Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #31
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Also in the UK with a choice of with Ads or without for an extra £10, while the Voyage continues without them.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I far prefer the Voyage. The flush screen is easy to keep clean (the raised bezel is prone to getting hairs and other crud around the edges), the haptic page-turn sensors work extremely well, and the whole device just has a higher-quality feel to it than the PW. The light sensor which automatically adjusts screen brightness works pretty well, too.

There's room in the marketplace for both devices, I think.
I agree with this.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best thing for Amazon to do (IMHO) is to go with go with a larger screen Voyage to replace the current Voyage but for the same price. This would leave the PW3 as the top end 6" Reader and the Voyage would be for those that want a larger screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #34
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I don't want a larger screen. 6 inch is just perfect for size and weight ratio.

I need a kindle with page buttons and light. Voyage is the only one that has that. If I have to pay $80 more for it so be. I can't do anything about that. I need what I need.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #35
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I doubt that many existing Kindle users would have considered the Glo HD before this announcement either. If you've spent a fair amount of money within the Amazon walled garden, most people have neither the inclination nor the knowledge to convert book formats. One thing Amazon are very good at is encouraging brand loyalty.
While that is probably true, I can't help but notice that the Canadian price without mention of special offers is lower than the US price with special offers (accounting for the difference in the dollar). That does suggest that Amazon is concerned with the Canadian market at the very least. I would also suggest that they are trying to prevent Kobo from getting a foothold in the US market, since Kobo has expressed some interest in doing so.
Advert
Old 06-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I don't want a larger screen. 6 inch is just perfect for size and weight ratio.

I need a kindle with page buttons and light. Voyage is the only one that has that. If I have to pay $80 more for it so be. I can't do anything about that. I need what I need.
A lot of people do want a larger screen. That's why the Kobo Aura HD and the Kobo Aura H2O sell well. The screen is 6.8" and very nice. Besides, if Amazon did move the Voyage larger, there would still be the PW3 at 6". With a larger screen Viyage Amazon could then justify the cost.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #37
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A lot of people do want a larger screen. That's why the Kobo Aura HD and the Kobo Aura H2O sell well. The screen is 6.8" and very nice. Besides, if Amazon did move the Voyage larger, there would still be the PW3 at 6". With a larger screen Viyage Amazon could then justify the cost.
Then those of us like me, would not have a kindle to use anymore. The basic doesn't have buttons anymore. I would be left without the ability to read.

I am sure I am not the only one, or the Voyage wouldn't have been such a hit. I can't say I have heard a lot of kindle users wanting a larger one. And I hang out at kindle user places. There was some that liked the DX. A Kobo isn't really in my radar as a kindle user and the average kindle user wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. Most can't just switch devices with having purchases at one store. Users here are not really a representation of the average majority user.

I just don't think that there is a a want for a larger kindle at this point at all. Pretty much all Voyage users I talked to are very happy with the way it is and we were willing to pay more for it to get the features it offers. That didn't change with this announcement. Otherwise I could have gotten a PW2 to replace my PW1. I got the Voyage for the features the PW does not have and still doesn't, even with this new model.

They don't really need to justify the cost. I paid close to $400 for the first kindle, $289 for the keyboard. It is what it is. I need to read as I need to breath. I need the features the Voyage has, to do so.

Last edited by Atunah; 06-17-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Then those of us like me, would not have a kindle to use anymore. The basic doesn't have buttons anymore. I would be left without the ability to read.
What's wrong with using the touch screen to turn the page? Are you saying you cannot use a touch screen?

Quote:
I am sure I am not the only one, or the Voyage wouldn't have been such a hit. I can't say I have heard a lot of kindle users wanting a larger one. And I hang out at kindle user places. There was some that liked the DX. A Kobo isn't really in my radar as a kindle user and the average kindle user wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. Most can't just switch devices with having purchases at one store. Users here are not really a representation of the average majority user.
The Voyage sold because of the 300dpi Carta screen more so than the buttons. The PW1 and PW2 sold well and they have no page turn buttons. I think the PW3 will outsell the Voyage because of the price reduction for the same screen. The lack of buttons won't be an issue. The DX sells to some and other have a DX because of the larger screen. This is why I suggest Amazon come out with a larger scree Voyage to replace the one they have.If Amazon needs to keep costs down to match the current price, the buttons can go.

Quote:
I just don't think that there is a a want for a larger kindle at this point at all. Pretty much all Voyage users I talked to are very happy with the way it is and we were willing to pay more for it to get the features it offers. That didn't change with this announcement. Otherwise I could have gotten a PW2 to replace my PW1. I got the Voyage for the features the PW does not have and still doesn't, even with this new model.
I think there is a want for a larger screen Kindle that has a Carta screen, high resolution and can run the current firmware so it has the latest features. The PW1 vs. PW2 is completely different. If you had a PW1 with a good screen, then getting a PW2 was a waste of money. The Voyage offered the new Carta 300dpi screen. That's what made it different. The PW1 and PW2 were not that different overall.

