that helps.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote