Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 01:51 AM   #61
russellmz00
russellmz00 began at the beginning.

Device: sony pocket reader
will those new offers be available for the 3g special offers only?
russellmz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:54 AM   #62
ray77
ray77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
hi tubemonkey,
i've checked your thread regularly and i think that its really a cool thread
better than check the offers at amazon site
and.... would you mind if i ask you a few questions regarding the special offers? some questions (most of them ) are silly and very noob questions, but its really confused me
here we go
1. can i use amazon gift card as a payment for this offer "Pay $10 for $20 Amazon Gift Card"?
2. for the audible promo, this catches my eyes: "free daily subscription to The New York Times or The Wall Street Journal"
does it mean that i can get 6 months subscription with just $6? can it delivered to a customer who lived outside US? Can it delivered to computer?
3. does audiobooks have texts like a normal ebook in addition to audio? so we can read along with the spoken words?
how do we navigate from section to section? is it possible to convert an audiobooks to mp3 so i can listen it with my mobile phone?
i've never experienced audio books before and i've googled but so far it seems that i cant find the answers i lookin for
4. does the newest offer which is originally for kindle 3G can be applied for kindle 3 wifi as well? its really tempting
thanks , sorry for bothering
ray77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #63
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
It's an audible subscription, delivered to kindle of your choice, via wifi only (looks to show up at near end of business day).

All KSO offers have been US only, so far.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmz00 View Post
will those new offers be available for the 3g special offers only?
My guess is yes. I can't see Amazon running two separate offer programs; it wouldn't make sense.

The next offer should kick in tomorrow at midnight and we'll know then.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #65
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray77 View Post
hi tubemonkey,
i've checked your thread regularly and i think that its really a cool thread
better than check the offers at amazon site
and.... would you mind if i ask you a few questions regarding the special offers? some questions (most of them ) are silly and very noob questions, but its really confused me
here we go
1. can i use amazon gift card as a payment for this offer "Pay $10 for $20 Amazon Gift Card"?
2. for the audible promo, this catches my eyes: "free daily subscription to The New York Times or The Wall Street Journal"
does it mean that i can get 6 months subscription with just $6? can it delivered to a customer who lived outside US? Can it delivered to computer?
3. does audiobooks have texts like a normal ebook in addition to audio? so we can read along with the spoken words?
how do we navigate from section to section? is it possible to convert an audiobooks to mp3 so i can listen it with my mobile phone?
i've never experienced audio books before and i've googled but so far it seems that i cant find the answers i lookin for
4. does the newest offer which is originally for kindle 3G can be applied for kindle 3 wifi as well? its really tempting
thanks , sorry for bothering
Thanks and you're not bothering. We're here to help. So, welcome to the group; hope you enjoy it.

1- not sure if you can use a gift card that way. You have nothing to lose by trying it.

2- that subscription is for an audio version of the papers, not print versions. Basically, it's a podcast. I haven't tried it yet and doubt I will, so I don't know the details about delivery. Like koland mentioned, these offers are only valid in the US.

3- audiobooks generally don't come with ebooks. There might be an exception every now and then. Pretty much anything can be converted from one format to another. Whether it's legal depends on the circumstances.

Generally, audiobooks come in three formats: MP3, WMA, and Audible. Most MP3 players support all three formats. Smartphones support MP3 and with an app, can support Audible. I believe only Windows phones can support WMA; not certain though, because I don't own a smartphone.

Public libraries mostly use WMA, with a small minority of their books in MP3. Apple devices can play WMA after a conversion that takes place during the download process.

I love audiobooks and they're easy to do.

4- I believe these offers will be the same for both WiFi and 3G versions of the KSO. We'll know for sure when the next offer appears.

Hope I answered everything. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. And again, welcome aboard.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #66
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Many thanks for this. As a potential KSO user with no WiFi this thread could be a life saver.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:32 AM   #67
ray77
ray77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
thanks tubemonkey and koland for your time
i really appreciate it, you are great, guys
especially for tubemonkey, thats pretty much erased all my confusion
thanks again and keep updating

ray77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #68
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
Many thanks for this. As a potential KSO user with no WiFi this thread could be a life saver.
You'll want to take it somewhere with WiFi and get it registered and let it download the first set of ads. They should then display on time without needing wifi most of the time. A few of them do require you to have wifi to sign up, but you can run to McD's or Starbucks to do so (these offers send you a promotional code in email, but you need to click on the ad to get the email, which requires wifi access).
Old 05-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #69
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
You'll want to take it somewhere with WiFi and get it registered and let it download the first set of ads. They should then display on time without needing wifi most of the time. A few of them do require you to have wifi to sign up, but you can run to McD's or Starbucks to do so (these offers send you a promotional code in email, but you need to click on the ad to get the email, which requires wifi access).
Thanks for the clarification. Look like I will be getting the 3G version.

Does anyone know if the ads with long expiration dates automatically show up for a new Kindle? In other words, can I count on getting the offer for something expiring in August?

Also, tubemonkey, much thanks for updating the first post to keep current. How considerate is that!

Thanks

Last edited by chas0039; 05-28-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #70
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Does anyone know if the ads with long expiration dates automatically show up for a new Kindle? In other words, can I count on getting the offer for something expiring in August?

Also, tubemonkey, much thanks for updating the first post to keep current. How considerate is that!

Thanks
I seriously doubt previous offers will be available, but don't know for sure. I need confirmation from new owners about the offers appearing on their Kindles.

Amazon gives you 4 days to claim an offer. Once claimed, you then have anywhere from 1 to 3 months to redeem it. If you miss the deadline for claiming it, I believe you're out of luck.

Thanks and you're welcome
Old 05-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #71
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray77 View Post
thanks tubemonkey and koland for your time
i really appreciate it, you are great, guys
especially for tubemonkey, thats pretty much erased all my confusion
thanks again and keep updating

Thank you both and glad I can be of assistance
Old 05-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #72
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I seriously doubt previous offers will be available, but don't know for sure. I need confirmation from new owners about the offers appearing on their Kindles.

Amazon gives you 4 days to claim an offer. Once claimed, you then have anywhere from 1 to 3 months to redeem it. If you miss the deadline for claiming it, I believe you're out of luck.
I also doubt the early offers will return (could be wrong though) and suspect later offers will get less attractive, as the KSO becomes more common.

The time length to jump on an offer, though, isn't set in stone. The Audible offer was two days only, for example.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #73
koland
Grand Sorcerer

The newest deal is up:

Spend $5 on Kindle Singles and get a $5 Amazon.com Gift Card

Can someone with a Kindle 3G with Special Offers confirm that you have the same offer? (the others I see are Visa Stay Perks, 3x rewards with Amazon Visa and Olay Regenerist)
Old 05-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #74
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I also doubt the early offers will return (could be wrong though) and suspect later offers will get less attractive, as the KSO becomes more common.
My thinking also. Really good deals initially to reward early adopters.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #75
chas0039
Sceptic

Makes me wonder what we 3G "early adopters" will see, as the 3G is not even a week old.

Oh well, I'll see in a few days. If I can get the 50% off case, I'm good.