Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #76
savemykindle
savemykindle began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Code:
D:\KindleSelectBoot>fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2.img
downloading 'diags'...
OKAY [  3.078s]
writing 'diags'...
OKAY [ 13.109s]
finished. total time: 16.188s

D:\KindleSelectBoot>fastboot flash diags_kernel diags_kernel.img
downloading 'diags_kernel'...
OKAY [  0.234s]
writing 'diags_kernel'...
OKAY [  2.969s]
finished. total time: 3.203s

D:\KindleSelectBoot>fastboot flash kernel main_kernel.img
downloading 'kernel'...
OKAY [  0.219s]
writing 'kernel'...
OKAY [  2.406s]
finished. total time: 2.641s

D:\KindleSelectBoot>fastboot setvar bootmode diags
setting 'bootmode' to 'diags'...
bootmode diags:
finished. total time: 0.016s

D:\KindleSelectBoot>fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.000s
I did all the above but still unable to get into diag mode.

I keep getting the following jagged screen:

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have tried both 4.0.0 and 4.0.1 diags and kernels and both end up the same.

Last edited by savemykindle; 10-19-2012 at 11:54 PM.
savemykindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #77
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemykindle View Post
... I did all the above but still unable to get into diag mode.

I keep getting the following jagged screen:

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have tried both 4.0.0 and 4.0.1 diags and kernels and both end up the same.
That jagged screen is a normal 608x800 "boy under tree" screen, displayed on a diags 600x800 screen. That is a normal step in the diags boot process.

When it hangs there, that usually happens in diags if your kernel and diags partition are not matching compatible versions, or if your battery is not charged enough for it to finish booting to the diags menu.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #78
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
And if left in that state, it will discharge your battery!

See if you can get it into "fastboot" mode that provides battery charging and management while running.
Do that **NOW** before the battery discharges too far to boot to "fastboot" mode.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #79
savemykindle

Thanks for the advice. I think the problem is with my kindle battery. It suddenly went from full one day to critical the next and no matter how I charged it, hard reset it, it just wouldn't charge or boot up. A little disappointing since it has only been a few weeks since I bought it.

Tried flashing and made sure the diags and kernels match but it's stuck at the jagged screen which I now know is the boy under the tree in diag's resolution and the issue is that the battery is not charged enough for it to boot into diags.

Usually it would be an easy exchange with Amazon but since I am outside the US, shipping fees, which can add up to 90% of the value of the kindle 4 NT complicate the matter.

Anyway thank you very much for the assistance rendered here. I truly appreciate it.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #80
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I think the problem is with my kindle battery. It suddenly went from full one day to critical the next and no matter how I charged it, hard reset it, it just wouldn't charge or boot up. A little disappointing since it has only been a few weeks since I bought it.

Tried flashing and made sure the diags and kernels match but it's stuck at the jagged screen which I now know is the boy under the tree in diag's resolution and the issue is that the battery is not charged enough for it to boot into diags.

Usually it would be an easy exchange with Amazon but since I am outside the US, shipping fees, which can add up to 90% of the value of the kindle 4 NT complicate the matter.

Anyway thank you very much for the assistance rendered here. I truly appreciate it.
wall charger.
Mine took circa 15 hours to charge from utterly flat when I tested it. (I drained it on purpose obviously)

Strange charging quirks I have noticed:

when using UsbForNetwork sometimes the device refuses to charge.
swapping to FAT mode and then "ejecting" from the PC fixes this intermittent weirdness.

DIAGS modes just flatten the battery, always BIG charge before trying them.
They don't even try to charge.

Probably more but those affect me the most.

Last edited by twobob; 10-22-2012 at 12:01 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #81
savemykindle

thanks twobob for your input. unfortunately, I didn't get the wall charger from amazon. I did try charging with those usb ports from a universal adapter overnight and the orange light does stay on for many hours, same goes for charging through a pc. However for both cases, I find that the orange light does go off after some hours which seems to indicate the battery is full and it is no longer charging.

Furthermore it is weird that my kindle went utterly flat since it was full just a day before when i left it on the table and haven't touched it at all... unless the battery indicator is not accurate..

I do wonder though if there is a flaw in the K4NT that makes them so hard to charge up.. do you charge it uninterrupted for say 8 hours when you first got the device? does that help with the battery life?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #82
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do not trust the LED for charging status. A flat battery can put the kindle in "slow charge" mode. If the battery is flat, try a wall charger (even one for a camera or cell phone should work) for 20 hours.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #83
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks twobob for your input. unfortunately, I didn't get the wall charger from amazon. I did try charging with those usb ports from a universal adapter overnight and the orange light does stay on for many hours, same goes for charging through a pc. However for both cases, I find that the orange light does go off after some hours which seems to indicate the battery is full and it is no longer charging.

Furthermore it is weird that my kindle went utterly flat since it was full just a day before when i left it on the table and haven't touched it at all... unless the battery indicator is not accurate..

