Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
GaryL
GaryL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Making a Choice

Greetings,

I am currently visiting family in the United States for a few weeks but I live full time in Madagascar. Since it is very hard to find books in English in Madagascar I plan to buy an mobile-reader while I am here and load it with material to take back to the island.

I have done some research on the internet but as you know there are many options and many questions come up.

Since I am in a very remote location the main issue really is reliability and finding a unit that is 'bomb proof", strong and simple.

I'm not really concerned with having many extras or the most up to date reader just one that has the best chance of lasting for some time.

It seems Sony readers are able to access more content oulets...

~ But would there be more problems with a touch screen than the older models?

~ Is the glare factor really that bad with the new Sony unit? Will the screen handle impact just as well?

~ With Kindle you're tied to Amzaon. We have a very slow internet connection so it will be hard to load books once I get back home.

~ Is there one unit that is able to access more 'free' or less expensive material?

Thank in advance of any and all thoughts / ideas.

Regards,

Gary L

Chez Maggie Hotel

www.chezmaggie.com
GaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Gary, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welB001-b.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	39605 to Mobileread.

Last edited by Lady Blue; 11-20-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Sorry about the typ-o
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Gary and welcome to MobileRead. If you compare the 300 and the 600 side-by-side, the 300 has a noticeably clearer screen. But most people who've bought the 600 say you don't notice it much. I've got the 505 and like it fine. Don't really need a touch screen
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
With Kindle you're tied to Amzaon.
That's not completely true. You can download free (public domain) books from FeedBooks, Project Guthenburg, and other sources (including this forum's download section). You have to download them to a computer and transfer them to the device via a cable connection, but that's true of most other readers as well.

I'm not saying the Kindle is necessarily your best choice. As you say, there are several factors to take into account.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
Greetings,

~ With Kindle you're tied to Amzaon. We have a very slow internet connection so it will be hard to load books once I get back home.
Try here for a little more accurate information. With thanks to Daffy4u.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...Partial_Truths
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert