Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
mstrauss
mstrauss began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Question Help, nook frozen

So, I was reading on my nook, got the low battery warning and ignored it as I always do until the battery dies. Went to turn the page and it is frozen. I have plugged it in and it is charging but the page still won't turn. What can I do to fix this?
mstrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
When mine freezes from time to time, I just power it down completely and then power it back on again (soft reset). I would wait until you have a charge on it though, as you should not power it down while it is charging.

Per the Manual:
NOTE: Do not turn off your NookColor while it is charging.

Also Per the Manual:
If for some reason the NookColor becomes unresponsive, you can perform a soft reset to restart the device.
1. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds, then release the power button
2. Press and release the power button again for 2 seconds to turn your NookColor on.

Last edited by leday; 01-09-2011 at 10:48 AM.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
mstrauss
mstrauss began at the beginning.

Thanks, will wait until it's fully charged and try that.
mstrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
You're welcome. However, ALSO per the Manual:
Avoid fully discharging the battery. Charge your NookColor after several hours of use or when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns itself off.

There is a lot of good information in the manual that can optimize the performance of your device. You just need to read through all of it.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
I ran mine down to below 10% the other day, and eventually it kicked a message up saying it had to be plugged in immediately and wouldn't function any longer. Even after plugging it in, it mentioned something about having to charge for at least 15 minutes before it would fire up again.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Yeah, the battery could be damaged if it's allowed to run down to far. Plug it in, let it charge for a bit. Let the screen saver come up. Wake it up and go to your book. You should be ok.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
mandy300
mandy300 began at the beginning.

Frozen Nook

So if its just a frozen screen here's what to do (according to the Barnes and Noble phone help-line):

1) Take the battery out of your nook (directions are online...just google search it).

2) Hold the power button down for a full minute (the screen won't unfreeze...its just to make sure that the nook is off).

3) Let the nook sit without the battery for a half hour to make sure it is fully dead (DON'T plug it in without the battery...it does more damage than good).

4) Put the battery back in and THEN charge it for 2-3 hours.

Mine froze and I tried to charge it without the battery in and nothing happened, but when I followed the Barnes and Noble advice, after about an hour of charging with the battery in, the nook went from frozen to charging. I let it charge for another hour or two and it was fine...

Good Luck!
mandy300 is offline   Reply With Quote