I do wonder though if there is a flaw in the K4NT that makes them so hard to charge up.. do you charge it uninterrupted for say 8 hours when you first got the device? does that help with the battery life?
Not a "flaw" just no battery management control software running.

If you "just left it sitting on the table" in diags mode - your battery should discharge to un-usable condition in less than 12 hours.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=78

Both the LED indicator and the battery charger / battery management is under software control.
If your software is not running properly, neither is the controls.
Translation:
You can not trust the LED unless all things are normal.

The "charge for 8 hours" is based on using a low current charge source (USB port or USB charger) and covers re-charging the battery from the 70% charge level (which is how they ship) to a 90%+ level.

If you do not have a wall charger (high current charge source) then with a **good** Kindle, it may take 20 hours or more to re-charge.
With a **bad** Kindle, it will take somewhere between several days to never.

The above: **good** means operating normally, and **bad** means any other condition.

Last edited by knc1; 10-22-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #84
geekmaster

We seem to have a recurring problem with kindles that no longer work because their batteries are insufficiently charged.

The "my kindle is bricked because I charged it for a couple of hours and it still does not work" syndrome seems to plague this forum. And then they do mess it up trying to flash the mmc (unnecessarily) with a discharged battery.

And with new kindles shipping with NO wall charger, I suspect that too many people may think that their kindle is charging on a USB port even though they did not eject it, and it says it is not charging on the eink screen (in that easily missed text buried somewhere on the "USB Drive Mode" screen...

Do we need a new sticky thread titled "Charge the Battery on a Wall Charger for 20 hours!" ???

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-22-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #85
knc1
Going Viral

I wonder what part of: Do it now did not translate.

Perhaps the site registration form needs a message added:
"Before registering here, be certain that you have fully charged your Kindle battery."

And alter the reply e-main to require the output of the gas gage thing in the body of the confirmation.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #86
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:

The last questions were answered.

I bought a "compatible" wall charger for about 5 dollars.

heres one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CE-Home-Wa...item25766970c9

not long left...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #87
bstanescu
bstanescu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K4NT
Kindle won't charge

Hi there,

I tried to follow all the "simple methods" of unbricking the Kindle, but
my bricked out of battery Kindle just won't get into fastboot.

I've let it 48h to charge and still nothing. Mfg sucessfully detects the HID device, the fastboot or diags profile is executed correctly, then the device disconnects from the OS.

Question: should the two pins on the back of the kindle give some voltage if the battery is charged? I get a flat zero even after 48h of charging it with a 5V outlet adapter.

PS: Thanks for all the hard work guys!
bstanescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #88
geekmaster

Re: Kindle won't charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanescu View Post
Hi there,

I tried to follow all the "simple methods" of unbricking the Kindle, but
my bricked out of battery Kindle just won't get into fastboot.

I've let it 48h to charge and still nothing. Mfg sucessfully detects the HID device, the fastboot or diags profile is executed correctly, then the device disconnects from the OS.

Question: should the two pins on the back of the kindle give some voltage if the battery is charged? I get a flat zero even after 48h of charging it with a 5V outlet adapter.

PS: Thanks for all the hard work guys!
The back pins are software-controlled. It is normal for them to be off until the software turns them on.

Which kindle version?

Your "Mfg" and "diags profile" comments suggest you meant MfgTool, in which case you have a K4 or K5.

Does diags work?

Does the eink screen change when you boot to diags with MfgTool?

What OS are you running?

The USB disconnect may be on the host PC side.

How do you KNOW that "the kindle won't charge?

We need more information to help you...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-26-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #89
bstanescu

Yeah, sorry about my vagueness...

- Kindle 4,

- The Diags don't work

- The screen does not change whatever I do (actually I cannot do much )
Not even when I tried to boot to diags with MfgTool.
The screen is stuck on the default standby screen. It also displays that I should connect wirelessly to update my Special Offers (long ago I did deleted the folder with the special offers' images)

- I tried MfgTool on Windows XP (on a virtual machine on a Mac).
I also tried on a Windows 7

- How do I KNOW that "the kindle won't charge?
Actually I don't... I just assumed 48h would suffice to get it to boot...

I'm stuck... Should I let it charge for (more) days?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #90
bstanescu

I let my K4NT connected to the charger for more than 6 days, and the behavior is the same when I connect it to Windows XP and run MfgTool.

It is unclear from all the tutorials if on a successful MfgTool profile load, the Kindle should change its state (screen) - or reboot. Mine - as you can see in the video does nothing apparently.

I tried diags, fastboot or main .. nothing.

Unfortunately I'm overseas US and I don't know when I'll get a chance to go back to send it to Amazon .. Shipping it would cost me a far lot than buying a new one.
I'm really stuck. I could use any advice.
Thank you!

Here's what I tried:

Tags
debricking