Quote:
They don't really need to justify the cost. I paid close to $400 for the first kindle, $289 for the keyboard. It is what it is. I need to read as I need to breath. I need the features the Voyage has, to do so.
With the PW3, I do think Amazon should justify the cost. What you paid for older Kindle's has nothing at all to do with what prices are now. (IMHO), Kobo has the better Reader hardware with the H2O and it's priced slightly less and you get a bigger screen. No reason Amazon cannot take the Voyage and do something similar.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #39
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
For me anyway this means there is no reason to buy the voyage.

I'll be curious to see if the new PW screen will actually be BETTER than the voyage's. My suspicion is making the screen flush with the bevel compromises clarity. We'll see.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #40
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
One problem with making the Voyage larger is that its current (smaller and lighter than the PW) size is one of its most attractive features.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:42 PM   #41
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's wrong with using the touch screen to turn the page? Are you saying you cannot use a touch screen?
I do not profess to understand it, but, yes -- apparently many people simply cannot handle swiping/tapping to turn the page. Maybe it distracts their reading, maybe they have physical infirmities, there could be other reasons...

Regardless, I would like to point out that apparently there is a market for devices with physical page turn buttons. That market would not exist if no one considered touchscreen-based turning to be a severe impediment.

Quote:
The Voyage sold because of the 300dpi Carta screen more so than the buttons. The PW1 and PW2 sold well and they have no page turn buttons. I think the PW3 will outsell the Voyage because of the price reduction for the same screen. The lack of buttons won't be an issue. The DX sells to some and other have a DX because of the larger screen. This is why I suggest Amazon come out with a larger scree Voyage to replace the one they have.If Amazon needs to keep costs down to match the current price, the buttons can go.
People buy the Voyage for several reasons, among them being the clarity, as well as the buttons. Again -- there was actually an actual reason for including them in the first place -- because people wanted them.

I cannot understand the logic of the mindset that would protest that "the PW3 will outsell the Voyage" -- no, really, Sherlock? What part of "premium device" escaped your notice? I promise you, no one expects the Voyage to compete with the PW3 -- it didn't compete with the PW2 either.

Quote:
I think there is a want for a larger screen Kindle that has a Carta screen, high resolution and can run the current firmware so it has the latest features. The PW1 vs. PW2 is completely different. If you had a PW1 with a good screen, then getting a PW2 was a waste of money. The Voyage offered the new Carta 300dpi screen. That's what made it different. The PW1 and PW2 were not that different overall.
Well, certainly -- you want it. Whether anyone else does, or whether Amazon can justify paying attention to a very niche market, remains to be seen. Amazon offered a large-screen Kindle -- the DX. It was a market failure. They didn't try again.

Quote:
With the PW3, I do think Amazon should justify the cost. What you paid for older Kindle's has nothing at all to do with what prices are now. (IMHO), Kobo has the better Reader hardware with the H2O and it's priced slightly less and you get a bigger screen. No reason Amazon cannot take the Voyage and do something similar.
Except you have yet to prove why bigger screens are an arbitrarily-good thing. Amazon isn't interested in that market, not least because said market is oriented around PDFs which Amazon doesn't sell.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #42
Atunah
Wizard

I hated reading on my PW so much I had to buy a basic. The one that had buttons, they took those away now too.

I just need buttons period. I can't hold a device with one hand if I have to twist a thumb into the screen. I tried for 2 years with the PW and I just can't do it. I can with the Voyage just fine. I also had pains in my joints as for each page turn I have to turn my joint again and again. Instead of just having a finger sit in the same space with a slight press.

It just kept taking me out of reading with the PW, I couldn't do long sessions of reading. Now I am in heaven Voyage is the right shape, the right size and weight and I have buttons. Well as much as they are buttons.
No buttons, the joy of reading is gone for me. Larger device? My wrists and hands would hurt from the weight.

I can't recall reading anywhere of kindle users wanting a larger carta e-reader or a larger Voyage. I don't really care what Kobo does, has nothing to do with my kindle use. They could sprinkle unicorn dust over it and not entice me. I have my books at amazon, I have the best customer service and I believe I use the best e-ink device out there. For my use. It has everything I need. I don't care about rooting and all that stuff I keep reading about the Kobos. I don't do that stuff. I just want to turn on my kindle and read.

I think its great they are still improving on the kindles and this new Paperwhite shows that again. Voyage and PW can live side by side just fine.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #43
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^^ well I am a kindler and I'd like a bigger screen. There, you've read it here :-)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #44
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'd love for them to do a 6.8" reader. It's not that much bigger, but it sure is nice when reading. If they're going to have buttons, which is fine, I almost think I'd prefer old K3 style buttons but that could just be because I used them for so long and was extremely comfortable with them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #45
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And I am quite happy to admit that there will be a minority of people that want a bigger Kindle. Amazon clearly does not consider the three of you (and a handful of others) to be a big enough consumer base to devote a whole product type to.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all-new paperwhite