Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Angry Dear lord, do NOT buy the Velocity Cruz.

I bought the $99 VC reader yesterday at Best Buy. After 3 hours, I took it back.

I knew it would be sluggish.

I knew it would be heavy.

I knew the touch screen would be relatively unresponsive.

I expected to at least be able to turn pages in my books.

Either the Borders app or the touch screen itself was so utterly unresponsive that, while I could type in text (by pushing down till I saw the letter appear) I simply could not scroll in the borders app at all. Oddly enough, I think the bug must be in the borders app - because I was able to scroll the desktop screen.

In other news, I could not figure out a way to delete my borders id from the app, so I had to change my password before I returned the unit.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
devarshib
devarshib began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Did you try the VC tablet? I've been looking at it since it has a capacitive screen, but haven't had a chance to try one in real life.
devarshib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
QVC is selling a Velocity Micro Cruz today as its special value for $187; info is here.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I bougt the Cruz. Retuned it less than 48 hours later. I had to reinstall the firmware to remove my personal info (gmail access).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Buy the Pandigital Novel from Kohl's for $60 and install some custom firmware. Then you can run Kindle, Aldiko, Moon+, Fbreader, eraeader, etc.

The Borders/Kobo apps haven't been updated in a while and aren't working well on many tablets.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In my case, the PDN is not available at Khol's. They were all sent back.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshib View Post
Did you try the VC tablet? I've been looking at it since it has a capacitive screen, but haven't had a chance to try one in real life.
When I looked around the 'net for a discussion of the tablet, the common refrain was that it was better than the Reader, but not by much.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
If you really like an LCD e-reader, you should spend the extra $150 or so and get the Nook color if you can. I know it's basically twice the price, but the difference between a decent processor/GPU/amount of RAM with a capacitive IPS LCD, and a resistive cheaper LCD....big difference.

It's really the best LCD e-reader at this point by a wide margin, and probably the best bang/buck Android tablet on the market right now, if you root it.

I know about having a budget, though. It sounds like the Pandigital Novel can be a bit better if you're on a tight budget.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
mwheinz
award-winning bozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
If you really like an LCD e-reader, you should spend the extra $150 or so and get the Nook color if you can.
That does seem to be the consensus. I was hoping to use this one mostly as an inexpensive way to explore Android - and I was even willing to hack the firmware and so on - but the basic functionality was so poor, that just wasn't an option.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
I was hoping to use this one mostly as an inexpensive way to explore Android - and I was even willing to hack the firmware and so on - but the basic functionality was so poor, that just wasn't an option.
That was my hope as well but I think I've seen enough to get it. Now that CES is just about over, I think there will be a flood of Android devices for sale on eBay as people upgrade. If you can wait a bit, better devices to choose from will be available.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
Thread moved from "Deals, Freebies, and Resources" to "Android Devices".

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
In my case, the PDN is not available at Khol's. They were all sent back.
Not all of them. Some stores have sent them back. Others have not. People are still getting them in Kohl's today.

Beware though that the Cruz and the PDN are sisters. Basically the same tablet except the PDN runs faster at 800Mhz. I find it fine as a tablet. If you update the 2d/3d drivers and install the DVM optimized for the Samsung chip, it's snappier. Overall speed is about 30% faster and if you are one of those that do linear algebra on your ereader, it's about 3 times faster.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post
Not all of them. Some stores have sent them back. Others have not. People are still getting them in Kohl's today.
Not in Southern Los Angeles County. I've gone in person and called around and can't find any (that's why I said "In my case").
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
I bought the $99 VC reader yesterday at Best Buy. After 3 hours, I took it back.

I knew it would be sluggish.

I knew it would be heavy.

I knew the touch screen would be relatively unresponsive.

I expected to at least be able to turn pages in my books.

Either the Borders app or the touch screen itself was so utterly unresponsive that, while I could type in text (by pushing down till I saw the letter appear) I simply could not scroll in the borders app at all. Oddly enough, I think the bug must be in the borders app - because I was able to scroll the desktop screen.

In other news, I could not figure out a way to delete my borders id from the app, so I had to change my password before I returned the unit.
I tried it and I can that my experience was a whole better than yours. Really I think it is well worth the money.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
mwheinz
award-winning bozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scveteran View Post
I tried it and I can that my experience was a whole better than yours. Really I think it is well worth the money.
scveteran,

The behavior was so bad I did wonder if I simply got a bad unit; it's good to hear someone else had a much better experience.