Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any way of exporting bookmarks in Shubooks?

Just did a test where I added a bookmark to a book and then exported it, deleted it on the iPhone, and then imported it.

Alas, neither my revised title, author, or bookmark was preserved!

Anyone know how to backup books with bookmarks?

----------------

Just noticed something else. After deleting the book and reinstalling it, my "Other" files (category shown in iTunes) went up! Uh-oh!

Last edited by robinson; 01-27-2013 at 08:03 AM.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
This functionality is absolutely crucial for me. I've just mentioned this in the Marvin thread.

Competition is a good thing. I know the ShuBook developer is a hard-working and forthcoming person. Let him know that a competing app like Marvin is capable of exporting bookmarks, highlights and annotations with a touch of a button. And you can also restore them with a touch of a button later on, even if you deleted the book in the meantime. You can also send your highlights and annotations to another Marvin user, who can then load them in his/her own copy of the same book.

Good luck communicating these needs to Apple or Amazon. They will ignore you, because they're not really interested in customer feedback. I know that the ShuBook developer is different. Right now, Marvin is the only e-reader app (as far as I'm aware) that allows you to do what you wish to accomplish with highlights/annotations.

If ShuBook also develops this feature, so much the better! The two apps can inspire each other, each trying to excel. For example, I recommended to the Marvin developer to imitate, if possible, the wealth of OPDS catalogue options offered by ShuBook. In no other e-reader app have I seen the OPDS feature laid out so well as in ShuBook.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's intriguing-- Amazon does provide a backup service for annotations but, at least a while ago, it required making your annotations *public*!

Does Marvin work its magic locally? Or, does it require one's notes and bookmarks being hosted on a cloud somewhere?!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
Does Marvin work its magic locally? Or, does it require one's notes and bookmarks being hosted on a cloud somewhere?!
Marvin does it very elegantly -- via email!

You have 2 options in Marvin:
  • export highlights and annotations in a standard (and human-readable) XHTML file
  • export bookmarks, highlights and annotations in a special backup format (MRV file)
As soon as you touch the menu option, an email message opens, with the XHTML or MRV file attached. I then email it to myself, which makes it available on all my computers as well as handheld devices.

If you delete a book and later wish to restore your bookmarks/highlights/annotations, just look up that email message and open the MRV file from it. That's it. You also get the option to either merge your current bookmarks/highlights/annotations with those in the MRV file, or to replace them with what is in the MRV file.

In the same way, if you wish to share your bookmarks/highlights/annotations with someone else, it couldn't be easier. Two taps with your finger, and that's it -- you simply email the MRV file to them.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
robinson
Zealot

Faterson, good info! Appreciate the reply!